Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 10 Wick Academy 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

It was a 10/10 performance from City yesterday afternoon as they hit double figures without reply against Wick Academy at Glebe Park.

Five goals in each half meant City hit double figures for the first time in decades, handing Wick a crushing 10-0 hammering following a long 430 mile round-trip to Angus.

Goals from Grady McGrath (5), Marc Scott (2), Kieran Inglis (2) and Ewan Loudon (1) saw Andy Kirk’s ruthless side take 3 points and a significant boost to goal difference to keep the pressure on at the summit.

Kirk rotated his squad slightly for this one with a packed schedule coming up for City in the run-in. Nathan Cooney came in to replace Kevin McHattie whist Anthony McDonald was also rested for Michael McArthur.

City came flying out of the blocks as they piled the pressure on the Wick backline from the get-go. Marc Scott looked lively from the start and there were calls for a penalty in the 2nd minute as he went down in the box, but claims were waved away from the referee.

Four minutes in, MARC SCOTT opened the scoring as Fraser MacLeod picked him out nicely inside of the box before curling his inch perfect effort into the top left corner.

It was a sign of things to come in the game as Brechin peppered the Wick goal in the opening 10 minutes. Grady McGrath’s first effort of the game forced an excellent save from the Wick goalkeeper as he drilled a low effort at goal form the edge of the box.

Marc Scott then searched for his second in quick succession as he fired a shot through bodies in the box, but his effort was inches wide of the post.

GRADY MCGRATH was on hand to double the lead in the 13th minute as he pounced on poor Wick defending and smashed the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Just four minutes later, GRADY MCGRATH created another goal for himself, which he took in spectacular fashion. The striker dummied the ball to beat his man on the right before cutting inside and smashing the ball across the keeper and into the top corner.

It took GRADY MCGRATH just 12 minutes to secure his hat-trick. The striker was one of many bodies in the 6 yard box following a corner, but McGrath was quickest to react to tap home.

Just over the half hour mark, MARC SCOTT netted his second of the day after showing great technique, producing with an almost carbon copy of his first goal as he once again guided the ball into the top corner, giving the keeper absolutely no chance.

Just before the break, Wick’s keeper was there to keep the score down again with a great stop at his near post - McGrath’s heavily deflected effort looked to cause the goalkeeper issues but he did well to get down and turn it past the post for a corner.

Despite the 5 goal advantage, City showed no signs of stopping in the second half as GRADY MCGRATH bagged his fourth of the game in the 52nd minute, curling one past the keeper who couldn’t keep the shot out despite getting a fingertip to it.

Substitute EWAN LOUDON got in on the act an hour in. Jordan Northcott ran down the right before having a shot himself, the keeper was there to block the initial shot but parried it right Into the path of Loudon who had an easy finish at the back post to make it 7-0.

GRADY MCGRATH just couldn’t stop scoring as he banged in his 5th of the game in the 69th minute, showing great strikers instincts to get himself in the right place to tap in at the back post following Ewan Loudon’s header across goal.

Just minutes later, City were awarded a penalty which Grady McGrath stepped over as he hunted his double hat-trick, Grady placed his relatively soft effort to the left side of the goal, but the keeper guessed the right way and gathered the spot kick to deny him.

KIERAN INGLIS got in on the act with 15 minutes left on the clock. In the 77th minute he set himself for a shot just inside the box and smashed the shot over the keeper and just under the bar to extend the advantage.

The final minutes of the game saw City push for double digits - the Wick defence looked determined to keep City out but they kept knocking. Jordan Northcott was unlucky not to get himself on the scoresheet as he hit the woodwork twice in the final 10 minutes.

Three minutes from time, KIERAN INGLIS was there to nod home as the midfielder leaped to get on the end of Jamie Bains cross. His looping header went over the goalkeeper before slowly tapping in off of the post to grab the 10th and final goal of the game.

Overall it was an unbelievable display from City which gives the squad a real confidence boost going into another huge game on Wednesday as we face Fraserburgh at Bellslea Park.

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Banks O' Dee 4 Brora Rangers 3

Buckie Thistle 3 Nairn County 0

Fraserburgh 3 Lossiemouth 0

Inverurie Locos 3 Turriff United 1

Keith 2 Forres Mechanics 6


25 March 2023
Glebe Park
Attendance: 509
Marc Scott 4
Grady McGrath 13
Grady McGrath 17
Grady McGrath 25
Marc Scott 32
Grady McGrath 52
Ewan Loudon 60
Grady McGrath 69
Kieran Inglis 76
Kieran Inglis 87

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
2 Jamie Bain
5 Hamish Thomson
6 Nathan Cooney
7 Marc Scott
9 Grady McGrath
11 Kieran Inglis
15 Fraser MacLeod
16 Michael McArthur
20 Botti Biabi
24 Euan Spark
4 Aubrel Koutsimouka
3 Kevin McHattie
10 Anthony McDonald
17 Calum Ferguson
18 Ewan Loudon
22 Jordan Northcott
21 Dean Easton


  • On: Ewan Loudon
    Off: Botti Biabi ( 46 )
  • On: Jordan Northcott
    Off: Marc Scott ( 52 )
  • On: Calum Ferguson
    Off: Euan Spark ( 60 )

Wick Academy

25 Trialist
20 Alan Hughes
16 Conor Farquhar
21 Ross Allan
27 Ryan Campbell
3 Gary Manson
10 Richard MacAdie
22 James Mackintosh
23 Gordon MacNab
9 Marc MacGregor
17 Mark Macadie
19 Cameron Montgomery
12 Mark Munro
15 Aiden Miller
4 Alan Farquhar
1 James More


  • On: Mark Munro
    Off: Mark Macadie ( 66 )
  • On: Cameron Montgomery
    Off: Gordon MacNab ( 66 )
  • On: Aiden Miller
    Off: James Mackintosh ( 79 )