Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

News - 02 November 2018

Raith Rovers v Brechin City - Match Preview - By Steven Mew

Interim Manager Stevie Campbell takes Brechin City to Starks Park for Saturday's game with against Raith Rovers on the back of what has admittedly been a difficult week for The Club, given the departure of Manager Darren Dods and his assistant Lee Bailey.

Whether City would choose to face a full-time team on their own patch in these circumstances is debatable, but that's what the Glebe Park side have ahead of them in the form of a Raith Rovers side rejuvenated by the arrival of John McGlynn as Manager - albeit doubtless now the proverbial wounded animal, still hurting from a surprise 3-2 defeat at Station Park against Forfar Athletic last weekend.

Campbell said, "This has been an unsettling week for the Club, with the players reporting for training on Tuesday only to find they were parting company with both Darren and Lee. It's understandable that there was an impact on the night, but I am delighted at the response with an exceptionally encouraging session at training on Thursday night. The players know that the team performance in the last two games in particular has fallen well short of what we know we're capable of, and there's a renewed determination to put that right on Saturday."

It hasn't passed the interim manager by that, following the departure of Dods and Bailey, the first on-the-field challenge takes place at the scene of one of their finest Brechin City moments. Campbell added "City supporters won't need reminded of the outcome of our last visit to Starks Park - but to quote a much over-used phrase, that's football."

In terms of squad news, the only absentees are long term injury victim Dene Shields, and midfielder Jordan Sinclair - with everyone else fit and available for selection. That includes Dougie Hill who was substituted against Montrose last weekend. Campbell commented, "We reckon Sinky is still a couple of weeks away from a return, but the good news for Deno is that he has had his operation today (Friday) and now begins his road to recovery. Everyone wishes him well as we all fully recognise, even despite his injury and how he must be feeling about it, just what a positive influence he is in and around the squad at training and on matchdays."

The match referee tomorrow is Graham Beaton. He will be assisted by David Doig and Gary Hanvidge. Beaton has already taken charge of a City game this season in the 1-0 victory over East Fife at Glebe Park.

Brechin City supporters will be housed in the Turnbull Hutton (Main) Stand. Admission prices are as follows:

- Adult £15
- Students £10*
- Concession (under 16 and over 65) £8*
- Parent & Child £20*

* Concessions must purchase a ticket from the ticket office before entering the turnstiles. Proof of status may be required.

As a mark of respect to those who lost their lives in last weekend's tragic helicopter crash at the King Power Stadium, Leicester, there will be a minutes silence held before kickoff.

Brechin City Supporters Club are running a coach to the game which will leave Mackie Motors Bus Stance at 10:45am and thereafter from St Ninians Square at 11am. To book your seat on the bus, please contact Ann-Marie on 07725 761429 or leave your name on the Supporters Club facebook page. The bus has kindly been sponsored by Ed & Gabriel Williams.

There was derby day disappointment for City as they slumped to a 3-1 defeat at home to near neighbours Montrose. Sean Burns gave City the lead early in the second half but goals from Martin Rennie (2) and Craig Johnston handed the Gables Endies a deserved win at Glebe Park.

Raith didn't fare much better last weekend as they lost 3-2 to Forfar at Station Park. The Rovers were leading 2-1 at the break but Forfar netted twice in the second half to ensure the points remained in Angus.

The sides clashed at Glebe Park in September as Boris Melingui's late header rescued a deserved point for City. Top scorer Kevin Nisbet had opened the scoring for the visitors from the spot mid-way through the second half.

It would be difficult for City fans to forget the last trip to Starks Park as City progressed to the Championship playoff final two seasons ago after a pulsating tie which ended 4-4 on aggregate. City won 4-3 on penalties, with Andy Jackson tucking away the decisive spot kick following some heroics by keeper Graeme Smith.