Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Ayr United 2 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By Grant Hood

There was to be no Christmas cheer for Brechin City as Darren Dods' team returned pointless from their Boxing Day clash at a rain-sodden Somerset Park. Two goals conceded during a frenetic opening 13 minutes proved to be too much for City to overcome as the Glebe Park side slumped back to the bottom of League One.

Going into the game on the back of a win and a draw, Dods made one enforced change to his starting line up bringing Euan Smith into midfield to replace James Dale who was unavailable.

With questions being asked about the condition of the playing surface following incessant rain, City kicked off and the game's first chance fell to City striker Isaac Layne, who gathered possession in midfield and powered into the home box, blasting a shot into the side netting before a minute had elapsed.

With only 4 minutes on the clock an Ayr corner was not cleared sufficiently and the ball fell to ALAN FORREST whose low first-time strike found its way into the corner of the net. This gave the home side the early boost they were looking for, coming into the game as they did on 3 straight defeats.

Shortly afterwards, Craig Moore played a neat one-two to create a shooting chance at the edge of the box, only for his strike to smack the post with 'Buzz' in the City goal well beaten.

The onslaught continued and a low Michael Donald effort brought a terrific low save from 'Buzz'. Frustratingly for City though, in the resultant melee, the was knocked high into the air and ball fell kindly for CRAIG MOORE who nudged the ball home from close range - a soft goal which saw City two-down - and the game wasn't yet a quarter of an hour old.

City worked hard to regain a foothold in the game, with much of the threat emanating from lively striker Isaac Layne. Firstly, a low driven cross had no takers, before he forced a double save from Greg Fleming in the home goal. Andy Jackson then won a header to set up a shooting chance for Layne, who shot narrowly over the bar. Dene Shields then did well to cross from the right, which saw a Jackson effort blocked from close-in. In the scramble which ensued, Layne had 2 further efforts, the first of which rebounded off the crossbar and his second blocked. Another Layne effort, this time from a headed Shields knock-down, fizzed over the bar.

In amongst these Layne efforts were a couple of shots from home striker Jordan Preston which were dealt comfortably by 'Buzz' - but ultimately City trooped off at half-time facing a 2-goal deficit.

The home side had two early second half chances to put the game behind City's reach. Firstly former City favourite Alan Trouten found himself in splendid isolation on the Ayr right and, having rounded 'Buzz', saw his shot blocked on the goal-line by a combination of Willie Dyer and Paul McLean. Moments later, as a result of some intricate play, good ball retention and a delicious flick to set up a shooting chance, 'Trouts' skewed his low shot wide of City's right hand post.

City striker Dene Shields then came close on two occasions. Firstly, a powerful downward header from a City corner forced keeper Fleming into an exquisite save as he diverted the ball up and over the bar. Moments later he created his own opportunity latching on to a through ball with a powerful surge and a blast at goal which only just cleared the home crossbar.

Ayr continued to threaten and home substitute Ross Caldwell squandered a great chance when his shot grazed the crossbar when 1-on-1 with the City keeper, an opportunity which came about as a direct result of the ball sticking in the mud. 'Buzz' came to City's rescue moments later in almost identical fashion, this time thwarting striker Jordan Preston when he was clean through on goal.

Primarily down to the worsening underfoot conditions, chances were coming along with at regular intervals - albeit the majority of these were for the home side. City did have a chance with 8 minutes to go, but with a number of players failing to make decisive contact the ball just about trundled through the mud into the arms of the grateful home keeper.

City finally got on the scoresheet a minute into injury time, when late substitute ROBERT THOMSON finally forced the ball over the line after a number of attempts were blocked in a quite ridiculous goalmouth scramble preceded by a low cross from City's left by Dene Shields

Sadly for City, the home side saw out the remaining time without any real scares and Darren Dods' hard working team left the field with nothing to show for their efforts - amidst cheers ringing out from the delighted home support.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 3 Peterhead 4

Late 3 goal blast secures Blue Toon win in 7 goal thriller

Forfar Athletic 2 Dunfermline Athletic 4

No debut delight for Bollan as Pars stay top

Stenhousemuir 1 Stranraer 5

Stranraer Stun Stenny to move off bottom of league


26 December 2015
Somerset Park
Attendance: 1485
Alan Forrest 4
Craig Moore 13
Robert Thomson 90

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 Gary Fusco
6 Euan Smith
7 David Weatherston
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Isaac Layne
11 Dene Shields
12 Robert Thomson
14 Jamie Montgomery
15 Craig Johnston
16 Jonathan Tiffoney
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Jonathan Tiffoney
    Off: Andy Jackson ( 67 )
  • On: Jamie Montgomery
    Off: Euan Smith ( 74 )
  • On: Robert Thomson
    Off: David Weatherston ( 82 )

Ayr United

1 Greg Fleming
2 Nicky Devlin
3 Michael Donald
4 Peter Murphy
5 Andy Graham
6 Ryan Stevenson
7 Brian Gilmour
8 Craig Moore
9 Jordan Preston
10 Alan Trouten
11 Alan Forrest
12 Gerry McLauchlan
14 Robbie Crawford
15 Ross Caldwell
16 Andy Muir
17 Craig McCracken
21 Shaun Newman


  • On: Ross Caldwell
    Off: Craig Moore ( 56 )
  • On: Robbie Crawford
    Off: Ryan Stevenson ( 66 )
  • On: Gerry McLauchlan
    Off: Alan Trouten ( 71 )