Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 0 Peterhead 3

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City 0 Peterhead 3

Brechin City went down to a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Peterhead in the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup at Glebe Park.

The Blue Toon had the edge in terms of possession and chances in a goal-less first-half with City keeper Graeme Smith coming to his side's rescue on a number of occasions, but the visitors dominated proceedings after the break, grabbing the opening goal in the 56th minute with a drive from Jordon Brown and the same player made it 2-0 five minutes later when he was on hand to poke a Rory McAllister cross past Smith and it was McAllister who wrapped up victory for the Blue Toon in the 74th minute when he kept his composure to blast a wonderful right-foot drive into the net.

City made one change from the team that had deservedly beaten Dundee last Saturday with skipper Craig Molloy replacing Gary Fusco in central midfield. Jonathan Tiffoney and Ross Perry who both signed for the club yesterday were on the bench.

There was plenty of action in the opening minutes with both sides pressing hard to try and find the opening goal.

With barely a minute on the clock a Dene Shields cross from the right was just beyond Andy Jackson with the visitors responding immediately when Rory McAllister forced his way into the City box, but Smith was quickly off his line to avert the danger.

In the 4th minute, a loose ball fell kindly for James Dale at the edge of the Peterhead box but he blasted the ball just inches over the bar. The former Forfar midfielder was in action again just seconds later when he played a good ball forward to Jackson who was crowded out by the visitors defence with player-boss Dods firing the rebound well over.

Peterhead then came tantalisingly close to opening the scoring just a minute later when Smith did really well to palm away a McAllister drive and the keeper was in the thick of the action again seconds later when he blocked a Nicky Riley effort with his feet before smothering the rebound.

Play then swung to the other end and Molloy did really well to win the ball in the middle of the park before releasing Jackson whose shot was palmed away by Blue Toon keeper Graeme Smith just beyond Shields who was ready to pounce on any slip-up.

In the 27th minute, player-boss Dods was the first man to go into referee Colin Steven's book after the ref indicated that he had deliberately elbowed Riley and from the resultant free-kick, Smith brought off another great save to deny McAllister. It was Smith again to City's rescue eight minutes later when he brought off a wonderful save from another Blue Toon free-kick, this time from Jamie Stevenson with the keeper again performing heroics with four minutes of the half remaining when he dived to thwart McAllister who looked blatantly offside.

However, the last opportunity of the opening 45 minutes went City's way on the stroke of half-time when full-back Kevin Buchan pushed forward on the right and released Shields who deftly beat his man before sending over an inch perfect cross for Jackson whose header was tipped over the bar by Smith.

Peterhead immediately put pressure on the City goal after the break and Paul McLean had to look sharp within a minute of the half beginning when he headed a dangerous cross from Riley behind for a corner. City hit back with a good move which ended with Dale playing in Jackson who blasted the ball home but unfortunately for City, the stand side linesman had his flag up for offside.

However, the deadlock was broken just seconds later when the visitors took the lead with the opening goal when JORDON BROWN collected a pass from defence and took a couple of steps before lashing the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

City tried to come straight back and McLean was unluckily when he picked up the ball wide on the left and cut in before sending a right-foot drive wide of the target.

Robert Thomson was next to have a go for City three minutes later when he broke clear on the right but he was unable to get any power on his shot and Smith saved easily.

Molloy then lost possession to McAllister deep inside the City half who took a couple of steps before firing wide. However, the former City favourite made amends three minutes later when he had a hand in his side's decisive second goal. Picking up the ball wide on the right, he delivered a good cross into the City box which the home defence appeared to have covered, but the ball broke to BROWN who was on the spot to prod it past Smith.

Both sides then made substitutions with Craig Johnston replacing Molloy and Nathan Blockley coming on for Stevenson and both subs had been on the park for barely four minutes before the Blue Toon wrapped up victory with a third goal when Riley played a good pass into the City box for McALLISTER who kept his composure before blasting a great right-foot shot past Smith.

Peterhead boss Jim McInally then made two substitutions in quick succession with Leighton McIntosh replacing Shane Sutherland and Scott Ferries coming on for Riley.

Despite being three goals down City tried to push forward and with eleven minutes left Shields broke on the right and fired in a shot which was easily held by Smith.

The last chance of the game though came Peterhead's way with six minutes remaining when Kevin Dzierawski sent a long-range effort just past Smith's right-hand post.


25 July 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 336
Jordan Brown 56
Jordan Brown 67
Rory McAllister 74

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Kevin Buchan
3 Paul McLean
4 Darren McCormack
5 Darren Dods
6 Craig Molloy
7 Robert Thomson
8 Euan Smith
9 Andy Jackson
10 James Dale
11 Dene Shields
12 Craig Johnston
14 Jonathan Tiffoney
15 Jamie Montgomery
16 Ross Perry
17 Trialist Trialist
21 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Craig Johnston
    Off: Craig Molloy ( 70 )


1 Graeme Smith
2 Ryan Strachan
3 Steven Noble
4 Scott Ross
5 Ally Gilchrist
6 Kevin Dzierzawski
7 Jamie Stevenson
8 Jordan Brown
9 Rory McAllister
10 Shane Sutherland
11 Nicky Riley
12 Nathan Blockley
14 Leighton McIntosh
15 Scott Ferries
16 Scott Adams
17 Ryan Baptie
18 Mark Lawrence
21 Paul Jarvie


  • On: Nathan Blockley
    Off: Jamie Stevenson ( 70 )
  • On: Leighton McIntosh
    Off: Shane Sutherland ( 75 )
  • On: Scott Ferries
    Off: Nicky Riley ( 78 )