Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Forfar Athletic 1 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City continue to chase their first derby win of the season after having to settle for a share of the spoils against Forfar at Station Park yesterday afternoon.

For the first time in the league this season, City had taken a first half lead through St Johnstone loanee Callum Hendry however a 71st minute header from Michael Travis ensured Jim Weir's men took a point which, on the balance of play, was merited.

Darren Dods only made one change from the side that drew with Raith Rovers last weekend with Sean Burns returning to his regular left wing-back slot at the expense of Aron Lynas. Some positive news for City fans was the inclusion of captain Paul McLean on the substitutes bench who continues to work his way back to fitness following an injury he sustained nearly 2 months ago.

The home side started brightly and could have easily been ahead from a move straight from the kick off. Some miscommunication in the City defence saw the ball eventually fall for Ross Cunningham just 10 yards out but with the goal at his mercy, he screwed his shot wide of goal.

Cunningham would come close again ten minutes later when Euan Smith conceded a free kick on the edge of the box and the on-loan Hamilton striker curled a free kick round the wall but just wide of the post. The same player had another go two minutes later following a short corner but similarly to his previous efforts, he couldn't test Brennan in the City goal.

In the 17th minute, City took the lead against the run of play. Andy Jackson played the ball to CALLUM HENDRY just inside the box who unleashed a powerful effort into the far corner for his first City goal.

After an edgy start to the game, the goal gave City the confidence boost they needed and they would go on to control the remainder of the first half.

Kalvin Orsi was enjoying a lot of success getting forward on the right wing and he came inside before striking an effort high and wide of the goal from range.

Home keeper Marc McCallum was called into action just before the half hour mark when he tipped a 25 yard Callum Tapping free kick round the post for a corner. Two minutes later, Hendry had a go from outside the box which sailed harmlessly over the bar.

In a similar fashion to the start of the first half, Forfar came out with all guns blazing in the second period and Brennan had to be alert to push away Darren Whyte's effort after the ball had fallen kindly for the defender in the box.

Shortly before the hour mark, John Baird got behind the City defence and lobbed the ball into the area for Jamie Bain however his effort was straight at Brennan. Bain would test Brennan again with a dipping left foot shot which was tipped over the bar by the back-pedalling City stopper.

City struggled in the attacking third but almost doubled their advantage when a Sinclair corner fell kindly to McGeever just 5 yards out however McCallum spread himself well to keep out the shot from point blank range.

The Loons grabbed a deserved equaliser in the 71st minute when a corner swung in from the left was met by the unchallenged Forfar captain MICHAEL TRAVIS who headed powerfully into the corner.

The home side looked the most likely to grab a winner and they almost did just that as the game approached stoppage time. Jamie Bain was played clean through on goal but Brennan did superbly well to keep out the shot and shortly after, a Ross Meechan drive stung the hands of the City keeper who managed to gather at the second attempt.

Overall a point apiece was an accurate reflection of the game but City will be disappointed not to build on their period of domination following the opening goal. The home side were very much on top in the second half and City could have had few complaints had the Loons grabbed a winner.

It's back to Glebe Park next weekend as we welcome Stranraer who currently sit 7th in the table, just a solitary point behind City who sit in 5th, just outside the playoffs.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 1 Dumbarton 1

Point apiece at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Raith Rovers 1 Montrose 1

The Gables Endies gain a creditable draw at Starks.

Stenhousemuir 1 Arbroath 2

Lichties come from behind to go 4 points clear in League 1.

Stranraer 0 East Fife 2

East Fife move into the playoff spots after win over Stranraer.


22 September 2018
Station Park
Attendance: 635
Michael Travis 71
Callum Hendry 17

Brechin City

1 Conor Brennan
3 Sean Burns
4 Ryan McGeever
6 Euan Spark
7 Kalvin Orsi
8 Callum Tapping
9 Andy Jackson
10 Jordan Sinclair
14 Euan Smith
15 Giuliano Morena
23 Callum Hendry
2 Paul McLean
12 Aron Lynas
16 Jordan Tapping
17 Boris Melingui
19 Patrick O'Neil
21 Harvey Dailly


  • On: Aron Lynas
    Off: Jordan Sinclair ( 72 )
  • On: Boris Melingui
    Off: Giuliano Morena ( 85 )

Forfar Athletic

1 Marc McCallum
2 Ross Meechan
3 Darren Whyte
4 Aidan Wilson
5 Michael Travis
6 Thomas Reilly
7 Jamie Bain
8 Murray Mackintosh
9 John Baird
10 Ross Cunningham
11 Dale Hilson
12 Andrew Munro
14 Dylan Easton
15 Connor Coupe
16 Eddie Malone
17 John Kelly
18 Matthew Aitken
19 Willie Muir


  • On: Andrew Munro
    Off: Aidan Wilson ( 63 )
  • On: Matthew Aitken
    Off: Ross Cunningham ( 64 )
  • On: Dylan Easton
    Off: John Baird ( 83 )