Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 3 Clyde 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

Clyde visited Glebe Park yesterday hopeful of a win which would put them into title contention after St Mirren’s slip up in recent weeks, but City were determined to break their duck in the league and record their first win since back in July, which ironically came against Clyde in the Bells Cup at Glebe Park. Clyde will have had, of course, one eye on their glamour Scottish Cup tie against Celtic in a couple of weeks time, a game which Roy Keane is expected to make his debut in.

This was the 4th meeting between the two sides so far this season, three of which at Glebe Park. The aforementioned Bell’s Cup victory was followed up by a 1-1 draw in the league at the Glebe, before Clyde gained revenge at Broadwood in a 2-1 defeat.

Pinky had Gary Bollan back into contention after suspension, while Steve Hampshire made his comeback after a lengthy spell on the sidelines. Pink also listed trialist striker Chris Geddes on the bench, who has been performing well for Pumpherston in the junior ranks. The gaffer opted to go for an attacking formation, which saw Charlie King and Darren Smith both start on the wings.

City started brightly and showed their intent from the start when Darren Smith beat two defenders before crossing for Kevin Byers, who drilled his effort over the bar. Five minutes later Craig Winter had a go for goal from outside the box but his effort went well wide.

Just a minute later at the other end Clyde had the ball in the net. Some good play by Chris Higgins down the left ended in a low cross which reached Joe Miller at the back post, who prodded into the net from a few yards out. Just as the assistant manager wheeled away to celebrate, the linesman put his flag up for offside. Joe Miller once again came close five minutes later. Eddie Malone’s low cross from the left was slammed towards goal by Miller, but was denied by an excellent save by Craig Nelson.

It was end to end stuff and just a minute later City had a chance at the other end, with Davie White volleying towards goal, but his shot was well saved by Clyde keeper Peter Cherrie.

Just a few minutes later City deservedly took the lead. Smith was once again causing problems down the left hand side and his accurate cross was met by Steve Hampshire, whose shot spun inside the post to give City the lead.

Throwing away leads has arguably been City’s problem this season and the players pushed for a second goal just before the break. White once again popped up with a chance when his volley went inches over the bar, before Charlie King’s effort was well kept out by Peter Cherrie after Craig Winter's knockdown.

City doubled their advantage ten minutes into the second half. Charlie King crossed into the box for Hampshire who once again got away from his marker to net his second goal in aid of a deflection.

Alex Burns made his comeback from a long spell on the sidelines when he replaced the tiring Darren Smith in the 67th minute.

Hampshire came agonisingly close to getting his hat-trick 20 minutes from time. ‘Hamps’ latched on to Charlie King’s clever flick before curling the ball just past the post.

City were dealt a blow after 74 minutes when Craig Winter was sent off for a second bookable offence. Ian Campbell then brought on trialist Chris Geddes for the hard-working Charlie King and Gerry Britton on for two goal hero Hampshire.

With three minutes on the clock City wrapped the game up with a third goal. Chris Geddes raced onto a free kick by Gary Bollan to slot into the net with a cool, composed finish to immediately win over the fans. Geddes had another couple of chances in the closing stages, one of which hit the side netting from outside the box and the other was well saved by Peter Cherrie after Geddes had lost his marker.

Clyde scored a consolation goal in stoppage time when Craig Bryson rammed the ball home after a goalmouth scramble.

The referee finally blew the full time whistle which was greeted by cheers by the long suffering Brechin supporters who had seen City go 21 games without a victory before this match. Sadly for Brechin, both QoS and Stranraer picked up excellent results also against teams in the top half of the table. Queens held leaders St Mirren to a goalless draw at Palmerston while Stranraer edged out Hamilton 5-4 in a thrilling match at Stair Park. This means City are still bottom of the pile, albeit just one point behind Queens, but still trail Stranraer by 10 points.

City now have 2 tough fixtures coming up against St Mirren at Love Street on Hogmanay and Ross County at Victoria Park on the 2nd of January.

Other Results - Bell's League Division 1

Dundee 2 Airdrie United 3

Airdrie claim all three points at Dens.

Queen of the South 0 St Mirren 0

St Mirren held by Queen of the South. City travel to Love Street on Hogmanay.

St Johnstone 1 Ross County 1

Ross County and St Johnstone share the points.


26 December 2005
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 711
Steve Hampshire 20
Steve Hampshire 55
. Trialist 87
Craig Bryson 90

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Craig Winter
3 Gary Bollan
4 David White
5 Scott Walker
6 Stuart Callaghan
7 Charlie King
8 Kevin Byers
9 Steve Hampshire
10 Ally Mitchell
11 Darren Smith
12 Steven Ferguson
14 Alex Burns
15 Gerry Britton
16 . Trialist
17 John Hillcoat


  • On: Alex Burns
    Off: Darren Smith ( 67 )
  • On: . Trialist
    Off: Charlie King ( 78 )
  • On: Gerry Britton
    Off: Steve Hampshire ( 80 )


1 Peter Cherie
2 Neil McGregor
3 Eddie Malone
4 Chris Higgins
5 Craig McKeown
6 Steve Masterton
7 Romaulo Bouadji
8 Stephen O'Donnell
9 Joe Miller
10 Tom Brighton
11 Mike McGowan
12 Craig Bryson
14 Alex Williams
15 Rob Harris
16 Rod Hunter
17 Paul Jarvie


  • On: Craig Bryson
    Off: Romaulo Bouadji ( 25 )
  • On: Alex Williams
    Off: Mike McGowan ( 51 )
  • On: Rod Hunter
    Off: Joe Miller ( 68 )