Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Albion Rovers 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City 2 Albion Rovers 1

Brechin City moved off the bottom of the Ladbrokes League One table and notched up their fourth win in a row with a hard-fought but deserved victory over Albion Rovers at Glebe Park.

Trailing 1-0 at half-time, City piled on the pressure after the break but a stubborn Rovers rearguard, superbly marshalled by Ross Dunlop and former City defender Mick Dunlop were giving very little away and despite almost constant City pressure, clear-cut chances were proving difficult to create. However, the vital breakthrough came ten minutes from the end when Robert Thomson blasted the ball home from close-range to level the match and City's perseverance and patience paid off just five minutes later when Jonathan Tiffoney crossed into the Rovers box for Thomson who laid the ball on for substitute Liam Coogans who deftly steered the ball into the bottom corner of the net to score his first goal for the club on his home debut.

It was yet another terrific performance from Darren Dod's men with every single player giving his all to ensure that the side have a fighting chance of avoiding the drop.

With six games remaining and just four points separating City, Forfar, Stenhousemuir and Cowdenbeath there will be a few twists and turns yet before the end of the season but if City can maintain this sort of form and commitment going into those final six matches then League One survival which seemed so forlorn just a couple of weeks ago is definitely within the grasp of the players.

City boss Dods made just won change to the side that won at Airdrie the previous Saturday with Liam Watt coming back into the side at the expense of Jonathan Tiffoney.

The opening period was evenly matched with no clear-cut opportunities for either side, but City threatened in the 10th minute when Andy Jackson played a great cross-field pass out on the left to Willie Dyer who delivered a food cross into the Rovers box which just unfortunately just eluded Thomson.

However, Rovers hit back and opened the scoring just seconds later. The ball was played out wide on the right to Spas Georgiev who played the ball across the face of the 18 yard line for Ally Love who drilled a low left-foot drive into the bottom corner of the net giving City keeper Graeme Smith absolutely no chance.

City tried hard to hit back, but the Rovers midfield were closing them down quickly and anytime they did break through, the resolute visitors defence were giving nothing away. The home side came close though in the 31st minute when Jackson did brilliantly to drag the ball to the bye-line before passing it back for Lewis Spence who hit it first time, but unfortunately over the bar and the hosts had a half-chance eight minutes later when Liam Watt flighted a good free-kick into the box for Dods who headed the ball well wide of the target.

The last chance of the half came the visitors way with four minutes remaining when Love picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and tried a shot which was well over the bar.

City came close to grabbing the equaliser seven minutes into the second-half when a long ball from defence was headed back by Thomson into the path of Spence who blasted a low drive just inches wide of the target.

Rovers though scorned a good opportunity to go two goals up in the 67th minute when they broke quickly with the ball being played through to Georgiev who looked set to score but he hit the side-netting from good position.

City responded a couple of minutes later when Watt delivered a good corner from the left into the Rovers box with Paul McLean rising above the visitors defence to power in a header but unfortunately it was too direct and Ross Stewart in the Albion goal saved easily.

The home side were now piling the pressure on and they at last made the vital breakthrough to level the match with ten minutes remaining when Thomson pounced on a loose ball in the visitors box to blast a low drive last Stewart.

City now had their tails up and they dramatically scored a superb winner five minutes later. The ball was played out to substitute Jonathan Tiffoney wide on the right and he pushed forward before crossing into the box for Thomson who deftly laid it on for sub Liam Coogans who drilled a low drive past Stewart to the delight and ecstasy of the home support.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Cowdenbeath 0 Dunfermline Athletic 1

Cowden Bottom After Defeat From Pars

Forfar Athletic 3 Ayr United 1

Vital Victory For Loons

Peterhead 1 Airdrieonians 0

One Goal Does It For Blue Toon

Stranraer 3 Stenhousemuir 1

Blues Too Strong For Warriors


19 March 2016
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 461
Robert Thomson 80
Liam Coogans 85
Ally Love 11

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Gary Fusco
5 Darren Dods
6 James Dale
7 Lewis Spence
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 Liam Watt
12 Liam Coogans
14 Jonathan Tiffoney
15 Euan Smith
16 Scott Shepherd
17 Jamie Montgomery
18 Lukas Culjac
19 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Jonathan Tiffoney
    Off: James Dale ( 50 )
  • On: Liam Coogans
    Off: Craig Molloy ( 61 )
  • On: Euan Smith
    Off: Andy Jackson ( 88 )

Albion Rovers

1 Ross Stewart
2 Alan Reid
3 Kyle Turnbull
4 Ricardo Talu
5 Ross Dunlop
6 Michael Dunlop
7 Spas Georgiev
8 Ross Davidson
9 Ally Love
10 Mark Ferry
11 Scott McBride
12 Paul Archibald
14 Darren Young
16 Calum McRobbie
18 Alexander More
19 Blair Lochhead


  • On: Darren Young
    Off: Ricardo Talu ( 45 )
  • On: Paul Archibald
    Off: Ally Love ( 73 )
  • On: Calum McRobbie
    Off: Mark Ferry ( 83 )