Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 4 Clachnacuddin 0

Match Report - By Cain Lindsay

Two goals either side of half time saw City comfortably dispose of Clachnacuddin in their penultimate home encounter of the season. Goals from Michael Cruickshank, David Cox, Hamish Thomson and substitute Julian Wade handed City a 4-0 win, their 9th victory on the bounce.

Due to several injuries Andy Kirk was left with just three substitutes on the bench as Marc Scott and Layton Bisland were drafted into the starting lineup in place of Ewan Loudon and Jamie Bain.

City started the brighter of the two sides and almost carved an opener just minutes in. Kevin McHattie lofted a fantastic diagonal ball to David Cox running into the penalty area. Cox beat his man before guiding a low cross into Jordan Northcott in the centre of the box but his shot was quickly closed down.

City didn’t wait long until they finally broke the deadlock, however, and it was a goal made in Brechin. Marc Scott’s inclusion in the side injected some much needed pace to City’s game. With 6 minutes played Cox dropped slightly deeper allowing Scott to get in behind the Clachnacuddin back line. Cox lobbed the ball over the top, Scott latched on and drilled it into the oncoming MICHAEL CRUICKSHANK to smash in his second goals in as many games.

Clachnacuddin responded excellently to City’s opener. Lewis Mackenzie threatened Iain Ross’ goal on several occasions during a fruitful spell for the visitors. After patiently passing the ball around Mackenzie progressed into the box and thumped the ball at Ross forcing the keeper to palm wide.

Mackenzie found a lot of joy on the right hand side and minutes later he tested Ross once again. Clach’s James Anderson pressed City before offloading the ball to Mackenzie on his right but Ross parried his strike wide again. From the resulting corner Mackenzie’s onslaught continued. City failed to clear their lines and the ball fell kindly to Mackenzie who made fantastic contact to fire another effort at goal but his shot was blocked.

City weathered the storm and made the visitors pay for their missed opportunities. Marc Scott notched another assist for the season when his corner picked out DAVID COX in a congested penalty area who headed home doubling City’s advantage.

Cox’s header on 28 minutes saw him leapfrog Scott as the club’s top goalscorer with two games to play but just eight minutes later his afternoon was over. With limited personnel in the squad Andy Kirk was forced to make a change when David Cox limped off following a tussle along the byline to try and retain possession.

Marc Scott had a great opportunity to put himself back level in the goal charts with half time approaching. Following a quick one two with Garry Wood, Scott was sent beyond the Clachnacuddin back line again. However Clach keeper Rae was quick off his line and Scott curled his effort wide of the goal from outside the box.

Clachnacuddin were presented a huge opportunity to claw back into the game when referee Robin Taylor pointed to the spot just three minutes after the restart. Some excellent close control from Clach’s Connor Bunce in the crowded box drew the City defenders close and Hamish Thomson made enough contact to trip Bunce and give the Lilywhites a route back into the game. Up stepped James Anderson of Clachnacuddin but the striker’s spot kick rattled off of the post and wide.

With a frustrated Clachnacuddin now even more vulnerable City let loose. Cammie Ross sent two efforts goal bound in quick succession. His first was held well by Rae and the second skimmed off of a Clachnacuddin defender for a City corner.

With the hour mark approaching it was Michael Cruickshank who turned creator. His corner met the bandaged head of HAMISH THOMSON who thumped it into the net for the third goal of the afternoon.

City were now in full control. Garry Wood and Kevin McHattie each struck ambitious efforts at goal from long range but neither troubled Rae. With 71 minutes played Garry Wood almost added a fourth. Michael Cruickshank slipped in behind the defence and squared a cross into the centre of the goal mouth but Wood couldn’t adjust in time and sliced a shot wide.

City’s superiority in the second half produced a fourth goal of the afternoon with 84 minutes played. Kevin McHattie, later voted co-Man of the Match, clipped a dangerous ball over the head of Clachnacuddin’s Ben Cormack for JULIAN WADE. Wade’s deft touch caught out the keeper who had vacated his line and the striker had the simple task of rolling it into an empty net.

With under five minutes remaining City did push for a 5th, firstly via a 25-yard Seth Patrick chance which cracked off of the post, then through an audacious Julian Wade overhead kick which soared over Rae, and the opposing goal.

City’s win ensures they will finish in the top 3, however results elsewhere officially ended any late title bid. City welcome Fort William to Glebe Park next Saturday before a trip to Lossiemouth the following week to conclude the 2021/22 campaign. With the top goalscorer race still hotly contested and City looking to end the season with 11 consecutive wins there’s still a lot to play for over the final fortnight of the Highland League calendar.


2 April 2022
Glebe Park
Attendance: 418
Michael Cruickshank 6
David Cox 28
Hamish Thomson 58
Julian Wade 84

Brechin City

21 Iain Ross
3 Hamish Thomson
4 Iain Davidson
7 David Cox
9 Garry Wood
12 Layton Bisland
15 Michael Cruickshank
16 Marc Scott
17 Seth Patrick
19 Jordan Northcott
23 Kevin McHattie
10 Cameron Ross
11 Kieran Inglis
20 Julian Wade


  • On: Cameron Ross
    Off: David Cox ( 36 )
  • On: Julian Wade
    Off: Garry Wood ( 79 )


1 Daniel Rae
2 Ryan Mackintosh
4 Lewis Nicolson
5 Ben Cormack
6 Shaun Sutherland
9 James Anderson
12 Calum Black
15 Conor Bunce
18 Alasdair Gillies
26 Harry Nicolson
27 Lewis Mackenzie
10 Liam Taylor
11 Robbie Thompson
19 Kieran Chalmers
20 Charlie Hay
22 Riley Mackenzie
23 James Calder