Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 0 Forfar Athletic 2

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City remain rooted to the bottom of the Ladbrokes League One table after going down to a 2-0 defeat from Forfar Athletic at Glebe Park.

City have now lost all six of their opening league matches whilst the Loons move back to the top of the table after Dunfermline's home defeat against Ayr.

It all could, and should have been so different after the hosts dominated the first-half playing some excellent football but they just could not make their superiority in that opening 45 minutes count and they were made to pay the price ten minutes before half-time when Derek Young bulleted a header past Graeme Smith.

Any hopes City had of making a comeback were dealt a hammer blow within a minute of the second-half commencing when a shot from Loons sub Andrew Black struck team-mate Omar Kader to enter the City net.

The manner of that goal perfectly summed up City's run of bad fortune at the present time and although they stuck manfully to their task thereafter, the visitors with a two-goal advantage behind them never looked like being in any difficulty as the game progressed towards its close.

City boss Darren Dods handed a debut to youngster David Bates who signed for the club yesterday from Raith Rovers on an emergency 90 day transfer with the manager stepping down to the bench alongside Paul McLean who made a welcome return to the squad after being out for the last few weeks.

City started the game brightly and they threatened the Forfar goal after just three minutes when a Willie Dyer free-kick was headed just wide by Darren McCormack and in those early stages, the hosts certainly had the majority of pressure and possession without creating anything really clear-cut in front of goal.

They did come close to opening the scoring just after the half-hour when Craig Molloy was fouled by Martyn Fotheringham 20 yards from goal. 'Tiger' himself stepped up to take the kick and flighted a good ball into the Loons box for Andy Jackson whose header was held by Scott Gallacher.

City continued to press but they were caught with a classic sucker punch ten minutes before the interval when Forfar opened the scoring with their first real attack of the match.

Fotheringham picked up the ball wide on the right and forced his way past three City defenders before delivering a great cross into the box for Derek Young who directed a good header well beyond the reach of Graeme Smith in the City goal.

Despite being a goal behind at the interval, City could take a lot of credit from the way they had performed and the City supporters definitely felt that their team could force their way back into the match in the second-half.

However, within a minute of that second period commencing, the home side found themselves two goals down. The home defence failed to clear an Iain Campbell corner and when Loons sub Andrew Black fired the ball goalwards it struck the leg of Loons midfielder Omar Kader with Smith helpless.

With a two goal advantage, the Loons now assumed control of the match and Smith did well to hold a 20 yard shot from Young. However, City were showing a lot of determination to try and get themselves back into the match and they were very unlucky in the 68th minute when Jackson headed another pin-point Dyer free-kick goalwards only to see Gallacher palm the ball against the bar with Robert Thomson blasting the rebound well over.

The last chance of the match came the visitors way however with two minutes remaining when Lewis Allan created space for himself on the right before crossing into the box for Danny Denholm whose first-time volley struck the base of the post before being cleared.

Other Results - Ladbrokes League One

Albion Rovers 1 Airdrieonians 3

Diamonds Too Good For Rovers

Cowdenbeath 2 Peterhead 2

Even Stevens At Central Park

Dunfermline Athletic 0 Ayr United 2

Honest Men Knock Pars Off Pole Position

Stenhousemuir 1 Stranraer 0

One Goal Enough For Warriors


12 September 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 602
Derek Young 35
Omar Kader 46

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Jonathan Tiffoney
3 Willie Dyer
4 Darren McCormack
5 David Bates
6 Gary Fusco
7 David Weatherston
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 Robert Thomson
11 James Dale
12 Craig Johnston
14 Jamie Montgomery
15 Euan Smith
16 Kevin Buchan
17 Paul McLean
18 Darren Dods
19 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Craig Johnston
    Off: James Dale ( 58 )
  • On: Paul McLean
    Off: David Weatherston ( 74 )
  • On: Kevin Buchan
    Off: Jonathan Tiffoney ( 83 )

Forfar Athletic

1 Scott Gallacher
2 Michael Travis
3 Iain Campbell
4 Kevin Nicoll
5 Thomas O'Brien
6 Derek Young
7 Omar Kader
8 Bryan Hodge
9 Lewis Allan
10 Martyn Fotheringham
11 Danny Denholm
12 Chris Templeman
14 Gavin Swankie
15 Kerr Hay
16 Andrew Black
17 Michael Dunlop
18 Craig Smith
19 Jason King


  • On: Andrew Black
    Off: Martyn Fotheringham ( 45 )
  • On: Kerr Hay
    Off: Derek Young ( 58 )
  • On: Chris Templeman
    Off: Omar Kader ( 74 )