Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Airdrieonians 3 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Airdrieonians 3 Brechin City 1

Brechin City went tumbling out of the Scottish Cup at the first time of asking after going down to a 3-1 defeat against Airdrieonians at Excelsior Stadium.

The Diamonds scored the opener after only five minutes when Taylor Morgan blasted the ball into the net from close-range but City fought back and levelled the match seven minutes later when Andy Jackson rose above the home defence to head the ball past Neil Parry in the Diamonds goal.

However, the home side restored their advantage in the 24th minute when the City defence failed to properly clear their lines with Morgan again on the spot to to slot the ball into the net and Gary Bollan's men wrapped up victory in the 69th minute when Bryan Prunty took advantage of a Morgan pass to steer the ball past Graeme Smith.

The disappointment of this defeat was exacerbated with central defender Ross Perry being stretchered off in the 33rd minute after catching his studs in the artificial surface with fears that the young defender could be side-lined for a lengthy period.

City boss Darren Dods made a couple of changes to the side that lost to Stenhousemuir the previous Saturday.

Darren McCormack came back into the side in a defensive role replacing David Bates who'd been recalled by parent club Raith Rovers while James Dale who played well when he came on as a substitute against the Warriors came in for Gary Fusco who dropped to the bench.

City started the game well and Ross Perry played a good pass to Isaac Layne within the first minute but unfortunately the on-loan Alloa striker was offside.

However, City were shocked four minutes later when the Diamonds scored the opening goal in extremely fortunate circumstances.

Jamie Bain made ground on the right and crossed into the City box and as McCormack tried to clear he unfortunately slipped with the ball rolling into the path of TAYLOR MORGAN who couldn't believe his luck as he blasted the ball past Graeme Smith.

City hit straight back and they levelled the game seven minutes later. The visitors won a free-kick wide on the right and Willie Dyer delivered a pin-point cross into the home penalty area for ANDY JACKSON who glanced a great header past Neil Parry in the Diamonds goal.

Airdrie came straight back and a Liam Watt 20 yard drive was diverted for a corner and from the resultant kick the ball fell kindly for Nicky Cadden who forced his way forward before unleashing a tremendous drive which was only inches last the target.

Play then swung to the other end and Jonathan Tiffoney sent a long lass across the 18 yard line to Dyer whose fierce drive was blocked by Parry.

Watt threatened again for the hosts a couple of minutes later when his shot from 15 yards was just past the post but the Diamonds restored their advantage with a second goal in the 24th minute.

Cadden picked up the ball wide on the left and outpaced Paul McLean before delivering a cross into the City box. Smith appeared to have the ball covered but it was headed out of his hands by McCormack with the ball rolling into the path of MORGAN who had time and space to pick his spot in the net.

City were then dealt a severe blow ten minutes later when Perry's studs caught in the artificial surface as he was going up for a challenge. The young centre-back was clearly in agony as he was stretchered off the park with Gary Fusco taking his place in central defence.

City had the first chance of the second-half when a Dale shot from 20 yards was wide of the target but Airdrie came much closer nine minutes later when Cadden picked up the ball on the left and crossed into the box for Bryan Prunty whose header came back off the bar before being cleared by the City defence.

Layne then had a half-chance for the visitors in the 62nd minute when he neatly turned at the edge of the Airdrie box before drilling in a shot which was just over the bar and a good City move eight minutes later saw Dyer make ground on the left before crossing into the box for Jackson whose header was blocked by Parry.

However, the match was finished as a contest a couple of minutes later when the Diamonds scored the decisive third goal.

Morgan picked up the ball in midfield and played a good lass forward to PRUNTY who pushed forward into the City box before slotting the ball past Smith.


27 November 2015
Penny Cars Stadium
Attendance: 532
Taylor Morgan 5
Taylor Morgan 25
Bryan Prunty 70
Andy Jackson 13

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 Ross Perry
6 Darren Dods
7 Jonathan Tiffoney
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Isaac Layne
11 James Dale
12 Robert Thomson
14 Jamie Montgomery
15 Gary Fusco
16 David Weatherston
17 Euan Smith
18 Craig Johnston
19 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Gary Fusco
    Off: Ross Perry ( 38 )
  • On: Robert Thomson
    Off: James Dale ( 69 )
  • On: Euan Smith
    Off: Jonathan Tiffoney ( 82 )


1 Neil Parry
2 Jamie Bain
3 David Van Zanten
4 Marc Fitzpatrick
5 Sean Crighton
6 Alan Lithgow
7 David Cox
8 Liam Watt
9 Bryan Prunty
10 Taylor Morgan
11 Nicky Cadden
12 Scott Stewart
14 George Hunter
15 Jordan Morton
16 Kevin McBride
17 Rohan Ferguson (GK)
18 Adam Brown
19 Jim Lister


  • On: George Hunter
    Off: Taylor Morgan ( 82 )
  • On: Adam Brown
    Off: Bryan Prunty ( 89 )