Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Stranraer 2 Brechin City 0

Match Report - By Grant Hood

Brechin City's dismal season continued with a disappointing 2-0 defeat away to Stranraer, a result which saw the home side extend the points differential to 10, leaving City heading into a series of February fixtures deep in the relegation mire.

On a day which saw 6 SPFL fixtures fall foul of the weather, the far south west was a welcoming oasis of green, with the game never in doubt. The match started in bright sunshine albeit with City playing against a bitterly cold wind driving down the pitch over the home enclosure.

Player-Manager Darren Dods inclusion was the only change to Brechin's starting XI from last weekend's come-back 3-3 draw with Airdrieonians, replacing the injured Paul McLean at the heart of the defence.

City had the early attempts on goal - a Willie Dyer free-kick over the bar, an Andy Jackson shot on the turn which drifted wide, and a David Weatherson effort rightly ruled out for offside.

After 20 minutes the home side enjoyed a series of threats on the City goal. Striker Jamie Longworth firstly just failed to connect with a dangerous cross ball from the left, then couldn't quite gather an Andrew Stirling cross from the right - before Stirling himself stung the hands of Graeme Smith in the City goal resulting in something of a 'stramash' before player-manager Dods slid in to concede a corner.

With the strong wind at their backs, the Stair Park side upped the intensity of their attacking play in the lead up to half-time, with a dangerous corner causing consternation in the City 6-yard box before Gary Fusco cleared off the line and 'Buzz' intervened to parry another high swirling ball.

Disaster struck City just as the clock showed 45 minutes. A surging run from home dangerman Willie Gibson saw him fire a ferocious shot from the corner of the penalty box. 'Buzz' did well to get both hands to the shot but, sadly for City, it dropped kindly to ANDREW STIRLING who did exceptionally well to adjust his footing and guide the ball into the unguarded net.

It was harsh on City who had contributed hugely to a relatively even first half, giving the hardy band of travelling supporters cause for optimism knowing that their favourites would have the wind at their backs during the second half.

Sadly, any perceived advantage City might enjoy came to nothing in a second half devoid of fluent attacking play from the Glebe Park side. Until a second and ultimately clinching goal arrived for the home side, the incidents of note related to the issue of yellow cards for a series of unsavoury and frankly quite un-necessary incidents. Firstly, home striker Craig Malcolm was cautioned for blocking a kick-out from Graeme Smith,
coming hot on the heels of a childish verbal exchange. Shortly afterwards Andrew Stirling endured the same cautionary fate from referee David Munro, being deemed as guilty of simulation in a tussle for possession with 'Buzz' from a deflected shot. The City keeper himself earned himself the same yellow card punishment for what can best be described as inappropriate verbal interaction with the home fans.

The goal which sealed City's fate came as a result of a what some saw as a harsh free-kick awarded to Stranraer after 79 minutes as Dods was penalised for high feet at the edge of the City box. This gave WILLIE GIBSON the chance for a direct shot at goal and, to the supreme glee of the home supporters, he struck an outstanding shot high into Buzz's top right corner.

Of huge disappointment to the City fans was the reality that, despite any benefit of the howling wind, the only attempts on target in the second half came in the form of a tame lobbed effort from Robert Thomson and a more than decent low drive from Lewis Spence. Notably, both of these attempts came with City chasing the game at 0-2 by which time confidence was oozing through the home side.

In fact it could easily have been worse for City in the latter stages had it not been for a goal-saving challenge from Dods and another goal line clearance from Gary Fusco.

As City trooped off the park in advance of the long journey back to the north east, it became abundantly clear that a crucial month lay ahead, with the City and Angus rivals Forfar Athletic becoming increasingly isolated at the wrong end of Ladbrokes League One.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Peterhead 5 Albion Rovers 1

Thumping home win for The Blue Toon


30 January 2016
Stair Park
Attendance: 435
Andrew Stirling 45
Willie Gibson 79

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Gary Fusco
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 Darren Dods
6 Lewis Spence
7 David Weatherston
8 James Dale
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 Scott Shepherd
12 Craig Molloy
14 Jonathan Tiffoney
15 Craig Johnston
16 Jamie Montgomery
17 Euan Smith
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Craig Johnston
    Off: Scott Shepherd ( 67 )
  • On: Jamie Montgomery
    Off: David Weatherston ( 80 )


1 Cameron Belford
4 Craig Pettigrew
15 Liam Dick
8 Steven Bell
24 Scott Rumsby
2 Scott Robertson
7 Paul Cairney
10 Andrew Stirling
33 Willie Gibson
9 Craig Malcolm
14 Jamie Longworth
11 Sam McCloskey
12 Luciano Nequecaur
16 Kyle Turner
20 Mark McGuigan
23 Ryan Thomson
13 Max Currie


  • On: Ryan Thomson
    Off: Jamie Longworth ( 74 )
  • On: Mark McGuigan
    Off: Willie Gibson ( 82 )
  • On: Luciano Nequecaur
    Off: Craig Malcolm ( 83 )