Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Brechin City 0 Albion Rovers 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City reduced the gap at the bottom of the division to just two points after a well earned point against Albion Rovers yesterday afternoon.

It could have easily been all three for City who were left to rue a lack of a cutting edge in front of goal, with a number of good opportunities spurned.

With Dougie Hill and Scott Reekie sitting out through suspension, coupled with the injured Chris McLaughlin and Paul Allan, City were very much down the bare bones with Mark Wilson having no option but to field a makeshift defence for the second week running. Upfront meanwhile, Ross Crawford came into the side to partner skipper Paul McManus upfront.

An Albion side, containing two ex-City players in the shape of Aron Lynas and Giuliano Morena, arrived at the Glebe on a good run of form with only the top two having picked up more points over the last six matches.

It was City who started the brighter side with Goodfellow getting down well to keep out a shot from Olly Hamilton at his near post. The ball fell again for Hamilton who crossed into the box for McManus to head tamely at the keeper.

On 13 minutes Ryan McCord showed some excellent footwork to glide past three defenders inside the box before teeing up Page who was denied by a defensive block.

There was a scare for City at the other end when Euan East was denied by McMinn before the rebound was blocked by the City rearguard. Next to threaten for the visitors was Jack Breen who played a neat one-two on the edge of the box before stinging the hands of McMinn.

City would go on to dominate the remainder of the half with McManus heading over from Duncanson’s cross and three minutes later, McIntosh came inside from the left wing before striking over from the edge of the box.

City continued to threaten as McManus got in behind the defence to latch onto Duncanson’s long ball – Goodfellow did well to narrow the angle and keep the shot out at the near post with Crawford dragging the rebound well wide of goal.

There was a real let off for the visitors just a few minutes before the break when Goodfellow fumbled a header back to him however Crawford was unable to take advantage as his left footed shot from a tight angle rolled agonisingly across the face of goal.

City supporters will have been wondering how their side weren’t ahead at half time and the visitors sprung to life in the early stages of the second period.

Daniel Scally surged forward through the heart of midfield before striking narrowly over the bar and the same player came close again five minutes later when his shot was tipped round the post by McMinn. From the resulting corner, Bryan Warton hooked over the bar.

Shortly after the hour mark Ryan McCord’s goalbound volley was deflected wide but City were almost caught on the counter attack following the corner with Jack Breen shooting wide.

City started to get back into the groove with Inglis lashing over from Crawford’s cutback and two minutes later McManus shot wide with Crawford unlucky not to connect to divert it into the net.

Mark Wilson rang the changes with Matthew Knox replacing the tireless Kieran Inglis on 73 minutes, with Emile Ngoy replacing Paul McManus upfront six minutes later.

Ngoy was immediately in the thick of the action when he latched on to a long ball from McCord before cutting inside, however his shot lacked conviction and was easily gathered by Goodfellow.

With City pushing hard for that elusive goal, they were dealt a blow with 4 minutes remaining when Luke Watt was shown a second yellow card for what appeared to be a fairly innocuous aerial challenge.

The visitors looked to make the most of the man advantage in the closing stages but could only muster one more opportunity with Breen dragging a shot wide.

City did have one last chance as the game approached stoppage time when Crawford flicked over from McCord’s corner.

Overall City will feel this was a match in which they should have taken all three points – however the improvement under Mark Wilson continues with cause for cautious optimism ahead of the visit of league leaders Cove Rangers next weekend.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League Two

Annan Athletic 3 Queen's Park 2

Narrow win for Annan over the Spiders.

Cove Rangers 2 Elgin City 0

Comfortable win for the league leaders at Balmoral Stadium.

Edinburgh City 2 Cowdenbeath 0

Edinburgh continue to pile pressure on Cove at the top.

Stenhousemuir 0 Stirling Albion 2

Stenny's poor run continues with a loss at home to Stirling.


28 December 2019
Glebe Park
Attendance: 459

Brechin City

1 Lewis McMinn
2 Lee Duncanson
3 Sean McIntosh
4 Luke Watt
5 Ross Brown
6 Jonathan Page
7 Olly Hamilton
8 Ryan McCord
9 Paul McManus
10 Ross Crawford
11 Kieran Inglis
12 Matthew Knox
14 Emile Ngoy
21 Ross Sinclair


  • On: Matthew Knox
    Off: Kieran Inglis ( 73 )
  • On: Emile Ngoy
    Off: Paul McManus ( 79 )

Albion Rovers

1 Ryan Goodfellow
2 Aron Lynas
3 Ross Clarke
4 Bryan Wharton
5 Jason Krones
6 Giuliano Morena
7 Ouzy See
8 Jack Breen
9 Euan East
10 Declan Byrne
11 Daniel Scally
12 Scott Roberts
14 Callum Home
15 Smart Osadolor
16 Nicki Paterson
17 Daniel Potts
18 Gary Phillips
19 Kyle Doherty


  • On: Callum Home
    Off: Giuliano Morena ( 32 )
  • On: Scott Roberts
    Off: Ouzy See ( 63 )
  • On: Smart Osadolor
    Off: Declan Byrne ( 85 )