Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Cowdenbeath 0

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City narrowed the gap at the bottom of the Ladbrokes League One table to just one point after a deserved, and in the end, comfortable victory over Cowdenbeath who now drop down to ninth place in the table.

Both of City's goals came in a second-half which they completely dominated with youngster David Bates grabbing the opener four minutes after the break and midfielder Jonathan Tiffoney adding a second goal fourteen minutes later.

City then created and missed a number of good opportunities before the Fifers were awarded a penalty seven minutes from time after City substitute Craig Johnstone was adjudged to have impeded Cowden striker Robbie Buchanan in the box, but Graeme Smith brought off a wonderful save, diving to his right to palm Buchanan's spot-kick away. That save certainly ensured that City would go on to bag all three points with the visitors being reduced to ten men just a minute later when full-back Dean Brett was ordered off by referee Gavin Ross for a second bookable offence.

City started the game with the same team that had defeated Peterhead at Balmoor Stadium a week ago with places on the bench for the injured trio of Darren McCormack, Ross Perry and David Weatherston who had missed the match against the Blue Toon because of injury.

The early chances came the Fifers way with Greig Spence drilling in a shot after six minutes which was parried by Smith before being cleared away by the City defence and a minute later a Sam Orritt 25 yard drive went narrowly over the bar.

City were pushing forward but were finding it difficult to create anything clear-cut in front of goal with their two best chances of the half falling in the latter stages when a Robert Thomson close-range flick was smothered at the near post by Cowden keeper Jamie Sneddon with player-boss Darren Dods firing a drive against the crossbar four minutes later after his initial header had been blocked.

City came out for the second-half determined to gain the initiative and they grabbed the opening goal within four minutes of the half beginning.

Andy Jackson collected a pass within the Fifers penalty-box and did really well to shield the ball before slipping a pass to defender DAVID BATES who forced the ball over the line to score his first goal for the club.

The hosts kept up the pressure and they almost doubled their lead three minutes later when Robert Thomson broke clear on the right and fired in a shot which was parried by Sneddon into the path of Dene Shields who had his shot blocked by the Cowden defence.

City were piling on the pressure and they again were unlucky not to score just on the hour mark when a first-time Jackson drive after great build-up play was blocked by Sneddon.

A goal just had to come, and it arrived three minutes later. Thomson picked up a short pass from Jackson and then released JONATHAN TIFFONEY wide on the right with the former Alloa midfielder pushing forward into the visitors penalty-box before slotting the ball home with Cowdenbeath defender Pat Scullion's valiant attempts to clear in vain.

City were turning the screw on their opponents now in search of a clinching third goal and Shields sent a shot just wide of the target a couple of minutes later.

City kept up the pressure and they were desperately unlucky in the 71st minute when they broke quickly from defence into attack with Tiffoney delivering a great cross into the box for Thomson who saw his header come crashing back off the bar.

Another quick City break eight minutes later almost brought a third goal when substitute Craig Johnstone released Jackson on the left and he then crossed into the box for Shields who was again unlucky to see his shot blocked.

The City substitute appeared to be harshly done by in the 83rd minute though when he was adjudged to have impeded Blue Brazil striker Robbie Buchanan in the box, but justice was done when Smith brought off a miraculous save, diving to his left to palm Buchanan's spot-kick away.

The City sub was in the thick of the action again just a minute later when he was brought down on the left touch line by visitors full-back Dean Brett who was then automatically red-carded by referee Gavin Ross having previously been booked.

City pushed forward again and they again passed up a great chance when Shields made ground on the right before crossing deep into the box for Johnstone who headed over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

Craig was determined to make an impact on the match and he was unlucky in the final minute when he collected another good pass from Shields before cutting into the box and firing in a shot which was held by Sneddon.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Albion Rovers 2 Stenhousemuir 0

Albion Too Strong For Warriors

Ayr United 1 Peterhead 1

Good Point For Blue Toon At Ayr

Dunfermline Athletic 1 Airdrieonians 1

Pars And Diamonds Share The Spoils

Forfar Athletic 1 Stranraer 2

Blues Shock Loons At Station Park


26 September 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 408
David Bates 49
Jonathan Tiffoney 63

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren Dods
5 David Bates
6 Gary Fusco
7 Jonathan Tiffoney
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 Dene Shields
12 Craig Johnston
14 Darren McCormack
15 David Weatherston
16 Euan Smith
17 Ross Perry
18 Jamie Montgomery
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Euan Smith
    Off: Craig Molloy ( 55 )
  • On: Darren McCormack
    Off: Jonathan Tiffoney ( 72 )
  • On: Craig Johnston
    Off: Robert Thomson ( 74 )


1 Jamie Sneddon
2 Dean Brett
3 Kenny Adamson
4 Pat Scullion
5 Allen El Zubaidi
6 Declan Hughes
7 Gordon Smith
8 Kyle Miller
9 Greig Spence
10 Robbie Buchanan
11 Sam Orritt
12 John Armstrong
14 Liam Callachan
15 Craig Johnstone
16 Chris Kane
17 Shaun Hunter (GK)
18 Luke Armstrong
19 Mo Yakub


  • On: Luke Armstrong
    Off: Greig Spence ( 51 )
  • On: Craig Johnstone
    Off: Kyle Miller ( 57 )
  • On: Liam Callachan
    Off: Sam Orritt ( 68 )