Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Cowdenbeath 2 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Cowdenbeath 2 Brechin City 1

Brechin City will almost certainly have to win their last three games if they are to avoid automatic relegation following a 2-1 defeat from Cowdenbeath at Central Park.

The old adage that football can be a cruel game at times was never more apparent than in this game with City losing an early goal with just 40 seconds on the clock. However, rather than let their heads go down, Darren Dods men laid almost constant siege to the Blue Brazil goal in search of an equaliser but despite creating a barrowload of chances they could just not get the ball past Grant Adam in the home goal.

City's domination continued after the break and they looked as if they'd rescued an invaluable point with twenty minutes remaining when Lewis Spence who was outstanding throughout the ninety minutes grabbed a thoroughly deserved equaliser but disaster struck five minutes from the end when substitute Chris Kane rose above the visitor's defence to head home the winner.

It was a real sickener for the City players who had put so much into the game and they left the field totally dejected with nothing to show for their efforts.

Manager Dods made just one change to the side that defeated Stenhousemuir at the Glebe the previous week with Willie Dyer returning at left-back after his one game, suspension while Jamie Robson who stood in for Willie in that game was retained in the team at the expense of the suspended Jonathan Tiffoney.

City were shocked to the core when the Blue Brazil grabbed the lead with barely a minute on the clock.

The ball was headed out by the City defence only as far as Kieran Gibbons who fired in a shot which was spilled by Graeme Smith into the path of top scorer Greig Spence who took a touch before slotting the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

City hit back immediately and Spence played a pass across the face of the Cowdenbeath penalty area for Jamie Robson who cut inside and fired in a shot which was parried away by Grant Adam in the home goal and City threatened again just a couple of minutes later when Spence played the ball back for Liam Watt whose drive was blocked by the home defence.

Despite being a goal behind, City were exerting a lot of pressure in the opening minutes and in the 6th minute, Gary Fusco did really well to hold off a challenge and release Andy Jackson who played a pass out wide in the right for Spence who cut inside before playing a good ball across the box but unfortunately there were no takers.

Cowden then broke quickly and Smith had to look sharp to keep out an effort from Lewis Milne and play swung quickly to the other end with Adam coming off his line to avert a certain goal, blocking the ball at Robert Thomson's feet.

Robert did really well seven minutes later when he collected the ball at the right corner flag and despite the close attention of Mo Yaqub managed to swing in a cross which fell neatly for Willie Dyer whose fierce left-foot drive was only inches past and Willie had another go jest a minute later but this time his shot was well wide of the post.

The home side relieved the almost continuous pressure midway through the half when Declan McDaid fired in a drive from around 25 yards but it was well wide of the target.

However, City continued their relentless pressure on the home goal in search of an equaliser and they were desperately unlucky in the 27th minute when Dyer swung over a corner from the right with Gary Fusco diving forward to bullet in a header which went narrowly past.

Watt was next to have a go a couple of minutes later when he picked up a short pass from Spence and shot for goal, but again, it was past the target.

City's continuous pressure almost bore fruit in the 31st minute when a long pass from Paul McLean was expertly chested down by Jackson into the path of Robson whose angular drive was tipped away by Adam and eight minutes before the break a Watt shot was parried for a corner by Adam and from the resultant kick, the ball fell kindly for Jackson who tried an overhead shot which was blocked by the home defence and 'Jacko' was unlucky again a couple of minutes later when he steered a shot just wide of the target.

City continued in the same manner after the break and six minutes into the half, Dyer delivered a free-kick into the home penalty-box for Thomson who despite the close attention of three Cowden defenders still managed to get in a shot which was just k we the bar.

City kept up the momentum and on the hour mark, a cracking challenge from Spence saw him win the ball midway in his own half and release Watt wide on the right who immediately played in Robson whose drive was converted for a corner.

The home side had a rare opportunity in the 66th minute when they won a corner on the left, and from the resultant kick full-back Craig Sives headed the ball just last Smith's left-hand post.

Play then swung back to the other end and this time City's pressure paid off when they scored a deserved equaliser when Robson played a short cross to the edge of the box for Spence who slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

The goal was no kore than City deserved and they continued to press the home defence in search of the winner and it almost came eleven minutes from time when Jackson did exceptionally well to collect a cross from Thomson and hold the ball just long enough before playing it back to Watt, but unfortunately the midfielder's ,ow Sri e was held by Adam.

Just when it looked as if City's constant pressure just might pay off, they were hit by a sucker punch with five minutes remaining.

The Fifers won a corner on the left and when the kick came into the box, Chris Kane rose above the City defence to steer a header beyond the reach of Smith.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 1 Stenhousemuir 1

All Square At Excelsior Stadium

Ayr United 0 Albion Rovers 1

Great Away Win For Rovers

Dunfermline Athletic 2 Forfar Athletic 2

Loons Earn Vital Point


9 April 2016
Central Park
Attendance: 455
Greg Spence 1
Chris Kane 85
Lewis Spence 70

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Gary Fusco
5 Jaseem Sukar
6 Lewis Spence
7 Jamie Robson
8 James Dale
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 Liam Watt
12 Craig Molloy
14 Liam Coogans
15 Euan Smith
16 Jamie Montgomery
17 David Weatherston
18 Lukas Culjac
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Craig Molloy
    Off: Lewis Spence ( 78 )
  • On: Liam Coogans
    Off: James Dale ( 87 )


1 Grant Adam
2 Dean Brett
3 Craig Sives
4 Aldin El Zubaidi
5 Mo Yaqub
6 Declan McDaid
7 Declan Hughes
8 Kieran Gibbons
9 Liam Callaghan
10 Lewis Milne
11 Greg Spence
12 Brad Donaldson
14 Kenny Adamson
15 Chris Kane
16 Kyle Miller
17 Alan Roman (GK)
18 Ross Caldwell
19 Declan Byrne


  • On: Chris Kane
    Off: Declan McDaid ( 34 )
  • On: Kyle Miller
    Off: Liam Callaghan ( 40 )
  • On: Declan Byrne
    Off: Greg Spence ( 89 )