Brechin City Football Club

Team Lines

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
6 James Dale
8 Finn Graham
10 Isaac Layne
11 Liam Watt
14 Aron Lynas
15 Euan Spark
18 Kalvin Orsi
20 Sean Crighton
29 Euan Smith
19 Patrick O'Neil
4 Gary Fusco
9 Andy Jackson
12 Chris O'Neil
22 Jordan Sinclair


  • On: Jordan Sinclair
    Off: Kalvin Orsi (56)
  • On: Andy Jackson
    Off: Finn Graham (81)


1 Derek Gaston
3 Andy Murdoch
4 Thomas O'Ware
5 Ricki Lamie
6 Michael Doyle
7 Gary Oliver
8 Ross Forbes
10 Robert Thomson
14 Gary Harkins
15 Scott Tiffoney
19 Luca Gasparotto
20 Ross Doohan
9 Jai Quitongo
11 Bob McHugh
12 Michael Tidser
17 Mark Russell
21 Ruaridh Langan
22 Ben Armour


  • On: Michael Tidser
    Off: Andy Murdoch (59)
  • On: Jai Quitongo
    Off: Scott Tiffoney (74)
  • On: Ruaridh Langan
    Off: Gary Harkins (89)


Ladbrokes Championship

Morton 4 Brechin City 1 - By Steven Mew

Greenock Morton

02 December 2017

Cappielow Park

(Attendance: 1388)

Brechin City


Morton 4

Gary Oliver 4
Scott Tiffoney 44
Gary Harkins 72 (Pen)
Jai Quitongo 83

Brechin City 1

Isaac Layne 41

Match Report

Report by Steven Mew

City are still searching for their first league win of the season after sufferering a resounding defeat at the hands of Jim Duffy’s Morton side yesterday afternoon at Cappielow.

The scoreline doesn’t quite tell the whole story, with City very much in the game and on the lookout for an equaliser until the referee awarded a controversial penalty to the home side to allow them to go 3-1 up eighteen minutes from time – effectively ending the game as a contest.

City had gone into the game looking to bounce back from a disappointing 4-0 defeat to Inverness in the highlands midweek. Manager Darren Dods was forced into a couple of changes with Willie Dyer suffering an injury in that defeat. Aron Lynas took his place and started on the right side of defence, with Euan Spark filling in the void left by Dyer on the left.

The frontline was also freshened up, with Kalvin Orsi getting a chance ahead of McLennan who picked up an injury training midweek with parent club Aberdeen. A heartening sight for City fans was the return of Andy Jackson to the squad following a stomach tear which has kept him out of action for over 3 months.

The game got off to the worst possible start for City as the home side opened the scoring with just 4 minutes on the clock. A dangerous in-swinging cross from Ross Forbes was met with the deftest of touches from GARY OLIVER and the ball sailed the far corner of the net past a despairing ‘Buzz’.

Despite the early setback City did come into the game. With 18 minutes on the clock, James Dale provided a cross for Sean Crighton who could only head wide of the goal. At the other end, Scott Tiffoney could only drag his shot off target from the edge of the box.

On the half hour mark, ex City frontman Robert Thomson and Graeme Smith clattered in the box following a Doyle cross, the ball was delivered back into the danger area with Thomson heading onto the roof of the net. Just a minute later, the home side were awarded a free kick in a dangerous area however Ross Forbes could only strike over the bar.

Morton continued to put on pressure – a corner from Gary Harkins caused havoc in the penalty box but the City rearguard defended heroically to block a couple of efforts before clearing to safety.

On 37 minutes, City skipper Paul McLean attempted one of his trademark mazy runs through midfield which resulted in him shooting straight at Gaston from range.

With four minutes remaining of the first half, City got themselves level. ISAAC LAYNE, in quite splendid form at the moment – showed some great determination to keep possession in the penalty area before dispatching an unstoppable drive into the far corner for his 4th goal of the season.

Unfortunately City were not level for long as the home side equalised on the stroke of half time. A corner from the left was only cleared as far as SCOTT TIFFONEY who struck a dipping volley over a ruck of bodies and into the far corner of the net.

Ten minutes into the second period, Paul McLean had an another foray into the Morton half but this time his shot from 25 yards went wide of the target.

The game then went without major incident up until the 72nd minute when Morton were awarded a contentious penalty. Gary Oliver ran into the box and was adjudged to have been fouled despite there being no claims from the Morton players for a penalty. Experienced midfielder GARY HARKINS stepped up to send Smith the wrong way from the spot.

Andy Jackson made his long awaited return from injury eight minutes from time when he replaced the tireless Finn Graham. The introduction of ‘Jacko’ was met with a huge cheer from the hardy band of travelling supporters.

Now with a two goal cushion, Morton settled down and went on to dominate the rest of the game. After 83 minutes, Robert Thomson headed straight at Smith following a Doyle cross.

Just a minute later, Morton put the game beyond doubt with a fourth goal. It’s not one that Aron Lynas will look back at fondly as his poor back-pass was intercepted by Ross Forbes who squared the ball across the face of goal for substitute JAI QUITONGO - he had the easy task of tapping the ball into the empty net from a few yards out.

Two minutes from time, ex City man Thomson nearly got himself on the scoresheet but his header from a right sided cross rattled off the junction of post and bar.

As the game approached stoppage time, Graeme Smith had to alert on several occasions to keep the scoreline down. Firstly, he done well to save at the feet of Jai Quitongo then from the following corner, the City defence did well to clear off the line.

In the final action of the game, a corner from substitute Michael Tidser was volleyed goalwards by Ricki Lamie with Smith getting down well to palm the effort away.

Overall, a bitterly disappointing afternoon for City as they fall to a second consecutive heavy defeat after such an encouraging point against Dundee United last weekend. Next up for Darren Dods’ men is St Mirren at Glebe Park next Saturday.

Other Results - Ladbrokes Championship

Dundee United 2 Dunfermline Athletic 1

United return to the top of the league after a narrow win.

Queen of the South 0 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0

Stalemate at Palmerston.

St Mirren 0 Dumbarton 1

Shock win for the Sons at St Mirren Park.




Hospitality Sponsor:


Shirt Co-Sponsor:

James Lammond
Shirt Co-Sponsor:

Ferguson Oliver
Official Travel Partner:

Blacks of Brechin
Teamsheet Sponsor:

The Ashvale
Irn-Bru Cup Betfred Cup Social Media Partner:
William Hill Scottish Cup

Sky Sports

BT Sport