Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Brechin City 1 Dumbarton 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

Jordan Tapping couldn't have picked a better time to net his first goal in a Brechin shirt as City edged out fellow strugglers Dumbarton at Glebe Park yesterday afternoon.

The big defender - making just his 8th City appearance, bundled home the winner with just seconds remaining to earn City a vital win as they move level on points with the Sons in League One.

After a solid showing against league leaders Arbroath last weekend, Manager Barry Smith opted for the same starting 11 with new signing Ross Kavanagh having to settle for a place on the substitutes bench.

Dumbarton meanwhile travelled to Glebe Park with an injury hit squad, meaning that they could only name 2 outfield players on the bench.

The visitors started the game brightly with ex-City winger Bobby Barr shooting wide from the edge of the box after 5 minutes.

Ten minutes later Ross Forbes, who netted a sublime free kick against City in the last fixture between the sides, had a set piece deflected into the path of Ryan Thomson who was denied by O'Neil before Stuart Carswell blazed over the bar from the rebound.

City's first opportunity would come shortly after when some good work by Jackson ended with Jordan Sinclair shooting straight at the keeper from the left hand side of the box.

Chances were few and far between for the remainder of the half but on the stroke of half time, Euan Smith's powerful strike from the edge of the box cannoned off the top of the crossbar with keeper Chris Smith well beaten.

The second half started in a similar fashion with very little goalmouth action to speak of.

City were handed a real boost on the hour mark as the visitors were reduced to 10 men. Ex-City loanee Michael Paton brought down Sean Burns on the left wing and he was shown a second yellow card by referee Gavin Duncan.

In an attempt to make the most of the numerical advantage, Smith made an attacking change with Ross Kananagh coming on for his debut, replacing Euan Spark.

Sean Burns was having plenty of joy down the left side - he got to the byline before cutting the ball back for Euan Smith but his effort curled just wide of the post.

Despite being down to 10 men, the Sons were still dangerous on the break and it took a superb save from Paddy O'Neil, who was a mere spectator for much of the game, to keep the score level on 68 minutes. Andy Dowie's powerful downwards header looked destined for the bottom corner, however the City keeper managed to tip it onto the post before being cleared to safety.

City continued to struggle to create opportunities but the woodwork was struck again when Dougie Hill's deep cross looked to be sailing over, but Smith in the Sons goal was relieved to see the ball hit the top of the crossbar.

Just as the game looked to be heading towards a stalemate, City managed to grab a dramatic winner with just seconds remaining. Kalvin Orsi's corner fell kindly in the box for JORDAN TAPPING who managed to force the ball beyond Smith in the Dumbarton goal to spark wild celebrations in front of the Cemetery End.

There was only enough time for the visitors to take kick off before referee Gavin Duncan blew the whistle. The reactions of the players at full time showed joy and relief in equal measure - it certainly wasn't pretty, but it was a much needed victory after a run of seven straight defeats.

Sean Burns was awarded the sponsors man of the match following a tireless performance down the left, with special mentions to match-winner Jordan Tapping and Patrick O'Neil who made an excellent save at a crucial time to keep a clean sheet. New recruit Scott Robertson was equally impressive on his home debut as he barely wasted a pass in midfield.

Due to the Scottish Cup being played, City have a break next Saturday with 2nd placed Raith Rovers providing the opposition at Glebe Park in a fortnights time.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 1 Raith Rovers 1

Raith drop further points against Airdrieonians at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Forfar Athletic 2 Stranraer 1

Late John Baird goal wins it for the Loons.

Montrose 0 East Fife 2

Former City player Liam Watt at the double as East Fife beat Montrose at Links Park.

Stenhousemuir 1 Arbroath 4

The Lichties continue their march towards the title.


12 January 2019
Glebe Park
Attendance: 456
Jordan Tapping 90

Brechin City

19 Patrick O'Neil
2 Paul McLean
3 Sean Burns
5 Dougie Hill
6 Euan Spark
7 Kalvin Orsi
9 Andy Jackson
10 Jordan Sinclair
14 Euan Smith
16 Jordan Tapping
18 Scott Robertson
12 Aron Lynas
15 Giuliano Morena
17 Boris Melingui
21 Ross Kavanagh
23 Callum Hendry
1 Conor Brennan


  • On: Ross Kavanagh
    Off: Euan Spark ( 63 )
  • On: Callum Hendry
    Off: Jordan Sinclair ( 78 )


21 Chris Smith
2 Cameron Ballantyne
4 Andy Dowie
6 Stuart Carswell
8 Kyle Hutton
9 Calum Gallagher
10 Ross Forbes
11 Bobby Barr
15 Michael Paton
16 Ben Armour
23 Ryan Thomson
12 Brad Spencer
17 Jamie McGowan
55 Craig Barr


  • On: Brad Spencer
    Off: Ben Armour ( 80 )