Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Cowdenbeath 1 Brechin City 3

Match Report - By Webmaster

Brechin City prouduced an excellent second half display at Central Park, where Michael O’Neill returned for the first time since leaving his post as assistant boss to come to Glebe Park.

The result was Cowdenbeath’s first defeat since March the 11th last season, when ‘The Blue Brazil’ lost 1-0 to Berwick Rangers. Even more impressive for City was the fact that the result was achieved in the face of horrendous injury problems that got only worse as the 90 minutes elapsed.

Already robbed of the services of centre-back, Scott Walker and left-back Stuart Ferguson, City were also denied the services for 6-8 weeks of right-back Craig McEwan who was the victim of a late challenge by Liam Buchanan, which led to him being stretchered off.

Michael O’Neill reverted to a 4-4-2 formation, with Ross Archibald starting his first league game for the club at right-back and the aforementioned Craig McEwan switching to left-back.

City enjoyed a positive start to the game, and what looked like a routine drive from John Ward was fumbled away by goalkeeper David Orr at the second attempt.

Cowdenbeath then showed why they had scored 18 goals in their previous four games, with a spell of pressure. Striker Pat Clarke fired past the City upright and then following a serious of corners, Frenchman Morgaro Gomis fired high and wide after the ball broke to him on the edge of the area.

Craig McEwan hooked Laurie Ellis’ header off the line, as Cowdenbeath tried to get their noses in front.

Stuart Callaghan was next to create for Brechin. The midfielder’s angled drive from 25 yards was once again blocked by the goalkeeper in anything but a confident manner.

The game ebbed and flowed in midfield with City giving little away. However, they were dealt a blow two minutes from half-time. John Ward appeared to be fouled when he went up for a high ball with Clarke, the referee allowed play to continue and the ball broke to Liam Buchanan whose initial effort was blocked by Craig McEwan, only for him to lob the rebound into the far corner.

Although Cowdenbeath had enjoyed the lion’s share of first half possession, City were a bit unfortunate to be going in a goal behind at half-time.

Two minutes into the restart, parity was restored. Paddy Connolly held the ball up inside the box and got the better of Mark Baxter, before curling a tremendous goal into Orr’s top right-hand corner.

The goal was just the lift City needed and Kevin Byers and Grant Johnson took control of the midfield and it looked like City would increase their lead before long. The second goal arrived courtesy of a set piece. John Ward hammered a header off the crossbar and Grant Johnson timed his run perfectly to glance a clever header into the back of the net.
City continued to hold the upper hand, but the home side were always a threat going forward, especially on the counter attack. It took the Cowdenbeath manager’s wee brother, Markus Paatelainen, to give them a glimmer of hope. He picked up the ball down the right flank and cut inside and unleashed a tremendous drive from 20 yards, which rebounded off Craig Nelson’s post.

The only other scare a solid looking City rearguard had to endure was a shot from defender, Laurie Ellis, who fired over from a good position, following a corner.

City undoubtedly saved the best till last with a third goal that not only clinched the game, but also produced the best quality goal the side have scored this season. Ross Archibald started things off inside his own half, he slid the ball inside to Kevin Byers whose exquisite return ball was then run down to the byline by Archibald, before he delivered a pin-point cross to the head of Paddy Connolly, who had nipped in between central defenders, Gary Smith and Innnes Ritchie.

Brechin could have added a fourth when Geddes raced away on a through ball, only to be crowded out by Ritchie. And Callaghan tried his luck with an audacious lob from the halfway line that Orr was happy to see over the bar.

An excellent display, especially in the second period from City. Ward and White were outstanding centre-backs. In midfield there were no failures from Byers, who excelled as the game went on, Smith who was everywhere, Callaghan whose passing is always a danger for the opposition and Johnson who makes the game look simple.

Paddy Connolly was obviously the pick of the front duo with two well-taken counters, which will hopefully be the first of many. Brechin’s Grant Johnson and John Ward and Cowdenbeath’s Laurie Ellis and Innes Ritchie were booked in what was a highly entertaining game.

Other Results - Bell's League Division 2

Forfar Athletic 0 Alloa Athletic 2

Good result for Alloa at Forfar.

Morton 0 Ayr United 0

Share of the spoils for Morton and Ary.

Peterhead 0 Raith Rovers 1

Cracking win for Raith up north.

Stirling Albion 3 Stranraer 3

Goals galore at Forthbank as Stranraer and Stirling share 6.


19 August 2006
Central Park
Attendance: 707
Liam Buchanan 43
Paddy Connolly 47
Grant Johnson 52
Paddy Connolly 67

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Craig McEwan
3 John Ward
4 David White
5 Ross Archibald
6 Kevin Byers
7 Stuart Callaghan
8 Grant Johnson
9 Darren Smith
10 Chris Geddes
11 Paddy Connolly
12 Richard Walker
14 Steve Hampshire
15 Iain Russell
16 Scott Devlin
17 John Hillcoat


  • On: Steve Hampshire
    Off: Chris Geddes ( 71 )
  • On: Scott Devlin
    Off: Craig McEwan ( 78 )
  • On: Iain Russell
    Off: Paddy Connolly ( 87 )


1 David Orr
2 Mark Baxter
3 Innes Ritchie
4 Gary Smith
5 Laurie Ellis
6 Patrick Scullion
7 Morgaro Gomis
8 Markus Paatelainen
9 Liam Buchanan
10 Scott Dalziel
11 Patrick Clarke
12 Martyn Fotheringham
14 Gary Fusco
15 Graham Guy
16 Kevin McBride
17 Kyle Allison


  • On: Martyn Fotheringham
    Off: Patrick Scullion ( 55 )
  • On: Kevin McBride
    Off: Scott Dalziel ( 71 )
  • On: Graham Guy
    Off: Laurie Ellis ( 84 )