Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Fraserburgh 4 Brechin City 2

Match Report - By Steven Mew

The battle of the Highland League top two saw Fraserburgh emerge victorious in difficult conditions at Bellslea Park yesterday afternoon.

It proved to be a hugely frustrating afternoon for City with the hosts coping better with the near gale-force winds throughout the match.

Manager Gavin Price made two changes from the side that edged out Wick Academy last weekend, with Fraser MacLeod and Matthew Wright coming in at the expense of Ryan Ferguson and Grady McGrath.

With the wind behind them, the home side looked to take advantage early on with Scott Barbour shooting straight at Wilson from just inside the box and a couple of minutes later, Aiden Sopel curled in a free kick which went wide of the far post.

The Broch opened the scoring on 10 minutes when William West rose above MacLeod to head the ball forward and RYAN SARGENT sneaked in behind the defence to slot beyond the on-rushing Wilson and into the net.

City reacted to going behind in the best possible way as they got themselves back on level terms just two minutes later. Ewan Loudon collected the ball down the left hand side and he played a pass in to FRASER MACLEOD who let fly with a strike from 20 yards which sailed into the corner with the aid of a deflection.

Midway through the half, Fraserburgh put City under pressure with Ross Aitken firing over from long range before Lenny Wilson tipped over an in-swinging corner from Scott Barbour.

The following corner caused all kinds of havoc in the box, before the ball was cleared only as far as Greg Buchan who produced a powerful strike from range which was palmed over the bar by Wilson.

Aiden Sopel was next to threaten for the home side when he collected a loose ball on the edge of the box before firing a low strike which went just inches wide of the near post.

City were understandably struggling going forward against the wind but they did come close on 27 minutes when Matty Wright was denied by Joe Barbour in the Broch goal before Seth Patrick fired over.

Immediately up at the other end, City had Lenny Wilson to thank for keeping the scoreline level as he made a fine double save to deny Sargent and Buchan.

With 35 minutes on the clock, Fraserburgh were awarded a hotly disputed penalty when Lewis Martin appeared to clearly win the ball inside the box, however much to the dismay of the City players and travelling support the referee pointed to the spot. KIERAN SIMPSON kept his cool to dispatch the penalty straight down the middle to put the hosts back in front.

Two minutes before the break, the Broch extended their advantage. A corner from the left hand side was headed towards goal and bobbled off the unfortunate MacLeod into the path of JAMIE BEAGRIE who was quickest to react to prod the ball home from a few yards out.

Despite going in at the break two goals behind, there was still plenty of optimism that City could turn things around with the wind behind them in the second period. That optimism was boosted further with the introduction of top-scorer Grady McGrath as he replaced Hamish Thomson who had been struggling with injury.

With 56 minutes played, things certainly looked on the up for City as they halved the deficit. Lewis Martin’s low cross into the box found DANNY HANDLING in the centre of the box and he made no mistake, producing a deft finish into the bottom corner.

Just four minutes later City really should have been level. A long throw by Martin out on the right was flicked on by Handling to the back post where Matty Wright was lurking unmarked, but he somehow screwed wide of the target.

City were struggling to use the wind to their advantage and their task became a lot harder when the home side were awarded another penalty in the 72nd minute when Seth Patrick brought down William West with a clumsy challenge inside the box. Defender KIERAN SIMPSON stepped up again and this time he fired low under the body of Wilson.

Ewan Loudon headed over from McHattie’s deep free kick before City were given a lifeline 8 minutes from time when they were awarded a penalty when MacLeod went down under the challenge of West in the box. Danny Handling stepped up to take but his spot kick was well saved by Joe Barbour who dived to his left.

With time running out, Grady McGrath came close with a rasping shot which was diverted away from goal by the head of a Broch defender.

Referee Lewis Brown called time on an ultimately disappointing afternoon for City, bringing the home side firmly back into the title race. Next up for City is a trip to face Keith at Kynoch Park on Wednesday evening (8pm kick off).

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Banks O' Dee 2 Huntly 1

Deveronvale 2 Inverurie Locos 1

Nairn County 0 Formartine United 2

Turriff United 7 Strathspey Thistle 1


6 April 2024
Bellslea Park
Attendance: 0
Ryan Sargent 10
Kieran Simpson 35 (Pen)
Jamie Beagrie 43
Kieran Simpson 72 (Pen)
Fraser MacLeod 12
Danny Handling 56

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
3 Kevin McHattie
4 Lewis Martin
5 Hamish Thomson
6 Euan Spark
8 Seth Patrick
10 Danny Handling
11 Fraser MacLeod
16 Jamie Richardson
18 Ewan Loudon
21 Matthew Wright
2 Ryan Ferguson
9 Grady McGrath
12 Michael Cruickshank
15 Murray Mackintosh
17 Anthony McDonald
19 Nathan Cooney
20 Craig Tosh
22 Luke Strachan
23 Jamie McCabe


  • On: Grady McGrath
    Off: Hamish Thomson ( 46 )
  • On: Craig Tosh
    Off: Ewan Loudon ( 78 )
  • On: Murray Mackintosh
    Off: Seth Patrick ( 78 )


1 Joe Barbour
3 Bryan Hay
5 Kieran Simpson
6 Paul Young
7 Jamie Beagrie
8 William West
9 Aidan Sopel
10 Ryan Sargent
11 Scott Barbour
16 Greg Buchan
22 Ross Aitken
4 Ryan Cowie
12 Connor Wood
14 Logan Watt
15 Josh Bolton
17 Sean Butcher
18 Callum Kelly
20 Joshua Hawkins
21 Sam Inglis


  • On: Logan Watt
    Off: Ross Aitken ( 72 )
  • On: Sean Butcher
    Off: Scott Barbour ( 81 )