Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 5 Wick Academy 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

A 19-minute second half hat-trick from Marc Scott helped City to another convincing win at Glebe Park yesterday afternoon against a Wick Academy side that finished the game with 9 men.

It rounded off a terrific week for Andy Kirk’s men with 3 consecutive wins, netting 14 goals in the process as they look to maintain the pressure at the top end of the table.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, changes were at a minumum from the side that performed so well at Keith in midweek with only Kevin McHattie coming in for Layton Bisland.

At a sun-soaked Glebe Park, City started brightly and conjured up the first opportunity after just 3 minutes. David Cox drilled a low cross in from the right hand side which fell for Jordan Northcott inside the box but he blazed over.

At the other end, a Wick corner found Jack Henry at the near post but his flick was easily gathered by Iain Ross in the City goal.

City opened the scoring on 10 minutes when Jamie Bain whipped in a fantastic cross for JORDAN NORTHCOTT to nod into the far corner for his first City goal.

Northcott almost had his second ten minutes later when Marc Scott sprinted down the right flank before cutting the ball back for the on-loan St Johnstone striker - his shot was well blocked by a Wick defender and into the grateful arms of Williamson.

Shortly after, the ball fell kindly in the box for Murray Mackintosh who sidestepped his man before shooting straight at the keeper.

City were forced into an early change after 26 minutes when Mackintosh limped off to be replaced by Ewan Loudon.

A minute later, the visitors pulled themselves level against the run of play. A long ball upfield caused problems for the City defence, with Steven Anderson picking out ROSS MACADIE on the right hand side of the box and he fired into the far corner.

There was almost an immediate response from City as Cruickshank teed up Northcott 15 yards out and his placed shot looked destined for the corner however Williamson did well to parry away.

An uncharacteristic mistake from Kevin McHattie just after the half hour mark allowed Steven Anderson in on goal but Iain Ross made a terrific save with his feet to deny the striker.

Seven minutes before the break, Cox came in from the right flank and fired a strike which stung the hands of Williamson in the Wick goal.

Unfortunately due to another injury, City were forced into another substitution before the break. Skipper Iain Davidson, who was still feeling the effects of a collision with keeper Iain Ross earlier in the half, hobbled off to be replaced by Layton Bisland.

Four minutes into the second period City restored their advantage when Ewan Loudon’s free kick took a huge deflection off HAMISH THOMSON and into the net.

Several minutes later it really should have been 3 when Marc Scott broke clear of the defence and played a ball across the face of goal for Cox who somehow screwed wide from just a couple of yards out.

Cruickshank was next to threaten for City when his strike was deflected wide, before City doubled their advantage on 65 minutes. Cox out-muscled his man down the left flank before delivering an inch perfect ball into the path of the on-rushing MARC SCOTT who provided a deft finish past the keeper from 8 yards out.

City’s domination continued with Patrick shooting over and shortly after, Marc Scott latched on to a long ball over the top from Loudon but fired straight at the keeper.

Julian Wade replaced David Cox and the Dominican made an almost immediate impact as he was hauled down on the edge of the box by Jack Henry, resulting in the referee issuing a second yellow card for the Wick man. The resulting free kick saw Bain curl over the bar from 20 yards.

Wade very nearly got himself on the scoresheet a few minutes later when Scott played a low cross in from the left which was met by ‘Juju’, however his finish went agonisingly past the far post.

MARC SCOTT grabbed his second and City's fourth of the afternoon on 81 minutes. A long clearance upfield from Bisland sent 'Marco' on his way in behind the defence and he bore down on goal before firing a low shot in at the near post.

In a similar fashion to the midweek fixture against Keith, City were relentless and were awarded a penalty seven minutes from time when Wade was fouled just inside the box by Joe Anderson, who saw red for denying a goalscoring opportunity.

As expected, MARC SCOTT stepped up to take the penalty and converted with confidence to complete his hat-trick.

The final 6 minutes saw the visitors defend resolutely to ensure that City didn’t add to their advantage.

Overall it was another excellent attacking performance from City who will now face a tough test on Wednesday against Rothes at Mackessack Park.


5 March 2022
Glebe Park
Attendance: 379
Jordan Northcott 10
Hamish Thomson 49
Marc Scott 65
Marc Scott 81
Marc Scott 84 (Pen)
Mark Macadie 27

Brechin City

21 Iain Ross
2 Jamie Bain
3 Hamish Thomson
4 Iain Davidson
7 David Cox
8 Murray Mackintosh
15 Michael Cruickshank
16 Marc Scott
17 Seth Patrick
19 Jordan Northcott
23 Kevin McHattie
1 Trialist Trialist
9 Garry Wood
10 Cameron Ross
12 Layton Bisland
18 Ewan Loudon
20 Julian Wade


  • On: Ewan Loudon
    Off: Murray Mackintosh ( 26 )
  • On: Layton Bisland
    Off: Iain Davidson ( 38 )
  • On: Julian Wade
    Off: David Cox ( 75 )

Wick Academy

1 Graeme Williamson
17 Mark Macadie
21 Ross Allan
2 Andrew Hardwick
23 Gordon MacNab
15 Joe Anderson
3 Gary Manson
6 Jack Henry
10 Richard Macadie
11 David Allan
9 Steven Anderson
16 Conor Farquhar
19 Alan Mathieson
25 James More


  • On: Alan Mathieson
    Off: Richard Macadie ( 74 )
  • On: Conor Farquhar
    Off: Gordon MacNab ( 84 )