Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Stranraer 3

Match Report - By Steven Mew

Brechin welcomed Stranraer to Glebe Park yesterday, who made the step up to Division One alongside City, as they edged out Morton to the second promotion spot. It may only be late September in Division One, but this fixture had that feeling of importance about it. A first league win of the season wouldn’t just please the manager, players and supporters alike, but it would also edge City out of the danger zone. However…a defeat would do the exact opposite.

Stranraer have started the season reasonably well under the management of Neil Watt and Stuart Millar. The Blue’s had a dream start to the campaign when they beat Airdrie Utd 1-0 at Stair Park, and then went on to record a goalless draw at Love Street against St Mirren. However, a couple of defeats has seen the Blue’s drop down to 8th in the table, just above Brechin. City fans were hoping that Stranraer’s CIS Cup defeat at home to Aberdeen on Tuesday night would have taken its toll on the small pool of players at Stair Park. Stranraer strengthened the squad greatly over the summer with Barry John Corr, Alan Morrison, Craig Higgins, Alex Keddie, David Hamilton, Ian Ross, Leigh Hinds, Paul Walker and Scott McLean being the new arrivals in the summer. The Blues have also signed Dene Shields, formerly of Brechin, on loan from Gretna to bolster their attacking options.

City started with a back four of Paul Deas, Scott Walker, David White and one that may have surprised City fans, Kevin Byers at right back. Ally Mitchell, Charlie King, Craig Winter and Stuart Callaghan all started in midfield while Steven Hampshire and new-boy Gerry Britton posed a threat upfront.

The game was only a couple of minutes old when Brechin opened the scoring. An excellent through-ball by Scott Walker gave Charlie King a chance in front of goal, his shot was parried by Barry John Corr, before making point blank stops from Britton and Hampshire, but the ball fell for Kevin Byers who made no mistake, rifling the ball into the net from close range.

However, the visiting side then went on to dominate the proceedings, and got a deserved equaliser ten minutes later. A Lee Sharp corner from the right saw centre back Murray Henderson rise above the City defence to power a header into the net. Barely 60 seconds later an almost identical goal gave Stranraer the lead. Once again a corner from the right by Lee Sharp was nodded towards goal by Murray Henderson, and although Nelson got his hand to the ball, was unable to keep it out of the net. This will be a game Henderson will remember for a long time, it’s not often a centre back scores two goals in the space of two minutes, from two corner’s from the same side taken by the same player!

Stranraer were really starting to stretch the City defence and somehow got a third goal five minutes later. Michael Moore held the ball up well and teed up captain Allan Jenkins, whose tame right foot shot somehow went into the far corner to give the Blues a two goal lead.

The Blues really should have gone in at the break three goals ahead. A long ball from the back was completely misjudged by the Brechin defence which allowed Leigh Hinds to run in on goal, and the striker lobbed the oncoming Craig Nelson but the ball just dipped over the bar.

Half time couldn’t come quick enough for Pink, as the team really needed the “hairdryer treatment” at half time after a poor first half showing.

As the first half drew to a close Leigh Hinds came close again, but his shot went wide of the target after a quick free kick teed him up. At the other end Scott Walker came close but his shot went straight into the arms of Barry John Corr after some good work by Charlie King down the left hand side.

The second half saw Brechin push for a goal back and nearly found it just a few minutes after the break when Stuart Callaghan cut in from the right hand side, before striking powerfully past the post. Minutes before the hour mark though, City did get a deserved goal back and it came once again from Kevin Byers. Barry John Corr first of all denied Steven Hampshire but the ball fell to Charlie King who struck the ball from a tight angle which was parried across the face of goal by Corr before Byers was once again in the right position to guide the ball into the net.

At the other end, Stranraer were denied a stonewall penalty when Lee Sharp was brought down in the box, but referee Colin Hardie waved away claims.

City then went on the dominate the rest of game, Gerry Britton’s snap show went over the bar before Alex Burns’s cross from the right hand side nearly curled into the far corner but just went wide. ‘Toastie’ had another decent chance just minutes later but the striker’s shot was screwed wide. Chucky also had a go for goal but his shot also went wide of Corr’s goal.

As the time ticked away Stuart Callaghan came agonisingly close to an equaliser when his powerful effort whistled past the top corner of the net. In the dying seconds Davie White’s shot went straight into the arms of Corr as Stranraer held on for a crucial victory which sees them rise into 7th place behind Airdrie United.

Overall, another poor performance by City and like last week, played poorly in the first half and gave the opposition a run for their money in the second. City fans must be wondering when the first win will arrive as we now have Dundee at home, St Johnstone away and Hamilton away in the next three games!

Other Results - Bell's League Division 1

Airdrie United 0 St Mirren 1

A tight away victory for St Mirren which keeps up the good recent form by the Buddie's.

Clyde 0 St Johnstone 1

Saints win narrowly at Broadwood, despite being reduced to 9 men.

Dundee 0 Ross County 0

Dundee's poor start to the season continues as Ross County gain a point.

Queen of the South 1 Hamilton Academical 2

Queen's still without a win as Hamilton take all three points at Palmerston.


24 September 2005
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 502
Kevin Byers 2
Kevin Byers 56
Murray Henderson 12
Murray Henderson 13
Allan Jenkins 19

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Kevin Byers
3 Paul Deas
4 Ally Mitchell
5 David White
6 Scott Walker
7 Charlie King
8 Craig Winter
9 Gerry Britton
10 Stuart Callaghan
11 Steve Hampshire
12 Darren Smith
14 Paul Ritchie
15 Alex Burns
16 Steve Hamilton
17 John Hillcoat


  • On: Darren Smith
    Off: Ally Mitchell ( 62 )
  • On: Paul Ritchie
    Off: Steve Hampshire ( 68 )
  • On: Alex Burns
    Off: Craig Winter ( 72 )


1 Barry John Corr
2 Stephen Swift
3 Alex Keddie
4 Derek Wingate
5 Murray Henderson
6 Allan Jenkins
7 David Hamilton
8 Stevie Aitken
9 Michael Moore
10 Leigh Hinds
11 Lee Sharp
12 Craig Higgins
14 Colin Marshall
15 Paul Walker
16 Ian Ross
17 Alan Morrison


  • On: Craig Higgins
    Off: Stevie Aitken ( 56 )
  • On: Colin Marshall
    Off: Stephen Swift ( 65 )
  • On: Paul Walker
    Off: Leigh Hinds ( 75 )