Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Peterhead 2 Brechin City 3

Match Report - By John Hoey

Peterhead 2 Brechin City 3

Brechin City achieved that long awaited first win after a 3-2 victory over Peterhead at Balmoor Stadium.

The players were absolutely jubilant at the end of the ninety minutes as their long run without a victory came to an end and they certainly had every right to celebrate after a gritty and determined performance brought a well merited three points.

Robert Thomson set his side on the road to victory after just ten minutes with Shane Sutherland equalising for the Blue Toon in the 25th minute. Dene Shields then fired home a cracking goal five minutes later to regain the advantage for the visitors but the Blue Toon hit back once more with Rory McAllister tapping in the equaliser seven minutes before half-time. City had to withstand a fair degree of home pressure after the break but they nevertheless created the better chances and the players got just reward for their efforts seven minutes from time when Thomson took full advantage of slack defensive play to slot the ball home for City's first points of the season.

City made three changes from the side that lost to Forfar Athletic last Saturday with player-boss Darren Dods, defender Paul McLean and midfielder Dene Shields coming in for Darren McCormack, James Dale and David Weatherston.

Peterhead manager Jim McInally included former City striker Rory McAllister in his opening line-up with another former City player Jamie Redman on the bench.

City lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Smith in goal and a back-four of McLean, Bates, Dods and Dyer with Tiffoney and Thomson in the wide midfield positions and Fusco and Molloy in the middle. Jackson and Shields were up front.

The first opportunity of the match came Peterhead's way after seven minutes when Nicky Riley tried a shot from the edge of the box but Graeme Smith in the City goal gathered easily.

City were playing with a confidence in those opening stages that belied their basement position and they scored the opener three minutes later.

New home signing Simon Ferry lost possession wide on the right to Dene Shields who pushed forward into the penalty-box before firing in a shot which was palmed away by Graeme Smith but unfortunately for him, only as far as Robert THOMSON who kept his composure to slot the ball into the net.

Further hesitancy in the home defence a couple of minutes later almost brought another City goal when Jonathan Tiffoney picked up a loose defensive clearance at the left edge of the box and crossed along the 18 yard line for Shields who quickly turned to drill in a shot which was blocked by Smith.

City came close again a couple of minutes later when they won a corner on the left with Willie Dyer delivering a good cross into the box for David Bates who bulleted a header just over the bar.

The visitors were undoubtedly on top at this stage of the match and skipper Craig Molloy was unfortunate to see his close-range shot after nineteen minutes blocked by Smith. However, City were caught with a classic sucker punch six minutes later when a long pass from Scott Ross found Shane SUTHERLAND with time and space to blast a great drive last Smith.

City hit straight back and they restored their advantage five minutes later with a superb goal. Dyer made ground on the left and delivered a great pass to Dene SHIELDS who shook off the challenges of the home defence to unleash a great shot which sailed into the Blue Toon net with Smith helpless.

It should have been 3-1 for City a couple of minutes later when Paul McLean did really well to push forward down the right before squaring the ball across the face of the penalty-box for Thomson who looked set to score, but unfortunately his shot was blocked by Smith.

City were definitely creating good opportunities but they were caught out again when Peterhead equalised for the second time. Riley won a tackle on the left and made ground before sending a good cross into the box. Dyer attempted to clear but could only push the ball out as far as Rory MCALLISTER who simply had to tap the ball across the line.

City hit back yet again and they missed a glorious opportunity two minutes later when Shields crossed into the box for Andy Jackson who headed the ball back to Molloy who had the goal at his mercy but 'Tiger' fired the ball a couple of inches wide of the target.

The last chance of the half came Peterhead's way a couple of minutes later when Riley drilled in a shot which was parried for a corner by Smith.

City started the second-half well and within the first minute, Ross had to look sharp to hook away a dangerous McLean cross.

Peterhead threatened in the 56th minute though when Ferry played in Cammy Kerr who delivered a good cross to the far side of the box for McAllister who lobbed the ball over the bar and five minutes later, a Steven Noble drive was also well over.

City then replaced the tiring Shields with Craig Johnstone before McAllister drilled another shot well over the bar.

City then made their second substitution of the match in the 69th minute with Euan Smith replacing Jonathan Tiffoney.

Although City were conceding a lot of possession to the hosts, they were still managing to create good chances and Thomson was unlucky again in the 71st minute when he expertly dummies Ally Christie and forced his way into the home penalty-box but Smith was quickly off his line to block the shot and avert the danger.

Peterhead then hit back with Graeme Smith in the City goal looking to have been impeded as he went up for a cross from Ryan Strachan but he recovered to make a great block from Riley and he was in action again seconds later when he did well to parry away a 25 yard effort from Strachan.

In the 78th minute Johnstone did well to release Smith who hit his shot wide of the target and a minute later at the other end, a McAllister drive was deflected for a corner.

City though we're withstanding the pressure and they grabbed what proved to be the winning goal five minute later. There appeared to be little danger as Noble attempted to clear his lines well inside his own box but he directed his header straight to THOMSON who could hardly be,I've his good fortune as he tucked the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Tempers then frayed as the home side attempted to take something from the match with Ross being dismissed by referee Ryan Milne after elbowing City keeper Smith.

Peterhead then pushed forward again with a Sutherland shot being deflected for a corner, but City were comfortably seeing off the pressure and they kept their nerve to hold on for a deserved victory and their first league points of the season.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Airdrieonians 1 Ayr United 2

Honest Men Stay Top After Win At Airdrie

Cowdenbeath 2 Forfar Athletic 1

Blue Brazil Knock Loons Off Top Spot

Stenhousemuir 0 Dunfermline Athletic 5

Pars Go Nap At Ochilview

Stranraer 0 Albion Rovers 1

One Goal Enough For Rovers


19 September 2015
Balmoor Stadium
Attendance: 544
Shane Sutherland 25
Rory McAllister 38
Robert Thomson 10
Dene Shields 30
Robert Thomson 83

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Paul McLean
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren Dods
5 David Bates
6 Gary Fusco
7 Jonathan Tiffoney
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 Dene Shields
12 Craig Johnston
14 Jamie Montgomery
15 Euan Smith
16 James Dale
17 Kevin Buchan
18 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Craig Johnston
    Off: Dene Shields ( 66 )
  • On: Euan Smith
    Off: Jonathan Tiffoney ( 69 )


1 Graeme Smith
30 Cammy Kerr
3 Steven Noble
5 Ally Gilchrist
6 Ryan Strachan
7 Jamie Stevenson
22 Simon Ferry
9 Rory McAllister
10 Shane Sutherland
11 Nicky Riley
4 Scott Ross
21 Paul Jarvie
15 Leighton McIntosh
17 Scott Ferries
20 Andy Rodgers
8 Jamie Redman
2 Nathan Blockley
14 Kevin Dzierzawskiy


  • On: Andy Rodgers
    Off: Nicky Riley ( 75 )
  • On: Jamie Redman
    Off: Simon Ferry ( 80 )
  • On: Kevin Dzierzawskiy
    Off: Jamie Stevenson ( 84 )