Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Wick Academy 1 Brechin City 2

Match Report - By Steven Mew

Winger Craig Tosh chose the perfect time to net his first City goal as we returned to winning ways yesterday afternoon with a hard-fought 3-points against Wick Academy at Harmsworth Park.

With the Scorries recording 3-1 victories over Formartine United and Buckie Thistle in their previous two home fixtures, City knew the danger that lay ahead and it certainly proved to be a tough 90 minutes in Caithness.

Manager Gavin Price made two changes to the side that lost to Buckie in midweek, with Ryan Ferguson and Jamie Richardson coming into the side for Luke Strachan and Murray Mackintosh.

On a pleasant spring afternoon, City were first to threaten after 4 minutes when Lewis Martin drilled in a cross for Ewan Loudon to glance wide of goal.

On 8 minutes Kevin McHattie committed a foul 20 yards from goal but the resulting free kick from Kyle Henderson failed to properly test Lenny Wilson as he gathered with ease.

Two minutes later, Grady McGrath made a run from midfield and cut inside on his left foot but his strike from the edge of the box was straight at the keeper.

The home side had a glorious chance on the break just after the quarter hour mark. Kyle Henderson sent Marc MacGregor clear through on goal but the striker could only shoot wide of the near post under pressure from Jamie Richardson.

Shortly after, however, City were ahead. GRATH MCGRATH collected a pass from Danny Handling 20 yards from goal and his volley on the turn was spilled into the net by home keeper Graeme Williamson.

The advantage would only last 10 minutes as the Scorries got themselves back level. A poor header from Euan Spark inside the box fell for KYLE HENDERSON inside the area and his shot found the bottom corner.

Just after the half hour mark, Ewan Loudon latched onto a clever flick by McGrath but he was denied by the keeper from close range and Loudon would threaten again a minute later when he made a great turn to get away from his man in the box but his strike was well blocked.

On 37 minutes a lobbed ball forward was misjudged by Spark which allowed Kyle Henderson a run in on goal but Wilson out quickly to block – the rebound fell for MacGregor but his lob was well wide.

Gavin Price made a change at the break as Fraser MacLeod replaced Ryan Ferguson in midfield and ten minutes into the second period Grady McGrath fired a free kick straight at Williamson.

Shortly after Kevin McHattie tried his luck from range but his left footed strike flew narrowly over the crossbar. At the other end, Marc MacGregor did supremely well to turn away from Hamish Thomson to give himself a run at goal but his strike was wild and ended up well over.

Although City were in control of the game, they were struggling to create many real openings so it came as a real relief to the travelling support when substitute CRAIG TOSH put City back in front on 71 minutes. Fellow sub Matthew Wright swung in a fine delivery to the back post for ‘Tosher’ to head in his first goal for the Club.

Five minutes after the goal, there were claims for a City penalty when Ewan Loudon’s strike from the edge of the box appeared to come off the outstretched arm of Owen Rendall in the box however referee Jamie McCunnie waved play on.

Ten minutes from time Craig Tosh rose highest to meet a corner from Fraser MacLeod but he could only glance wide of the post.

As the game approached 90 minutes, there were shouts for a City penalty again when Ewan Loudon appeared to be tugged back by Robert McLean on the right hand edge of the box but again the referee was not interested in the claims.

City defended resolutely to see the game out and earn a crucial win against a side that hadn’t lost at home since November. The result saw City extend their lead at the top with Fraserburgh out of league action whilst Banks O’ Dee were defeated at Clachnacuddin. Buckie Thistle meanwhile dropped points in a 0-0 draw in Banff against Deveronvale.

It’s another tough one up next for City as we travel to face a Keith side that have gone 10 league games unbeaten. The game takes place at Kynoch Park this coming Wednesday with an 8pm kick off.

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Clachnacuddin 1 Banks O' Dee 0

Deveronvale 0 Buckie Thistle 0

Forres Mechanics 0 Formartine United 4

Keith 1 Huntly 0

Strathspey Thistle 0 Nairn County 4

Turriff United 0 Lossiemouth 0

Wick Academy 1 Brechin City 2


30 March 2024
Harmsworth Park
Attendance: 0
Kyle Henderson 28
Grady McGrath 18
Craig Tosh 71

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
2 Ryan Ferguson
3 Kevin McHattie
4 Lewis Martin
5 Hamish Thomson
6 Euan Spark
8 Seth Patrick
9 Grady McGrath
10 Danny Handling
16 Jamie Richardson
18 Ewan Loudon
11 Fraser MacLeod
12 Michael Cruickshank
15 Murray Mackintosh
17 Anthony McDonald
19 Nathan Cooney
20 Craig Tosh
21 Matthew Wright
22 Luke Strachan
23 Jamie McCabe


  • On: Fraser MacLeod
    Off: Ryan Ferguson ( 46 )
  • On: Craig Tosh
    Off: Lewis Martin ( 52 )
  • On: Matthew Wright
    Off: Jamie Richardson ( 67 )
  • On: Murray Mackintosh
    Off: Danny Handling ( 81 )

Wick Academy

1 Graeme Williamson
22 Brandon Sinclair
27 Ryan Campbell
2 Owen Harrold
26 Robert McLean
29 Owen Rendall
8 Jack Halliday
7 Ross Gunn
23 Gordon MacNab
9 Marc MacGregor
15 Kyle Henderson
16 Conor Farquhar
24 Gary Pullen
21 Matthew Aitkenhead
19 George Ewing
25 Billy Miller