Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

News - 9 July 2019

Report | Brechin City 0-3 Falkirk - By Steven Mew

City finished their pre-season preparations against Ray McKinnon's Falkirk side yesterday evening, with the Bairns running out comfortable 3-0 winners at Glebe Park.

With the competitive action getting underway against Forfar this weekend, Manager Barry Smith fielded 4 trialists from the start as he looks to add to his his squad ahead of the Betfred Cup clash.

It was a frantic start to the game with a City shot being blocked following Olly Hamilton's cutback whilst ex-Scotland international Paul Dixon blazed over the bar from range at the other end.

The visitors opened the scoring after 13 minutes. Dixon provided the cross for DENNY JOHNSTONE whose header looped into the far corner with the aid of a deflection.

Three minutes later City's trialist goalkeeper Lewis McMinn had to produce a outstanding save to deny Connolly's rasping effort from range.

The Bairns were spraying the ball about well with some intricate one touch football - they would come close again when Tidser's shot was blocked into the path of Telfer who skewed his shot wide.

City were forced into an early substitution when the lively Olly Hamilton picked up an injury - he was replaced by trialist number 14.

Ray McKinnon's side will be wondering how they didn't manage to double their advantage on the half hour mark. An initial shot from Tidser deflected onto the underside of the bar and from the rebound McMinn managed to get a hand to Sammon's effort - the ball then fell for Johnstone just yards out but on the turn he somehow struck wide of the post.

Despite the visitors dominating, City came close to an equaliser on 37 minutes when Ryan McCord headed against the bar from McLaughlin's corner.

Shortly before the break McMinn got down well to smother a low shot from Tidser on the edge of the box and moments later Sammon blazed a shot over the bar.

Barry Smith made a few changes at the break as he cast his eye over a few more trialists whilst the visitors were unchanged.

Six minutes into the second half McCord tried his luck from range but his effort sailed over the bar and shortly after, McMinn in the City goal did well to tip a volley from Connolly over the bar.

Michael Doyle impressed for the Bairns down the right hand side and he came close when he burst through on goal only to be denied by the inside of the post.

On the hour mark, Mark Durnan had the ball in the net however the referee had already blown for a penalty for a tug on Buchanan in the box. CONOR SAMMON stepped up and confidently dispatched the spot kick, sending McMinn the wrong way.

Falkirk made a host of changes following the goal which disrupted their flow ever so slightly but McMinn continued to impress between the sticks with a fine save to deny a trialist and before pushing away an almost certain own goal.

Five minutes from time, City's trialist number 15 looked to be take advantage of a poor clearance but his shot was easily gathered by Mutch in the Falkirk goal.

With time running out, Falkirk added a third goal when trialist Mehdi Mina lofted a ball over the top for another trialist to guide over the advancing McMinn and into the net.

Overall, another gruelling pre-season workout for the City squad against a strong Falkirk side who will be fully expected to lift the League 1 title at the end of the season.

Brechin City: Trialist, McIntosh, McLaughlin, Watt, Hill, Trialist, Hamilton, Trialist, McManus, McCord, Trialist. Subs: O'Neil (GK), all trialists.

Falkirk FC: Bell, Doyle, Dixon, Buchanan, Durnan, Connolly, McShane, Johnstone, Tidser, Sammon, Telfer. Subs: Mutch (GK), all trialists.

Scorers: Johnstone (14), Sammon (60 pen), Trialist (90)

Referee: Grant Irvine