Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Queen's Park 5 Brechin City 2

Match Report - By Steven Mew

It was an afternoon to forget for City at the national stadium yesterday afternoon as they slumped to a heavy defeat against Queen’s Park.

The game was effectively over as a contest after just 35 minutes as the Spiders raced into a 4-1 lead, with Manager Mark Wilson left lamenting his sides’ defending during a torrid first half.

There was one change to the side that lost out narrowly to Edinburgh City last weekend with Emile Ngoy starting alongside Paul McManus upfront at the expense of Kieran Inglis who wasn’t named in the 18-man squad.

The home side were coming into the game off the back of a convincing win at Stenhousemuir last weekend and they continued where they left off – netting the opener after 11 minutes. SALIM KOUIDER-AISSA latched onto a pass 25 yards from goal – he advanced forward with the ball and got the better of Jonathan Page on the edge of the box before drilling a low shot into the bottom corner.

Mark Roberts’ side continued to drive forward and McMinn did well to keep out a low strike from Ciaran Summers before the advantage was doubled on the quarter hour mark. CALVIN MCGRORY picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box and he glided past Scott Reekie before curling a delightful effort into the far corner.

City were given a glimmer of hope on 22 minutes when a free kick from McLaughlin was blocked by a hand in the wall and referee Graham Grainger had little hesitation in pointing to the spot. A penalty kick specialist throughout his career, skipper PAUL MCMANUS stepped up and confidently converted past trialist keeper Joshua Rae.

City’s hopes of getting back into the game were dashed just three minutes later as the Spiders added a third goal. Paul Allan was penalised for a foul on David Galt in the box and Frenchman JOFFREY LIDOUREN sent McMinn the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Queens continued to dominate proceedings with defender Nicholas Jamieson heading narrowly wide whilst McMinn got down well to save a long range effort from Calvin McGrory.

Things went from bad to worse for City as they went 4-1 down with over 10 minutes of the first half still remaining. Some more desperate defending from the visitors allowed CIARAN SUMMERS time and space on the edge of the box and he took full advantage, lashing a shot beyond McMinn at his near post.

Unsurprisingly Mark Wilson made a change at half time with Dougie Hill making way for Matthew Knox in a tactical reshuffle.

However it was the hosts that continued to threaten early in the second half with Kouider-Aissa heading over the bar from Galt’s delivery.

The Spiders threatened to run riot as they made it 5-1 with just seven minutes of the second half played. An in-swinging free kick by Lidouren out on the left side was glanced into the far corner by SAMIR KOUIDER-AISSA for his second.

With the game now well and truly over as a contest, fortunately the home side took their foot off the gas which allowed City back into the game.

Mark Wilson made two changes in as many minutes just after the hour mark as Olly Hamilton and Luke Watt entered the fray for Emile Ngoy and Ross Brown respectively.

Despite looking at least a yard offside, Matthew Knox latched onto a through ball from McManus before cutting inside and attempting a curled effort into the far corner however the keeper did well to push the shot away.

Christopher McLaughlin was next to have a go for City when his rasping shot from 30 yards was charged down and the ball deflected into the arms of Rae.

Ten minutes from time substitute Olly Hamilton timed his run well to get in behind the defence to latch onto McCord’s through ball before striking straight at the keeper. At the other end, McMinn did well to tip over a header from Jamieson.

City did manage to pull a goal back with arguably the best goal of the game after 84 minutes. Following a Queen’s Park corner, City set off on a flowing counter attacking move which ended with LUKE WATT cutting inside from the left before curling a fine effort into the far corner.

The goal would only prove to add a slight dent to a heavy defeat, however City players now have the chance to put the disappointment behind them with a trip to face Annan Athletic (for the 4th time already this season) on Tuesday evening.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League Two

Albion Rovers 2 Stenhousemuir 1

Albion pick up a crucial win after a poor run.

Annan Athletic 1 Cowdenbeath 0

Annan edge out Cowden at Galabank.

Cove Rangers 1 Stirling Albion 0

A goal two minutes from time earns Cove the win.

Edinburgh City 1 Elgin City 1

Point apiece at Ainslie Park.


9 November 2019
Hampden Park
Attendance: 572
Salim Kouider-Aissa 11
Calvin McGrory 15
Joffrey Lidouren 25 (Pen)
Ciaran Summers 35
Salim Kouider-Aissa 53
Paul McManus 22 (Pen)
Luke Watt 84

Brechin City

1 Lewis McMinn
2 Sean McIntosh
3 Christopher McLaughlin
4 Scott Reekie
5 Dougie Hill
6 Jonathan Page
7 Paul Allan
8 Ross Brown
9 Paul McManus
10 Emile Ngoy
11 Ryan McCord
12 Luke Watt
14 Jamie Reid
15 Lee Duncanson
16 Matthew Knox
17 Olly Hamilton
18 Ross Crawford
21 Ross Sinclair


  • On: Matthew Knox
    Off: Dougie Hill ( 46 )
  • On: Olly Hamilton
    Off: Emile Ngoy ( 60 )
  • On: Luke Watt
    Off: Ross Brown ( 61 )

Queen's Park

1 Trialist
2 William Mortimer
3 Ciaran Summers
4 Creag Little
5 Nicholas Jamieson
6 Cameron Clark
7 Joffrey Lidouren
8 Luke Main
9 Salim Kouider-Aissa
10 David Galt
11 Calvin McGrory
12 Kieran Moore
14 Alfredo Agyeman
15 Jack Purdue
16 Reagan Thomson
17 Scott Gibson
18 Cameron Foy
20 Jacques Heraghty


  • On: Reagan Thomson
    Off: Luke Main ( 67 )
  • On: Jack Purdue
    Off: Calvin McGrory ( 72 )
  • On: Alfredo Agyeman
    Off: Salim Kouider-Aissa ( 76 )