Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Stirling Albion 2

Match Report - By Eoin McNicol

It was penalty heartbreak in the Scottish Cup for City as Stirling Albion progressed to the 3rd round after winning 8-7 in the shootout.

It was a frustrating afternoon for City with both of Stirling’s goals coming from set pieces, alongside hitting the post twice and going down to 10 men when Fraser MacLeod was sent off in the first half of extra time.

City welcomed an in-form Stirling Albion to Glebe Park as they looked to produce a Scottish Cup upset. Both sides came into this fixture flying in their respective leagues with Stirling winning 5 on the bounce and only suffering defeat once since the sides last locked horns.

Andy Kirk made 2 changes from last weeks thrashing over Keith, with Botti Biabi making his first start and Nathan Cooney returning to the starting line-up which seen Cruickshank drop to the bench and Aaron Arnott unable to play due to his loan agreement.

It was a pretty even opening to the match with no big chances in the opening minutes of the game, McDonald picked up the ball in a dangerous area after receiving the ball from Marc Scott but the winger dragged his shot wide.

Around the 10th minute, Grady McGrath was taken down on the left wing and McDonald was the man to take the free kick. The in-swinging free kick found the head of KEVIN MCHATTIE at the front post and the captain nodded his header into the back of the net to give City an early advantage.

Stirling looked for a way back into the match and it took just 8 minutes to grab their equaliser. Good play down the wing before a cross into the box was cleared as far as Ross Davidson who shot wide of Lenny Wilsons goal, which the referee deemed a corner kick. The corner was whipped in from the left and met by ex-City captain PAUL MCLEAN who leaped to meet it and guided his header away from Wilson into the right side of the goal.

35 minutes in, GRADY MCGRATH netted another goal for himself to put Brechin ahead. The striker found the ball at his feet after Fraser MacLeod slipped it through to him before turning and shooting goalward, beating Blair Currie and rolling into the right side of the net.

Just on half time, Kai Fotheringham got his second assist of the day as Stirling got themselves back into the game once again. Stirling were awarded a free kick from nothing which was whipped into the box and this time met the head of JORDAN MCGREGOR who nodded home.

Stirling started the second half brightly as they looked to go ahead for the first time in the match as Dale Carrick found space to run and get a shot off, but Wilson was able to stretch down low to hold it. A few minutes later Wilson almost granted the Binos their third when he dropped a high ball over the top and the Stirling attack pounced but couldn’t capitalise on the mistake.

Chances continued to come for the away side but City held on and defended well and started to grow into the game more and more as the second half went on. Around the hour mark a free kick from distance fell to Spark in the box as it unexpectedly came of his chest and went goalward before the keeper gathered.
Stirling looked to have grabbed their third, but the flag was up as Danny Denholm headed home a flick on from Carrick.

City looked the more likely team to grab a winner in the final 15 minutes of normal time. Marc Scott ran down the wing at pace and put the ball into the 6-yard box but the ball was blocked by Currie with a good save at close range and it spun away from goal.

Brechin hit the post twice in quick succession in the dying minutes, the first came from a corner which was delivered by Inglis into the box. The keeper tried to collect the ball but fumbled it allowing substitute Ewan Loudon an effort from close range which was smashed off the post. It was Loudon again who fired against the woodwork just 2 minutes later to keep the score level and take it to extra time.

Chances were few and far between in extra time with the main talking point being the sending off in the first half. Fraser MacLeod was shown a straight red which seemed unfair, but even down to 10 men the Brechin defence managed to keep Stirling out and take it to the lottery of a penalty shootout.

It wasn’t to be as Stirling went on to win 8-7 in the shootout after McGrath and Cooney’s penalties were both saved by Blair Currie.

Overall, It was an unbelievable effort from City after showing they were more than capable of competing with the League 2 leaders and still remain unbeaten in 90 minutes this season.

Next up is a return to Highland league action as Brechin are on the road to play Turriff United at The Haughs.


22 October 2022
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 470
Kevin McHattie 11
Grady McGrath 36
Paul McLean 19
Jordan McGregor 45

Brechin City

1 Lenny Wilson
3 Kevin McHattie
6 Nathan Cooney
7 Marc Scott
9 Grady McGrath
11 Kieran Inglis
15 Fraser MacLeod
17 Anthony McDonald
20 Botti Biabi
22 Jordan Northcott
24 Euan Spark
2 Jamie Bain
12 Michael Cruickshank
16 Michael McArthur
18 Ewan Loudon
23 Ryan McInnes
21 Dean Easton


  • On: Ewan Loudon
    Off: Anthony McDonald ( 67 )
  • On: Michael Cruickshank
    Off: Botti Biabi ( 103 )
  • On: Michael McArthur
    Off: Marc Scott ( 120 )

Stirling Albion

1 Blair Currie
2 Ross McGeachie
3 Cameron Clark
4 Paul McLean
5 Jordan McGregor
8 Ross Davidson
9 Dale Carrick
11 Danny Denholm
15 Kieran Moore
18 Harrison Clark
19 Kai Fotheringham
17 Callum Law
6 Adam Cummins
12 Kyle Banner
14 Danny Burns
21 Josh Cooper
22 Greg Harrower
24 Samuel Metcalfe


  • On: Adam Cummins
    Off: Paul McLean ( 69 )
  • On: Danny Burns
    Off: Danny Denholm ( 81 )
  • On: Josh Cooper
    Off: Kieran Moore ( 90 )
  • On: Kyle Banner
    Off: Ross McGeachie ( 112 )