Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 6 Strathspey Thistle 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City returned to the Highland League summit following a thumping victory over Strathspey Thistle at Glebe Park yesterday afternoon.

It was a result that was never in any real danger with the visitors camped inside their own half for the majority of the match.

New signing Aubrel Koutsimouka was handed his first start as he lined up alongside Nathan Cooney in the centre of defence, whilst Jordan Northcott also came into the side as Manager Andy Kirk made 2 changes from last weekend.

After netting after just 8 seconds last time out, it was another quick start for City as they got their noses in front just after the first minute. A ball was threaded through the heart of the defence for KIERAN INGLIS who finished high into the net.

City looked to build on their early lead with McGrath shooting wide from the edge of the box whilst McDonald’s free kick from 20 yards missed the target.

The advantage really should have been doubled after 11 minutes when the impressive Northcott made a run down the left side before providing a cross for the unmarked Scott at the back post, but his effort was pushed away by the keeper. Shortly after, McDonald received a cutback inside the box but his low effort was kept out by the feet of McCallum.

City continued to swarm forward in numbers with McDonald flashing a shot wide before a deflected effort from Inglis was parried away for a corner.

There was a slight let-off for City on 27 minutes when a rare Strathspey break saw Ross Logan fire a shot just inches wide of the far post.

However City put clear daylight between the sides ten minutes before the break. It certainly wasn’t a classic – following a stramash in the penalty area, the ball fell kindly for MARC SCOTT who slotted home from close range.

Towards the end of the half, a right sided cross from Bain found Biabi inside the box but his header was tipped over. He would come close again a couple of minutes later when McGrath played a low ball across the face of goal but Biabi was just unable to connect.

In a similar fashion to the 1st half, City were quick out the traps in the second period and netted a third within a minute of the restart through an ANTHONY MCDONALD strike which took a wicked deflection on its way into the net.

City laid siege on the Strathspey goal and another passage of play inside the box saw numerous shots blocked by the visitors defence.

McDonald had a powerful strike pushed round the post by the keeper and from the resulting corner, Scott headed over from Inglis’ delivery.

Jordan Northcott, who was later named at the sponsors man of the match was next to threaten for City but McCallum in the visitors goal was equal to his effort.

After two matches without netting, top-scorer GRADY MCGRATH got in on the act with the 4th goal just after the hour mark. Inglis provided the in-swinging corner for McGrath to flick in at the near post.

On 69 minutes, MARC SCOTT made it four goals in two matches as the winger cut inside before drilling the ball low beyond the keeper at the near post.

The one-way traffic continued with the Jags defence switching off completely which allowed McGrath through one-on-one with the keeper but his dinked effort ended up just wide of the far post.

McGrath was still hungry and his deflected strike from the edge of the box ended up just over the bar and from Bain’s corner, Scott headed just wide.

City rounded off the scoring with the last kick of the ball as BOTTI BIABI took advantage of some slack defending to tap home from close range.

Overall it was a pleasing afternoon for City with 6 goals and another clean sheet. With Buckie dropping points in a 1-1 draw at Huntly, the result saw City move back to the top of the league on goal difference with two games in hand over the Jags.

Next up is a long trip to face Wick Academy at Harmsworth Park next Saturday.

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Banks O' Dee 6 Wick Academy 0

Deveronvale 0 Brora Rangers 6

Formartine United 6 Keith 0

Forres Mechanics 1 Turriff United 2

Huntly 1 Buckie Thistle 1

Inverurie Locos 0 Fraserburgh 4

Nairn County 2 Lossiemouth 0

Rothes 3 Clachnacuddin 2


28 January 2023
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 505
Kieran Inglis 2
Marc Scott 35
Anthony McDonald 46
Grady McGrath 62
Marc Scott 69
Botti Biabi 90

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
2 Jamie Bain
4 Aubrel Koutsimouka
6 Nathan Cooney
7 Marc Scott
9 Grady McGrath
11 Kieran Inglis
15 Fraser MacLeod
17 Anthony McDonald
20 Botti Biabi
22 Jordan Northcott
3 Kevin McHattie
5 Hamish Thomson
12 Michael Cruickshank
18 Ewan Loudon
19 Dominik Naglik
21 Dean Easton


  • On: Ewan Loudon
    Off: Kieran Inglis ( 66 )
  • On: Michael Cruickshank
    Off: Anthony McDonald ( 73 )
  • On: Dominik Naglik
    Off: Grady McGrath ( 82 )

Strathspey Thistle

1 Michael MacCallum
3 Liam McDade
5 Connor Austin
6 Owen Loveland
8 Joe Cuthbert
9 Ross Logan
10 Jack Davison
14 Alan Kerr
15 James McShane
22 Jack Gilliland
26 Cairn Giles
7 Thomas McInnes
20 Owen Paterson
21 Seamus McConnachie
28 Rory Williamson