Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Stranraer 0

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City moved off the bottom of the Ladbrokes Scottish League One table for only the second time this season after a hard-fought victory over Stranraer who now move down to basement position.

Both of City's goals came in the first-half with Dene Shields grabbing the opener with a superb strike after 18 minutes and Isaaac Layne increasing City's advantage with a blistering drive just five minutes later.

It should have been 3-0 for City a minute from half-time when they were awarded a penalty after David Weatherston had been brought down in the box by Scott Rumsby but visitors keeper David McGurn did well to tip Layne's spot-kick away.

The Blues really pushed forward after the break in an effort to take something from the match but the City rearguard stood their ground and defended really well to ensure that City collected three vital league points.

The visitors grabbed the initiative straight from the kick-off and Graeme Smith was called into action after just a couple of minutes when he saved a shot by Scott Robertson at the second attempt after good work from Paul Cairney on the right flank had created the opening.

Robertson had another go for goal nine minutes later, when tried a shot from 20 yards. but Smith saved easily.

The visitors were really pressing the home defence in the early stages and in the 14th minute the ball was played through to Mark McGuigan deep in the City box and only a superb last-gasp tackle from Paul McLean averted the danger. The Blues came close again three minutes later when Ryan Thomson did well to reach the bye-line before cutting the ball back across the face of the goal but Smith was quickly off his line to clutch the ball.

City had had to withstand a lot of pressure in the opening minutes but they gave the perfect response when they grabbed the opener just a minute later.

Isaac Layne picked up the ball on the left edge of the Stranraer penalty-box and delivered a perfectly timed pass across the eighteen yard line for DENE SHIELDS who turned smartly before unleashing a blistering drive into the top corner of the net.

City had their tails up and they made it 2-0 just five minutes later.

The ball was again played to LAYNE on the left edge of the box but this time instead of crossing into the box, he expertly jinxed last two Blues defenders before sending a cracking right-foot drive into the bottom corner of the net which Stranraer keeper David McGurn was helpless to stop.

It was now City who were calling the shots after the visitors impressive start to the match and they came close again in the 32nd minute when McGurn had to scoop the ball away from Andy Jackson's feet after great work on the right from Shields had created the opening.

McGurn was in action again eight minutes later when he had to punch the ball away from Layne after another good cross into the box from Shields.

It was now all City and with just a minute of the half remaining they were awarded a penalty-kick after David Weatherston was upended in the box by Scott Rumsby. Layne stepped up to take the kick but McGurn who had been in impressive form dived to his left to parry the ball away.

If City had scored from the spot-kick it would have undoubtedly been game over but it was the visitors who not surprisingly got a lift from the penalty save and they began the second-half fully intent on getting back on level terms.

They threatened the City goal within a couple of minutes of the re-start when Craig Pettigrew made ground on the right and crossed into the box but Smith was smartly off his line to block the ball at McGuigan's feet.

The Blues were pressing forward but City were desperately unlucky not go three goals ahead in the 55th minute when Layne relieved the pressure on the home defence and passed forward to Jackson. 'Jacko' then took a couple of steps before firing in a great strike which brought off an equally good save from McGurn who tipped the ball round the post.

The visitors were having plenty of territorial possession without really creating anything clear-cut in front of goal but they came mightily close to reducing the deficit in the 62nd minute when substitute Kyle Turner who had replaced Ryan Thomson just a minute earlier made space for himself in the box before firing in a shot which luckily for City hit the base of the post before being cleared.

The Blues were piling the pressure on the City goal as the minutes ticked by and in the 82nd minute a shot from substitute Jamie Longworth was well saved by Smith.

The visitors continued to press in the closing stages but the City defence superbly marshalled by Paul McLean and Darren McCormack were giving absolutely nothing away and every City player was working his socks off in an effort to secure the three points which were thankfully secure when referee Mike Roncone sounded the final whistle deep into injury-time.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Albion Rovers 1 Forfar Athletic 1

Points Shared At Cliftonhill

Cowdenbeath 3 Airdrieonians 0

Comfortable Victory For Blue Brazil

Dunfermline Athletic 1 Stenhousemuir 0

One Goal Enough For Pars

Peterhead 3 Ayr United 0

Blue Toon Ease To Comfortable Win


19 December 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 401
Dene Shields 18
Isaac Layne 23

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 Gary Fusco
6 James Dale
7 David Weatherston
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Isaac Layne
11 Dene Shields
12 Robert Thomson
14 Jamie Montgomery
15 Euan Smith
16 Jonathan Tiffoney
17 Craig Johnston
18 Darren Dods
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Robert Thomson
    Off: David Weatherston ( 76 )
  • On: Jonathan Tiffoney
    Off: Dene Shields ( 83 )


1 David McGurn
4 Craig Pettigrew
5 David Barron
8 Steven Bell
24 Scott Rumsby
2 Scott Robertson
7 Paul Cairney
15 Liam Dick
23 Ryan Thomson
9 Craig Malcolm
20 Mark McGuigan
3 Dale Keenan
11 Sam McLuskey
14 Jamie Longworth
16 Kyle Turner
18 Peter McGill
25 Luciano Nequecaur
13 Max Christie


  • On: Jamie Longworth
    Off: Liam Dick ( 45 )
  • On: Kyle Turner
    Off: Ryan Thomson ( 61 )
  • On: Luciano Nequecaur
    Off: Scott Rumsby ( 71 )