Brechin City Football Club

Team Lines

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
14 Aron Lynas
15 Euan Spark
20 Sean Crighton
6 James Dale
7 Callum Tapping
8 Finn Graham
21 Jordan Sinclair
9 Andy Jackson
17 Connor McLennan
3 Willie Dyer
4 Gary Fusco
10 Isaac Layne
11 Liam Watt
18 Kalvin Orsi
19 Patrick O'Neil
29 Euan Smith


  • On: Willie Dyer
    Off: Euan Spark (24)
  • On: Liam Watt
    Off: Jordan Sinclair (76)
  • On: Isaac Layne
    Off: Andy Jackson (81)


1 Derek Gaston
5 Ricki Lamie
6 Michael Doyle
17 Mark Russell
19 Luca Gasparotto
3 Andy Murdoch
4 Thomas O'Ware
14 Gary Harkins
15 Scott Tiffoney
9 Jai Quitongo
11 Robert McHugh
7 Gary Oliver
12 Michael Tidser
16 Lewis Strapp
21 Ruaridh Langan
22 Ben Armour
26 Jack Iredale
27 Dan Farrell


  • On: Gary Oliver
    Off: Jai Quitongo (38)
  • On: Michael Tidser
    Off: Gary Harkins (69)
  • On: Ben Armour
    Off: Luca Gasparotto (77)


Ladbrokes Championship

Brechin City 1 Morton 1 - By Steven Mew

Brechin City

06 January 2018

Glebe Park

(Attendance: 694)

Greenock Morton


Brechin City 1

Connor McLennan 7

Morton 1

Robert McHugh 12

Match Report

Report by Steven Mew

City gained a creditable draw against Greenock Morton yesterday afternoon, but had to survive a second half onslaught from the visitors to record their 4th point of the season.

Looking to bounce back from a heavy defeat against Dundee United at Tannadice on Tuesday, Darren Dods opted to go with a more attacking setup with four at the back.

There was a welcome return to the starting 11 for two City stalwarts – striker Andy Jackson was making his first start since August whilst skipper Paul McLean slotted back in the centre of defence after injury had limited him to the bench in the last couple of matches.

New signing Callum Tapping took his place in the centre of midfield for his second spell at Glebe Park having joined from fellow Championship side Queen of the South during the week.

City came flying out the traps and Tapping was involved immediately in the first minute when he won possession on the right hand side – McLennan then took the ball in his stride before running at the Morton defence however his effort was straight at Gaston.

However, with 7 minutes on the clock City got their noses in front. Andy Jackson made a clever run down the left hand side, he got to the byline before cutting the ball back to CONNOR MCLENNAN - he sidestepped his marker before placing the ball low into the corner for his 2nd goal of the season.

The lead was short lived as Morton were back on level terms just five minutes later. A corner from Harkins was headed back across goal by Luca Gasparotto which the City defence struggled to deal with and BOB MCHUGH was on hand to lash the ball high into the net.

City almost restored their lead just a minute later. Andy Jackson’s header from Sinclair’s cross produced a superb point blank save from Gaston and Mark Russell cleared the ball to safety before McLennan could tap home the rebound.

A couple of minutes later at the other end, a cross was into the box was only headed clear as far as Tiffoney on the edge of the box who jinked past Dale before striking inches wide of the post.

Darren Dods was forced into making a substitution after just 23 minutes when Euan Spark had to come off through injury – he was replaced by Willie Dyer.

Ten minutes before the break, Jai Quitingo found goalscorer Bob McHugh with a neat cutback but his shot was saved down low by Smith who parried the ball out for a corner. Quitongo appeared to injure himself in the process and he was replaced by Gary Oliver.

The second half was like a scene from the alamo as the visitors put City under sustained pressure for almost the entire second period. Understandably, there was a lot of heavy legs in the home side after a gruelling festive schedule against full time outfits.

Morton conjured up a glorious opportunity just two minutes after the restart. Scott Tiffoney sent in a dangerous cross to the back post for Gasparotto who sent a downwards headed just wide of the post when he really should have tested Smith in the City goal.

Ten minutes later, a neat exchange between between Murdoch and Oliver ended up with Bob McHugh striking narrowly past the post.

With 71 minutes gone, a ball dinked over the top sent Gary Oliver clean through on goal – he lobbed over the advancing Smith but Paul McLean was on hand to head the goalbound effort off the line. Barely a minute later Scott Tiffoney, who was causing no end of problems down the left side provided a cross which caused a goalmouth scramble in the City box before the ball was cleared away to safety.

Another chance went begging for Morton ten minutes from time. A cross from Oliver was headed away by Finn Graham but only as far as Andy Murdoch who lashed his volley wide.

With time rapidly running out, the visitors had one more opportunity to try and earn all three points when Scott Tiffoney latched on to a through ball before cutting inside and striking for goal but his effort was well saved by the feet of Smith.

Referee John McKendrick called time on what turned out to be a very good point for City with many players dead on their feet after a busy period. Darren Dods’ men now have a full week to recover before they go again next week, this time against Livingston at Glebe Park.

Other Results - Ladbrokes Championship

Dumbarton 0 Dunfermline Athletic 1

Narrow win for the Pars thanks to a Joe Cardle goal.

Falkirk 6 Dundee United 1

A quite incredible result at the Falkirk Stadium as United are dealt a hammering by the Bairns.

Livingston 0 Queen of the South 1

Chris Kane grabs the only goal of the game at the Tony Macaroni Arena.

St Mirren 1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0

The Buddies extend their lead at the top of the table to 6 points.




Hospitality Sponsor:


Shirt Co-Sponsor:

James Lammond
Shirt Co-Sponsor:

Ferguson Oliver
Official Travel Partner:

Blacks of Brechin
Teamsheet Sponsor:

The Ashvale
Irn-Bru Cup Betfred Cup Social Media Partner:
William Hill Scottish Cup

Sky Sports SPFL BT Sport