Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 1 Peterhead 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City - Peterhead Match Report

Brechin City 1 Peterhead 1

Brechin City and Peterhead shared the spoils after a pulsating and hugely entertaining match at Glebe Park.

The Blue Toon grabbed the lead after just six minutes when a Leighton McIntosh shot took a slight deflection off City defender Darren McCormack before entering the net but City just never gave up thereafter and they got a just reward for their efforts when substitute Robert Thomson blasted home an Isaac Layne pass with just ten minutes remaining on the clock.

A point was the very least that City deserved from the game and set them up nicely for next week's vitally important home clash against Stranraer who sit just two points above them in the Ladbrokes League One table.

Skipper Craig Molloy and defender Willie Dyer were restored to the hosts opening line-up with striker Dene Shields also getting his first start in several weeks after being out with injury. Player-boss Darren Dods, Jonathan Tiffoney and Robert Thomson dropped down to the bench.

City started well but they were shocked to find themselves a goal down after just six minutes.

Jordon Brown collected the ball wide on the right and sent a good pass into the City box for LEIGHTON MCINTOSH who quickly turned before firing in a right-foot drive which took a slight deflection off City defender Darren McCormack before entering the net with Graeme Smith wrong-footed.

City hit back, and an Isaac Layne shot was well saved by Graeme Smith in the Peterhead goal and seconds later at the other end Brown fired a drive over the bar.

City pushed forward again and great inter-linking play between Andy Jackson and David Weatherston ended with the latter sensing over a great cross into the box which was unfortunately just beyond Layne.

Both teams were moving forward at every opportunity but former City player Rory McAllister then came close for the visitors on a couple of occasions.

In the 32nd minute he collected the ball wide on the right and then beat a couple of City defenders before driving in a great shot which brought off a superb save from Smith and seven minutes later he picked up the ball on the other flank and moved into the box before firing in a drive which again Smith was equal to.

The last chance of the half though came City's way a couple of minutes before half-time.

Weatherston and Dene Shields combined well before Dene sent a shot pass into the box for Jackson who looked set to score until Blue Toon full-back Nathan Blockley appeared from nowhere to scoop the ball away.

City took the game to the Blue Toon immediately after the break and Layne was unlucky to see a shot from the edge of the box go inches wide within four minutes of the second-half beginning.

The visitors then had what looked strong claims for a penalty denied by referee Gavin Duncan after McAllister went down in the box after a challenge.

The game was swinging from end to end with Peterhead looking for what would no doubt ultimately prove to be the decisive second goal while City were fighting really hard to grab a deserved equaliser.

In the 77th minute, Blue Toon substitute Shane Sutherland sent a shot from the edge of the box just last the post and City responded a couple of minutes later when Willie Dyer played a good one-two with Shields before firing a drive well over the bar.

However, City at last got the breakthrough their play deserve when they notched the equaliser with ten minutes remaining after great work from Layne.

The on-loan Alloa striker collected a pass in the Peterehad box and then pushed forward before laying a perfect ball on for substitute ROBERT THOMSON who wasted no time in blasting an unstoppable shot past Smith.

The Blue Toon then upped the pace in search of the winning goal with keeper Smith bringing off a couple of great saves in quick succession in the dying minutes from Brown and Kevin Dzierzawski to ensure his team went away with a deserved share of the points.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Ayr United 1 Dunfermline Athletic 2

Pars Increase Lead At Top After Great Win At Ayr

Forfar Athletic 0 Cowdenbeath 1

Blue Brazil Too Strong For Loons

Stenhousemuir 0 Albion Rovers 1

One Goal Enough For Rovers

Stranraer 1 Airdrieonians 3

Diamonds Too Good For Blues


12 December 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 403
Robert Thomson 80
Leighton McIntosh 7

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 Gary Fusco
6 James Dale
7 David Weatherston
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Isaac Layne
11 Dene Shields
12 Robert Thomson
14 Jonathan Tiffoney
15 Jamie Montgomery
16 Craig Johnston
17 Darren Dods
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Jonathan Tiffoney
    Off: Gary Fusco ( 73 )
  • On: Robert Thomson
    Off: David Weatherston ( 76 )


1 Graeme Smith
2 Nathan Blockley
3 Steven Noble
5 Ally Gilchrist
6 Ryan Strachan
8 Jamie Redman
14 Kevin Dzierzawski
18 Jordon Brown
9 Rory McAllister
22 Simon Ferry
15 Leighton McIntosh
7 Jamie Stevenson
10 Shane Sutherland
20 Andy Rogers
11 Scott Ross
17 Scott Ferries
30 Cammy Kerr
21 Paul Jarvie


  • On: Scott Ross
    Off: Ally Gilchrist ( 28 )
  • On: Shane Sutherland
    Off: Leighton McIntosh ( 72 )
  • On: Jamie Stevenson
    Off: Simon Ferry ( 74 )