Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brora Rangers 1 Brechin City 2

Match Report - By Steven Mew

A brace from Ewan Loudon, including a stoppage time winner proved not to be enough for City as they missed out on the Highland League title on goal difference yesterday afternoon.

It was ultimately a day of disappointment for the sizeable travelling support as Buckie Thistle clinched the Championship with a 1-0 win over Keith at Victoria Park, with the Jags going into the Pyramid Playoff against East Kilbride next week.

With drainage works underway at Dudgeon Park, the match was played 6 miles down the road at King George V Park in Golspie. City knew going into the game that they would need to better Buckie Thistle’s result, or if both sides won then City would need to better the Jags scoreline by 3 goals.

Manager Gavin Price made two changes from the side that edged out Keith in midweek, with Marc Scott and Danny Handling returning for Murray Mackintosh and Jamie Richardson.

The home side were first to threaten within the opening minute when Lewis Hyde threaded a ball forward for Tony Dingwall who fired over the bar.

Just a minute later, Kevin McHattie came close with a 30 yard strike which flew inches wide of the post and shortly after, Marc Scott darted down the left hand side before blasting a shot wide of the near post.

The Cattachs were looking to get their first win in 6 outings and came close on 11 minutes when Lewis Hyde’s shot was deflected for a corner. On the quarter hour mark, a corner caused havoc inside the box before Seth Patrick cleared only as far as Hyde who placed his shot wide.

After netting his first goal of the season in midweek, Kevin McHattie clearly had the confidence as he had another shot from range but this time he didn’t quite get the right connection and dragged wide.

Ten minutes before the break, City eventually managed to make the breakthrough when a cross from Marc Scott was spilled by Logan Ross, with EWAN LOUDON on hand to take full advantage as he blasted high into the net from close range.

Things looked even more promising for City just a minute after the restart when home defender Josh Meekings was given a straight red for dissent.

The advantage really should have been doubled on the stroke of half time when a volley from Lewis Martin again wasn’t held by the goalkeeper and Grady McGrath somehow found the net netting from the rebound.

With news filtering through that Buckie Thistle had a narrow advantage elsewhere, City certainly looked in the mood early in the second half as they piled men forward in search of goals. Within seconds of the restart, Ross did well to tip over a volley from McGrath before Lewis Martin headed straight at the keeper from Danny Handling’s delivery.

Marc Scott then had a shot which was deflected wide and City would come even closer a few minutes later when Handling burst through one-on-one with the keeper, but he was denied by the legs of Logan Ross who did well to close the angle.

McGrath then came close twice with left sided free kicks – the first somehow flew inches wide of the far post with no takers whilst the other went just over.

There was a scare for City just after the hour mark when a swerving free kick from Dale Gillespie nearly caught out Lenny Wilson in the City goal, but he managed his get a strong arm to it and gather at the second attempt.

Fraser MacLeod and Kevin McHattie both had efforts off target and City were made to pay for their missed opportunities as the home side levelled things up in the 71st minute. Some hesitant defending from Euan Spark inside the box saw him lose possession and TONY DINGWALL skipped past a couple of challenges before firing low into the corner.

The goal appeared to give the Cattachs a lift and City had Lenny Wilson to thank for keeping the scoreline level on 79 minutes – Martin Maclean broke clear of the defence but Wilson did supremely well to save at his feet.

With time starting to run out, Lewis Martin was denied by a goalline clearance and he would come close again a few minutes later when a McHattie strike was deflected into his path but he could only head straight at the keeper from close range.

Five minutes into stoppage time, City did manage to grab the winner when EWAN LOUDON latched on to a slack back-pass to slide the ball under the advancing Logan Ross.

Shortly after the goal, Grady McGrath was given a straight red card by referee Dan McFarlane as he clashed with goalkeeper Logan Ross when attempting to retrieve the ball at a corner.

That would prove to be the last action of the game and despite grabbing the win late on, it would prove to be too little too late as City missed out on the title by two goals.

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Buckie Thistle 1 Keith 0

Clachnacuddin 2 Lossiemouth 0

Deveronvale 0 Formartine United 3

Forres Mechanics 1 Turriff United 0

Fraserburgh 11 Strathspey Thistle 0

Wick Academy 1 Banks O' Dee 1


20 April 2024
King George V Park
Attendance: 0
Tony Dingwall 71
Ewan Loudon 36
Ewan Loudon 90

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
3 Kevin McHattie
4 Lewis Martin
6 Euan Spark
7 Marc Scott
8 Seth Patrick
9 Grady McGrath
10 Danny Handling
11 Fraser MacLeod
18 Ewan Loudon
20 Craig Tosh
2 Ryan Ferguson
5 Hamish Thomson
12 Michael Cruickshank
14 Sean Hastie
15 Murray Mackintosh
16 Jamie Richardson
17 Anthony McDonald
19 Nathan Cooney
23 Jamie McCabe


  • On: Jamie Richardson
    Off: Danny Handling ( 64 )
  • On: Anthony McDonald
    Off: Marc Scott ( 71 )
  • On: Sean Hastie
    Off: Craig Tosh ( 80 )

Brora Rangers

1 Logan Ross
3 Ally MacDonald
4 Colin Williamson
6 Josh Meekings
7 Tony Dingwall
8 Martin Maclean
13 Dale Gillespie
18 Lewis Hyde
19 Kyle Macleod
20 Alex Cooper
11 Alasdair Sutherland
2 Ross Hardie
5 Mark Nicolson
9 Jordan Macrae
14 Gregor MacDonald
15 Millar Gamble
23 Paul Brindle
21 Danny Gillan