Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Brechin City 1 Arbroath 5

Match Report - By Steven Mew

After an impressive derby win over Forfar last weekend, few would have predicted City would go on to lose by the same margin the following week.

That is precisely what unfolded at Glebe Park yesterday as an impressive Arbroath side blew City away to maintain their staggering ten point lead at the summit of League One.

It came as no surprise that Barry Smith favoured the same starting 11 from last week. Meanwhile, Lichties boss Dick Campbell would watch from the stand after being handed an eight match touchline ban yesterday, leaving brother Ian and John Young in charge.

The visitors would open the scoring with the first real chance of the game on 8 minutes. Jason Thomson's floated cross from the right was met by the on-rushing DAVID GOLD who glanced into the far corner.

Five minutes later, McKenna fed Gavin Swankie on the edge of the box but his shot whistled just wide of the post.

Although chances were few and far between, the visitors continued to dominate proceedings with City struggling to keep possession against an Arbroath side pressing high up the park.

Shortly before the half hour mark Thomas O'Brien headed wide from Denholm's corner and ten minutes later David Gold again threatened in the air when he headed just past the post.

With just one goal in it at the break, there was the belief that City could turn the game around facing down the slope towards the Cemetery End.

That didn't materialise as Arbroath would turn their superiority into goals in the second period. Just three minutes in and there was clear daylight between the sides as the advantage was doubled. David Gold threaded a ball through for BOBBY LINN in plenty of space - the winger bore down on goal and his strike slid under the body of Brennan and into the net.

Manager Barry Smith attempted to shake things up with a double substitution following the goal, introducing Jordan Sinclair and Cameron Blues for Euan Smith and Boris Melingui - however on 56 minutes the Lichties stretched their lead further. MICHAEL MCKENNA danced his way through a couple of challenges before lashing high past Brennan at the near post.

A rare opportunity came City's way five minutes later when Lynas pulled the ball back for Jackson inside the box but his goalbound effort was well blocked for a corner.

Things would go from bad to worse for City as Arbroath added a fourth goal on 65 minutes. Danny Denholm's cross from the left was headed down by McKenna to give RYAN WALLACE the easy task of knocking the ball home from a couple of yards out.

Not content with their already insurmountable lead, Arbroath continued to push forward and some confusion in the City defence allowed substitute Steven Doris through on goal - he attempted to round Brennan but with the angle narrowing, the striker cut the ball back which was cleared away by Cameron Blues.

At the other end, Andy Jackson showed some excellent footwork to beat a couple of players but his final effort was drilled straight at Jamieson in the Arbroath goal.

City's misery was compounded ten minutes from time as Arbroath netted a fifth. The lively Ryan Wallace played a low pass into the box for JASON THOMSON, the full back evaded a couple of changes before dinking the ball over Brennan.

Kalvin Orsi dragged a shot against the side netting before City grabbed a consolation on 85 minutes. A cross from the left was cleared only as far as Aron Lynas on the edge of the box - his volley was diverted into the net by the head of RYAN MCGEEVER. It was a first City goal for the stand-in skipper, but doubtless he would rather it was in better circumstances.

Overall, it was an afternoon to forget for Barry Smith's side who now need to pick themselves up for a difficult William Hill Scottish Cup tie away to Alloa Athletic next weekend.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 4 East Fife 2

Airdrieonians come from behind at HT to defeat East Fife.

Forfar Athletic 3 Dumbarton 0

Forfar bounce back from their derby defeat last weekend.

Montrose 1 Stranraer 1

Last minute equaliser for Stranraer denies Montrose all three points.

Stenhousemuir 1 Raith Rovers 3

Rovers win at Ochilview to remain 10 points off Arbroath at the top.


17 November 2018
Glebe Park
Attendance: 847
Ryan McGeever 85
David Gold 8
Bobby Linn 48
Michael McKenna 56
Ryan Wallace 65
Jason Thomson 80

Brechin City

1 Conor Brennan
3 Sean Burns
4 Ryan McGeever
5 Dougie Hill
6 Euan Spark
7 Kalvin Orsi
8 Callum Tapping
9 Andy Jackson
12 Aron Lynas
14 Euan Smith
17 Boris Melingui
10 Jordan Sinclair
15 Giuliano Morena
16 Jordan Tapping
19 Patrick O'Neil
22 Cameron Blues


  • On: Cameron Blues
    Off: Boris Melingui ( 51 )
  • On: Jordan Sinclair
    Off: Euan Smith ( 51 )


1 Darren Jamieson
2 Jason Thomson
3 Colin Hamilton
4 Ricky Little
5 Thomas O'Brien
6 David Gold
7 Danny Denholm
8 Michael McKenna
9 Ryan Wallace
10 Gavin Swankie
11 Bobby Linn
14 Mark Whatley
15 Ryan McCord
16 Steven Doris
17 Finn Graham
21 Darren Hill


  • On: Steven Doris
    Off: Michael McKenna ( 68 )
  • On: Ryan McCord
    Off: Gavin Swankie ( 76 )
  • On: Mark Whatley
    Off: David Gold ( 76 )