Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 5 Nairn County 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City made it five straight wins as they continued their recent fine form with another convincing win over Nairn County at Glebe Park yesterday.

A hat-trick from Julian Wade and a brace from Marc Scott did the damage as City moved within a point of league leaders Fraserburgh, albeit having played two games more.

Already missing several key players due to injury, City’s preparations for the game were further hampered with Hamish Thomson, who had been due to start the game, pulling out following the warm up.

Layton Bisland took his place in the side as Andy Kirk made a further two changes from the side that defeated Rothes in Wednesday, with Michael Cruickshank and Julian Wade also coming in.

City came flying out the trips and should have been ahead after just 15 seconds. A long ball forward from Bain was flicked on by Wade into the path of Loudon who, with just the keeper to beat, dinked the ball just wide of the post.

Just a couple of minutes later, City opened the scoring when Northcott received the ball out on the right hand side of the box and he played a low cross into the box for JULIAN WADE to bundle home.

City kept up the pressure and on 7 minutes, Scott showed his marker a clean pair of heels down the right before cutting the ball back for Loudon who produced a good save from MacLean, parrying away for a corner.

Midway through the half, a wind-assisted cross from Bisland almost caught the Nairn keeper out who had to tip the ball over the bar and on 27 minutes, Loudon threaded a ball through for Wade who closed in on goal but was denied by MacLean at his near post.

After almost half an hour of complete domination, City lost their way briefly as the visitors started to come into the game. Tom MacLennan had a shot from 20 yards which flew just wide and the same player would come even closer a minute later when his strike was directed onto the post by Ross in the City goal.

City came back into it and gave themselves some breathing space with a second goal after 34 minutes. Northcott played a neat reverse pass for JULIAN WADE who broke clear of the defence and he fired confidently past the keeper to double the advantage.

City kept pressing, with Loudon flicking into the path of Wade whose strike was well charged down by the Nairn defence. Two minutes later, Loudon passed up another great opportunity when he blazed over from just a few yards out.

The visitors certainly had their moments going forward with Ross making a save to deny a long range drive from Angus Dey before Cameron Lisle was denied with a fine block from McHattie.

In a similar fashion to the first half, City started the second half brightly and grabbed a third goal within 18 seconds of the restart. MARC SCOTT received the ball on the right hand side and glided past two players before firing beyond MacLean.

Things were certainly looking bleak for the visitors as JULIAN WADE grabbed his hat-trick just five minutes later. Jamie Bain, who has registered numerous assists over the last few weeks was the architect again as a he swung a free kick in for the Dominican who stretched to prod the ball through the legs of the keeper.

City looked to further add to their advantage with Loudon stinging the hands of MacLean. At the other end, substitute Sam Gordon shot over whilst Angus Dey’s audacious full volley also went off target a few minutes later.

Julian Wade came agonisingly close to connecting with a low cross from Northcott on the right before substitute Cammie Ross produced a save from the keeper, with ‘Juju’ firing over from the rebound.

With quarter of an hour remaining, Ross played a ball in behind the defence for Northcott who was denied by MacLean. Barely a minute later, Ross came close again when his shot was parried into the path of Wade who somehow shaved the bar from just a few yards out.

City rounded off the scoring with five minutes to go and it was another contender for goal of the season from MARC SCOTT. The winger collected a pass from Patrick and turned a defender on the edge of the box before unleashing a sumptuous curling effort over the keeper and into the far corner.

It could have easily been six for City when a corner into the box found Wade but his effort was cleared off the line.

Overall it was another excellent performance from City who appear to be playing with real confidence as we approach the final 6 matches of the season. Next up for Andy Kirk’s side is a trip to face Strathspey Thistle at Seafield Park on Saturday.


12 March 2022
Glebe Park
Attendance: 324
Julian Wade 3
Julian Wade 34
Marc Scott 46
Julian Wade 51
Marc Scott 85

Brechin City

1 Iain Ross
2 Jamie Bain
6 Michael Paton
12 Layton Bisland
15 Michael Cruickshank
16 Marc Scott
17 Seth Patrick
18 Ewan Loudon
19 Jordan Northcott
20 Julian Wade
23 Kevin McHattie
1 Jack Wills
4 Iain Davidson
9 Garry Wood
10 Cameron Ross


  • On: Cameron Ross
    Off: Ewan Loudon ( 62 )
  • On: Iain Davidson
    Off: Michael Paton ( 71 )
  • On: Garry Wood
    Off: Jordan Northcott ( 76 )

Nairn County

1 Dylan MacLean
2 Adam Porritt
3 Cohen Ramsay
4 Tom MacLennan
5 Ryan Fyffe
6 Fraser Dingwall
7 Cameron Lisle
8 Angus Dey
9 Conor Gethins
10 Glenn Main
11 Andrew Greig
12 Seamus McConaghy
14 Callum Ednie
15 Sam Gordon
16 Ciaran Young
17 John Treasurer
20 Will Counsell