Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Forres Mechanics 1 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City dropped two valuable points in the title race as they had to settle for a draw in difficult conditions against Forres Mechanics yesterday evening.

Blustery conditions undoubtedly made things difficult for either side to get into any kind of rhythm, however City will be bitterly disappointed not to come away with a win against a side struggling for form.

City have found it difficult at Mosset Park over the last couple of seasons and yesterday evening proved to be no exception.

Manager Gavin Price continued to rotate his squad with four changes from the weekend victory over Deveronvale – Ryan Ferguson, Fraser MacLeod, Matthew Wright and Luke Strachan all coming in from the start.

With the wind at their backs in the first half, City looked to take advantage early on with Lewis Martin heading over a long throw from Luke Strachan whilst Marc Scott had a strike deflected into the keepers arms.

The home side looked to soak up the pressure and catch City on the break and they came close on 17 minutes when Calum Frame got in behind the City defence but he couldn’t keep his composure, blasting well over the bar.

Kevin McHattie tried his luck with a 25 yard free kick which Corey Paterson did well to push away, whilst at the other end Jack Grant fired over the bar under pressure.

McHattie and Loudon both came close whilst a snapshot from Fraser MacLeod on 37 minutes nearly caught the keeper out with a bobble in the goalmouth, saving in unorthodox fashion as it came off his face.

Five minutes before the break, MacLeod showed great improvisation inside the box only for his backheel to be saved by the keeper.

On the stroke of half time, there were strong shouts for a penalty when an attempted clearance struck the hand of a Forres defender inside the box however the referee waved away the claims.

Within seconds of the restart, Matthew Wright fizzed a low shot from 20 yards which Paterson managed to gather at the second attempt and five minutes later Wright came close again when his shot on the turn was again kept out by the Forres keeper.

Gavin Price made his first change of the evening after 57 minutes when GRADY MCGRATH replaced Matthew Wright upfront and the substitution paid immediate dividends. Fraser Macleod fired a low cross into the box and McGrath showed his predatory instincts to be in the right place at the right time to fire into the corner from close range.

The travelling support may be forgiven for thinking the goal would give City a lift and the confidence to push on, however instead it was the home side that went on to have a positive spell.

Defender Calum Howarth came close when he nodded against the post from a corner and just a few minutes later, there was another scare when a missed clearance from Ryan Ferguson allowed Benjamin Kelly the opportunity just 8 yards from goal however Lewis Martin did supremely well to get back and charge down the effort just as he looked to convert.

The brief period of pressure paid off for the hosts as they restored parity midway through the second half. A cross from the left looked to be flicked away by HAMISH THOMSON, but unfortunately for the big defender his header found the inside of the post and into the net.

Back came City with Lewis Martin heading over from a Fraser Macleod free kick, but the Cans Cans continued to be a threat at the other end and Mark McLauchlan flashed a shot wide of goal after a poor clearance from Seth Patrick.

With time starting to run out, City went in search of a late winner with Ewan Loudon flicking a header wide from substitute Jamie Richardson’s delivery and two minutes from time, Euan Spark headed wide from Danny Handling’s corner.

City were unable to force home a winner as their title hopes suffered a slight setback. Fortunately there is little time to dwell on the result and the players will undoubtedly be looking to put things right against Clachnacuddin at Grant Street Park on Saturday.

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Brora Rangers 2 Nairn County 1

Buckie Thistle 2 Banks O' Dee 1

Strathspey Thistle 1 Wick Academy 6


13 March 2024
Mosset Park
Attendance: 0
Hamish Thomson (O.G.) 69
Grady McGrath 58

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
2 Ryan Ferguson
3 Kevin McHattie
4 Lewis Martin
6 Euan Spark
7 Marc Scott
11 Fraser MacLeod
15 Murray Mackintosh
18 Ewan Loudon
21 Matthew Wright
22 Luke Strachan
5 Hamish Thomson
8 Seth Patrick
9 Grady McGrath
10 Danny Handling
12 Michael Cruickshank
16 Jamie Richardson
19 Nathan Cooney
20 Craig Tosh
23 Jamie McCabe


  • On: Grady McGrath
    Off: Matthew Wright ( 57 )
  • On: Seth Patrick
    Off: Ryan Ferguson ( 68 )
  • On: Hamish Thomson
    Off: Luke Strachan ( 68 )
  • On: Jamie Richardson
    Off: Kevin McHattie ( 75 )
  • On: Danny Handling
    Off: Fraser MacLeod ( 75 )

Forres Mechanics

1 Corey Paterson
19 Sam Nixon
3 Calum Howarth
4 Ryan McRitchie
6 Jack Walker
16 Taylor Thain
11 Calum Frame
8 Jack Grant
20 Benjamin Kelly
10 Craig Mackenzie
14 Mark McLauchlan
7 Sam Gordon
9 Shaun Morrison
2 Andrew Skinner
23 Owen MacDonald
15 Scot Docherty
21 Robert Donaldson