Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 5 Formartine United 3

Match Report - By Grant Hood

The new Brechin City management duo of Darren Dods and Lee Bailey continued to learn about their playing squad as City overturned a 3-1 deficit to run out 5-3 winners against Highland League side Formartine Utd in an entertaining pre-season friendly at Glebe Park.

In the first ever clash between the 2 clubs, the visitors provided a stern test – particularly in the first half – with an impressive display which combined a high intensity pressing game with some strong physical challenges.

City’s starting XI saw a combination of 5 from last season’s squad alongside 5 new signings. There was another start for the midfield trialist No 8 who had impressed in the previous friendly against Deveronvale, and there were 4 trialists named amongst the 7 substitutes.

Formartine United dominated the early possession, and City initially struggled to retain possession and create any goal threat of note.

The City faithful had a scare in the 35th minute when striker Andy Jackson was substituted due to a facial injury sustained as a result of contact with the flailing arm of a United defender. This was subsequently confirmed as an eye injury, and happily, it’s unlikely to hamper ‘Jacko’s’ preparation for the coming season.

The visitors took a deserved lead in the 39th minute when Neil Gauld spectacularly volleyed a high dropping ball past “Buzz” in the home goal from around the edge of the penalty box. After a customary flurry of half-time substitutions, United extended their lead through a composed finish from Neil McVitie after some slack defensive play in the home rearguard.

There were 69 minutes on the clock before City got on the scoresheet, when Robert Thomson headed home a driven free-kick in trademark style. Less than a moment later Cammy Keith restored the visitors’ lead with a cute finish after a defensive ricochet fell kindly for him.

Despite this setback City were beginning to dominate and regular forays towards The Cemetery End were becoming increasingly menacing.

On 77 minutes, striker Dene Shields pulled a goal back with a low drilled shot, and shortly after Darren McCormack blasted home to equalise after a City header had hit the post. Both of these goals were their respective firsts in City colours.

With 5 minutes remaining, Robert Thomson shot home after strong hold-up play by the impressive Dene Shields, and Paul McLean scored with a low drive in the last meaningful action of the match.

Next up for the Brechin City is a clash with an SPFL top-6 side, as Glebe Park is the venue for a visit from Paul Hartley’s Dundee this coming Saturday.

With 9 goals scored in 2 games, encouraging signs exist for City, as messrs Dods and Bailey look to further develop the squad in advance of the competitive fixtures.


14 July 2015
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 172
Robert Thomson 69
Dene Shields 76
Darren McCormack 81
Robert Thomson 86
Paul McLean 89
Neil Gauld 39
Neil McVitie 55
Cameron Keith 70

Brechin City

1 Graeme Smith
2 Kevin Buchan
3 Paul McLean
4 Darren McCormack
5 Darren Dods
6 Gary Fusco
7 Craig Johnston
8 Trialist Trialist
9 Andy Jackson
10 James Dale
11 Dene Shields
12 Robert Thomson
14 Trialist Trialist
15 Jamie Montgomery
16 Trialist Trialist
17 Trialist Trialist
18 Trialist Trialist
19 Patrick O'Neil


  • On: Robert Thomson
    Off: Andy Jackson ( 35 )
  • On: Trialist Trialist
    Off: Darren Dods ( 45 )
  • On: Trialist Trialist
    Off: Craig Johnston ( 45 )

Formartine United

1 Andrew Reid
2 Jamie Michie
3 Stuart Smith
4 Craig McKeown
5 Jonny Crawford
6 Stuart Anderson
7 Neil McVitie
8 Graham Rodgers
9 Garry Wood
10 Neil Gauld
11 Scott Barbour
12 Steven Jeffrey
14 Cameron Keith
15 Calum Dingwall
16 Samuel French
17 Stuart Axton
18 Kieran Lawrence
21 Philip Anderson


  • On: Stuart Axton
    Off: Jamie Michie ( 45 )
  • On: Calum Dingwall
    Off: Neil McVitie ( 57 )
  • On: Cameron Keith
    Off: Neil Gauld ( 57 )