Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Brechin City 4 Forfar Athletic 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

The newly appointed management duo of Barry Smith and Assistant Stevie Campbell got off to the perfect start as a clinical City side put four past Forfar in the local derby at Glebe Park yesterday afternoon.

It was a thoroughly comfortable victory for the hosts, but it could have been so different had it not been for Conor Brennan saving Dylan Easton's penalty with the score at 0-0.

Smith chose to stick with largely the same side and formation as the one that lost out narrowly to Raith last weekend, though he was forced into one change with Boris Melingui coming in upfront for Callum Hendry who broke his wrist in the clash at Starks Park.

There was a pre-match commemoration in light of the Armistice Day events taking place up and down the country with a minutes silence beautifully observed by all inside Glebe Park, followed by rendition of the Last Post by a guest bugler.

City started brightly and within the first couple of minutes, Boris Melingui was fouled outside the box but Callum Tapping could only drag his free kick wide. Almost immediately up at the other end, ex-City striker John Baird had a shot deflected wide.

On 12 minutes Kalvin Orsi came forward with the ball before firing off target and a few minutes later, McCallum saved comfortably from Andy Jackson.

City were well on top at this stage and Melingui then headed over from Sean Burns' delivery. Five minutes later Kalvin Orsi swung a cross in for Jackson who couldn't keep his header down.

Against the run of play, the visitors were awarded a penalty by referee David Dickinson after Aron Lynas had blocked a shot with his arm. Dylan Easton stepped up to take the spot kick but City keeper Conor Brennan was equal to the effort, diving to his right before the ball was cleared to safety.

This galvanised City and they would go on to blow Forfar away with three goals in the space of just eight minutes.

City grabbed the first goal on 27 minutes thanks to some individual brilliance from ANDY JACKSON. The striker had the beating of three defenders as he made his way into the box before drilling into the far corner of the net.

The advantage was doubled on 33 minutes thanks to that man ANDY JACKSON again. Callum Tapping lofted a delightful ball over the top for Jacko who steadied himself before firing a low volley beyond McCallum and into the corner.

Two minutes later the home support were in dreamland as City notched a third goal. Jackson was the architect this time - his low cross from the left went through a ruck of bodies in the box but fell kindly for ARON LYNAS to slam home his first ever City goal from a few yards out.

A shell-shocked Forfar side attempted to get themselves back into the game before the interval with the lively Dylan Easton dragging a shot just past the post.

The first 15 minutes of the second half went without incident as City worked hard to contain a Loons side who had no option but to push more men forward as they chased a route back into the game.

Ross Meechan dragged a shot wide for the visitors who would come closer shortly after when Dale Hilson's spectacular shot from range rattled off the post.

Dylan Easton was next to come close for the Loons when he beat his man down the left hand side before drilling a shot across the face of goal.

City remained dangerous on the counter attack and Jackson very nearly had his hat-trick. Euan Smith burst through the heart of midfield before feeding the ball through for 'Jacko' but his shot was palmed away by McCallum at the near post.

From the resulting corner, City put the gloss on the win with a 4th goal eight minutes from time. Tapping's floated delivery was met by the towering Dougie Hill who was denied by the crossbar, however the ball fell kindly for CAMERON BLUES who stabbed the ball home from a yard out - his first goal for the club since joining on loan from Livingston .

Overall a much improved showing from a rejuvenated City side with man-of-the-match Andy Jackson a particular standout. Barry Smith and assistant Stevie Campbell will be entirely satisfied with the result and performance ahead of another local derby at home to runaway league leaders Arbroath next weekend.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Arbroath 2 Montrose 0

The Lichties stretch their lead at the top to 10 points after a derby win.

Dumbarton 2 Stenhousemuir 1

Managerless Stenny go down to Dumbarton.

East Fife 2 Raith Rovers 1

East Fife come from behind to win at New Bayview thanks to a last minute winner.

Stranraer 1 Airdrieonians 2

The Diamonds edge out Stranraer at Stair Park.


10 November 2018
Glebe Park
Attendance: 638
Andy Jackson 27
Andy Jackson 33
Aron Lynas 35
Cameron Blues 82

Brechin City

1 Conor Brennan
3 Sean Burns
4 Ryan McGeever
5 Dougie Hill
6 Euan Spark
7 Kalvin Orsi
8 Callum Tapping
9 Andy Jackson
12 Aron Lynas
14 Euan Smith
17 Boris Melingui
10 Jordan Sinclair
15 Giuliano Morena
16 Jordan Tapping
19 Patrick O'Neil
22 Cameron Blues


  • On: Cameron Blues
    Off: Boris Melingui ( 72 )

Forfar Athletic

1 Marc McCallum
2 Jamie Bain
3 Ross Meechan
4 Darren Whyte
5 Michael Travis
6 Thomas Reilly
7 Dale Hilson
8 Mark Hill
9 John Baird
10 Dylan Easton
11 Murray Mackintosh
12 Lewis Moore
14 Ross Cunningham
15 Eddie Malone
16 Connor Coupe
17 Andrew Munro
21 Willie Muir


  • On: Lewis Moore
    Off: Murray Mackintosh ( 59 )
  • On: Connor Coupe
    Off: John Baird ( 72 )
  • On: Ross Cunningham
    Off: Dale Hilson ( 81 )