Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Lossiemouth 0 Brechin City 3

Match Report - By Steven Mew

A first half brace from Marc Scott and a late header from fellow Brechiner Dominik Naglik helped City cruise to victory over Lossiemouth at Grant Park yesterday afternoon.

It was a game in which City controlled from start to finish, with the home side failing to register a meaningful effort on goal and they had goalkeeper Cameron Farquhar to thank for keeping the scoreline down with a string of fine saves in the second half.

The influential Kevin McHattie returned from suspension in City’s only change, coming in for Euan Spark who sustained an ankle injury last time out against Rothes.

Despite the recent cold snap which caused a number of postponements across the country, the surface at Grant Park survived the frost.

City came flying out the traps and opened the scoring with a near certain record-breaking goal after approximately 6 seconds. MARC SCOTT received the ball, brought it onto his left foot and let fly with a delightful curling effort from 20 yards which flew into the corner.

‘Marco’ certainly looked in the mood and he was next to threaten on 7 minutes which he took a pass from MacLeod before firing over the bar.

Shortly after, Farquhar made a fine save to keep out a downwards header from McGrath and the ball just didn’t fall for Biabi from the rebound. A minute later, McDonald did well to get to the by-line but his delivery flashed across the face of goal with no takers.

Midway through the half, Biabi’s strike from range finished inches wide of the post and on the half hour mark, McHattie tried his luck from range but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

Ten minutes before the break, a cross from Scott was flicked by Biabi into the path of MacLeod who flicked wide from just a yard out, but his blushes were spared by the linesman’s flag.

City were certainly knocking at the door and they got their just deserts as they doubled the advantage on 40 minutes. A corner swung in from Inglis found MARC SCOTT lurking at the back post and he headed home for his second of the game.

The game threatened to boil over on the stroke of half time, with City players incensed at a late challenge from Lewis McAndrew. With the referee blowing for half time, it looked as if it was going to go unpunished however following advice from the linesman, referee Gordon Seago showed McAndrew a red card as he was going down the tunnel.

With a two-goal and one-man advantage, City went into the second half looking to add to their tally following a dominant opening 45.

Five minutes after the restart, MacLeod headed narrowly wide from a McDonald corner and just a minute later, Farquhar made a fine save to tip over a powerful strike from Scott.

The home keeper was called into action again shortly after when he made a spectacular save to keep out a header from Biabi, followed by a more straight-forward stop from McGrath.

City kept pushing forward and MacLeod saw his effort tipped over the bar and barely a minute later, a ball in from Bain found Biabi in the box but his low strike was kept out by Farquhar.

On 72 minutes, Cruickshank made a fine run down the left side and provided a cross for Biabi who flicked narrowly wide at the near post.

With quarter of an hour remaining, McGrath was twice denied by last ditch blocks inside the box after some good work from MacLeod to set him up on both occasions.

There was the welcome sight of Hamish Thomson returning to the field following a lengthy injury spell as he replaced Michael Cruickshank after 86 minutes.

In the closing stages, Scott very nearly completed his hat-trick but again Farquhar was on hand to deny him as his strike was palmed away and the Lossie keeper again produced a fine save to tip away an intricate flick from Biabi for a corner.

The third goal did eventually arrive for City in stoppage time. Inglis provided an inch perfect corner for DOMINIK NAGLIK, who had just been introduced to the action for McGrath just two minutes earlier, to head home his first competitive goal for City.

The goal rounded off a comfortable afternoon for City against a Lossiemouth side that have now failed to score against Andy Kirk’s men in 5 meetings.

Next up for City is a home fixture against bottom side Strathspey Thistle this coming Saturday (2pm kick off).

Other Results - Breedon Highland League

Buckie Thistle 2 Inverurie Locos 0

Deveronvale 1 Huntly 3

Fraserburgh 2 Nairn County 2


21 January 2023
Grant Park
Attendance: 0
Marc Scott 1
Marc Scott 40
Dominik Naglik 90

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
2 Jamie Bain
3 Kevin McHattie
6 Nathan Cooney
7 Marc Scott
9 Grady McGrath
11 Kieran Inglis
12 Michael Cruickshank
15 Fraser MacLeod
17 Anthony McDonald
20 Botti Biabi
5 Hamish Thomson
16 Michael McArthur
19 Dominik Naglik
22 Jordan Northcott
21 Dean Easton


  • On: Jordan Northcott
    Off: Anthony McDonald ( 63 )
  • On: Hamish Thomson
    Off: Michael Cruickshank ( 86 )
  • On: Dominik Naglik
    Off: Grady McGrath ( 88 )


1 Cameron Farquhar
2 Michael Weir
20 James Leslie
15 Lewis McAndrew
22 Scott Thomson
6 Liam Archibald
18 Niall Kennedy
19 Ross Morrison
14 Ryan Stuart
10 Fraser Forbes
16 Baylee Campbell
12 Ross Archibald
7 Ryan Farquhar
9 Adam MacLeod
17 Jared Kennedy
23 Jack MacArthur
8 Harry Allen
21 Kyle Morrison


  • On: Ryan Farquhar
    Off: Ryan Stuart ( 45 )
  • On: Ross Archibald
    Off: Baylee Campbell ( 64 )
  • On: Adam MacLeod
    Off: Scott Thomson ( 82 )