Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Brechin City 1 Arbroath 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City and Arbroath shared the spoils in the last Angus derby of the season yesterday afternoon, with the result also clinching the League One title for the Lichties in front of a bumper crowd at Glebe Park.

It was a hard earned point for City against Dick Campbell's side, however results elsewhere mean that they have it all to do in the remaining 3 fixtures to avoid the bottom two.

Barry Smith made just one change from the side that were defeated narrowly by Dumbarton last weekend - with Euan Spark coming in for Lewis Toshney who was stretchered off against the Sons with the extent of his injury yet to be determined.

In the Glebe Park sunshine it only took the visitors five minutes to get their noses in front and settle any potential nerves. A cross from the left hand side from ex-City man Colin Hamilton was met by RYAN WALLACE who guided his header past Bowman and into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes after the goal City were forced into an early substitution when Craig Thomson picked up what appeared to be a hamstring injury - he was replaced by Ross Kavanagh.

Despite the early goal the visitors toiled and the tenacity of the City players made things difficult for them - although they were evidently missing the craft and guile of their talismanic winger Bobby Linn who was only fit enough to make up the numbers on the bench.

It was City who equalised on 22 minutes with their first shot on goal, and indeed what proved to be their only shot on target in the game. MICHAEL MILLER collected the ball on the edge of the box and he had enough time to get a shot away which trundled past Jamieson with the aid of a deflection - his first goal for the club since joining in February.

The Lichties continued to struggle to create openings against a defence superbly marshalled by Dougie Hill who would go on to pick up the sponsors man of the match award. However there was a scare 7 minutes before the break when a cross to the back post was headed wide by Jason Thomson when it looked easier to score.

Shortly into the second period, there was to another glorious chance for the visitors when Omar Kader dispossessed Tam Scobbie to go clean through on goal but with just Bowman to beat, he dragged his shot wide of the target.

At the other end Sean Burns made a good run down the left before supplying an inviting low ball across the face of goal but there were no takers.

Shortly before the hour mark Paul McLean did supremely well to deflect a shot from David Gold over the bar and the visitors would threaten again through a 25 yard Ryan Wallace free kick but he was unable to keep his effort down.

City's best chance of the half came 12 minutes from time. Ross Kavanagh won a free kick down the left side which was swung in by Tam Scobbie - the ball fell invitingly for Euan Smith but with the goal at his mercy he blazed over the bar from close range.

Scobbie's deliveries into the box would continue to cause problems for the Arbroath defence - this time his cross was met by Kavanagh who could only glance wide.

With the clock ticking down, Arbroath were content to keep the ball in the closing stages knowing that a point would be enough to confirm the League title.

Referee David Dickinson blew for full time which signalled the start of a mass pitch invasion by the large travelling support as they greeted their title winning heroes.

Congratulations go out to all at Arbroath FC on winning the League One Championship and given that they have been top of the table since day one, nobody can argue that they haven't deserved it over the course of the season.

Results elsewhere in the divison were far from kind for City with Stranraer coming back from 2-0 down to defeat Raith Rovers at Starks Park, whilst Stenhousemuir edged out Airdrieonians in the late kick off. This means City are now joint on points with Stenhousemuir at the bottom, and 4 points off automatic safety ahead of a crucial trip against Stranraer at Stair Park next weekend.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 0 Stenhousemuir 1

Stenny move level with City at the bottom of League One after a narrow win at Airdrie.

East Fife 0 Montrose 2

Montrose move into the playoff spots after a crucial win.

Forfar Athletic 0 Dumbarton 0

Stalemate at Station Park.

Raith Rovers 2 Stranraer 3

Stranraer come back from 2 goals down to earn a precious 3 points.


13 April 2019
Glebe Park
Attendance: 1509
Michael Miller 22
Ryan Wallace 5

Brechin City

1 Graham Bowman
2 Paul McLean
3 Sean Burns
5 Dougie Hill
6 Euan Spark
9 Andy Jackson
14 Euan Smith
18 Scott Robertson
22 Craig Thomson
25 Thomas Scobbie
27 Michael Miller
4 Ryan McGeever
7 Kalvin Orsi
8 Callum Tapping
16 Jordan Tapping
19 Patrick O'Neil
21 Ross Kavanagh
23 Sam Jamieson


  • On: Ross Kavanagh
    Off: Craig Thomson ( 7 )
  • On: Ryan McGeever
    Off: Dougie Hill ( 77 )


1 Darren Jamieson
2 Jason Thomson
3 Colin Hamilton
4 Ricky Little
5 Thomas O'Brien
6 Mark Whatley
7 Omar Kader
8 Michael McKenna
9 Ryan Wallace
10 David Gold
11 Danny Denholm
12 Gavin Swankie
14 Luke Donnelly
15 Ryan McCord
16 Steven Doris
17 Greig Spence
18 Bobby Linn
21 Darren Hill


  • On: Gavin Swankie
    Off: Omar Kader ( 66 )
  • On: Steven Doris
    Off: Danny Denholm ( 73 )
  • On: Luke Donnelly
    Off: Ryan Wallace ( 81 )