Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 622856
Email :

Arbroath 2 Brechin City 2

Match Report - By Steven Mew

For the second time in the space of a week, City fought back from two goals down - this time to grab a deserved point away to league leaders Arbroath.

The home side came flying out the traps and were two goals in front after just 19 minutes, at which stage it looked as if it would be a case of damage limitation for Darren Dods' side. However, City improved as the game wore on and in fact could have easily snatched all 3 points after passing up a couple of gilt edged chances late on.

After picking up an injury against Dumbarton, Dougie Hill missed out with Euan Spark coming into the side at centre back. Meanwhile, recent loan signing Callum Hendry had to make do with a spot on the bench.

The match was barely a couple of minutes old when the home side opened the scoring. A free kick was only cleared as far as Gavin Swankie - he dinked another cross in to the box for the unmarked JASON THOMSON who headed into the far corner of the net.

City looked to respond to the early setback with Boris Melingui hitting the side netting whilst Sean Burns sliced a shot wide from Callum Tapping's floated corner.

Keeper Conor Brennan was called into action on 14 minutes when he made a fine save from Ryan Wallace, parrying away the strikers powerful effort from the edge of the area.

The City stopper, however, was left helpless four minutes later as the Lichties doubled their advantage. The ball fell kindly in the box for BOBBY LINN who struck low past Brennan with the aid of a slight deflection.

The rest of the first half was fairly uneventful, with the only other chance of note falling for Gavin Swankie who whistled a shot just wide from range five minutes before the break.

After a very flat first half performance, Darren Dods made a change at the break with Callum Hendry coming on for Melingui and the striker, signed on loan from St Johnstone on Thursday, made an immediate impact as City halved the deficit five minutes into the second period.

Hendry showed some terrific footwork to get past two Arbroath players before threading a ball to ANDY JACKSON 20 yards from goal. 'Jacko' emerged forward with the ball before curling a sumptuous shot into the far corner on his weaker left foot.

Just five minutes later City were level. Kalvin Orsi glided past Colin Hamilton down the right hand side before delivering an inch perfect cross for ANDY JACKSON who looped a header over the despairing reach of Jamieson and into the net.

Ex-City full back Colin Hamilton stung the hands of Brennan with a powerful long range effort as a shell-shocked home side looked to get themselves back in front.

The game flowed from end to end and a minute later, Jackson was denied his hat-trick by Jamieson however the linesman had already flagged for offside.

City had a glorious opportunity to put themselves in front midway through the second half. Sean Burns beat his man down the left side and cut the back back for Hendry who could only shoot straight at Jamieson with the goal at his mercy.

Although City were largely dominant at this stage, the Lichties were still very much a threat on the break. Winger Bobby Linn came in from the right before unleashing a drive which was parried by Brennan onto the roof of the net.

Callum Hendry was enjoying an impressive debut after coming on at half time and was at the heart of most City attacks. He tried his luck from outside the box but his effort went high and wide and five minutes from time, he shot straight at the keeper following a counter attack.

City continued to push for a third goal with Jamieson making a fine save to deny Lynas and as the game entered stoppage time, Orsi blazed over the bar following a Tapping corner.

Brechin were unable to force a winner but after going 2-0 so early on, those of a City persuasion will be more than satisfied with a point away from home against the league leaders.

Due to the international break, City have no game next weekend with the next fixture coming against Raith Rovers at Glebe Park on Saturday 15th September.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 2 Stranraer 0

The Diamonds get the better of Stranraer at the Penny Cars Stadium.

Montrose 0 East Fife 2

The Gable Endies slip to defeat against East Fife.

Raith Rovers 4 Forfar Athletic 0

Convincing win for Raith at Starks.

Stenhousemuir 2 Dumbarton 1

Stenny edge out Dumbarton at Ochilview.


1 September 2018
Gayfield Park
Attendance: 901
Jason Thomson 2
Bobby Linn 19
Andy Jackson 50
Andy Jackson 55

Brechin City

1 Conor Brennan
3 Sean Burns
4 Ryan McGeever
6 Euan Spark
7 Kalvin Orsi
8 Callum Tapping
9 Andy Jackson
10 Jordan Sinclair
14 Euan Smith
15 Giuliano Morena
17 Boris Melingui
12 Aron Lynas
21 Harvey Dailly
23 Callum Hendry
16 Jordan Tapping
19 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Callum Hendry
    Off: Boris Melingui ( 45 )
  • On: Aron Lynas
    Off: Jordan Sinclair ( 81 )


1 Darren Jamieson
2 Jason Thomson
3 Colin Hamilton
4 Ricky Little
5 Thomas O'Brien
6 Mark Whatley
7 Omar Kader
8 Callum Smith
9 Ryan Wallace
10 Gavin Swankie
11 Bobby Linn
12 Kane Hester
14 David Gold
15 Ryan McCord
16 Michael McKenna
17 Finn Graham
18 Danny Denholm
21 Darren Hill


  • On: Danny Denholm
    Off: Omar Kader ( 64 )
  • On: Michael McKenna
    Off: Callum Smith ( 64 )
  • On: David Gold
    Off: Jason Thomson ( 65 )