Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

St Mirren 1 Brechin City 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

Brechin travelled to Love Street in hope of a first league win, it was never going to be easy as St Mirren are expected to be challenging for the Championship throughout the season. St Mirren had not started the campaign as well as expected, they started off with a 3-2 defeat away from home against Dundee and this was followed up with a disappointing 0-0 draw at home to Stranraer. However, they picked up their first league win of the season at St Johnstone last week-end with the unlikely scorer Kevin McGowne nodding the winner in a 2-1 victory.

Ian Campbell made two changes to the team that drew against Airdrie United last Saturday. Darren Smith took the place of Stuart Callaghan on the left wing, therefore relegating the latter to the bench while Kevin Byers came in for Paul Ritchie. St Mirren’s talented goalkeeper Craig Hinchcliffe was injured in the warm-up so Chris Smith got an unlikely start between the sticks. The Buddie’s team looked very strong on paper, with Kirk Broadfoot and Stewart Kean being the real standouts.

Brechin started brightly and had a couple of early chances. Darren Smith was proving a thorn in the flesh for St Mirren and the talented winger struck a shot wide of the goal after 5 minutes. Ally Mitchell then came close shortly after, his driving run ended up with a tame shot which flew wide of the goal.

St Mirren then turned up the heat. Craig Nelson was called into action for the first time as Kirk Broadfoot headed straight into the arms of ‘Nelly’, before Alan Reid blasted a volley over the bar from a Billy Mehmet cross. Billy Mehmet was causing problems for the Brechin defence on the right hand side and Simon Lappin came close to connecting with Mehmets excellent cross minutes later.

Simon Lappin then crossed into the box after a short corner which was flicked to the back post by Mehmet where Stewart Kean was unmarked, but the strikers cut-back found no black and white shirt in the penalty area and the ball was cleared to safety by the Brechin defence.

The Saints stepped off the pedal a little and let Brechin back into the game for a short period of time. Darren Smith’s mazy run ended with a powerful shot which flew straight into the hands of Chris Smith.

St Mirren came close on the half hour mark when Craig Nelson fumbled an Alan Reid header but Scott Walker was there to clear just as David Van Zanten looked destined to slam in the rebound.

Seven minutes from the break City conceded a penalty. David Van Zanten raced into the penalty area and just as he was about to pull the trigger, Grant Johnson took him down with no contact of the ball so referee Stuart Dougal had no hesitation pointing to the spot. Grant Johnson was yellow carded for the tackle before Stewart Kean stepped up and confidently dispatched the penalty high into the net.

Just minutes before half time, one of Brechin’s most influential players so far this season, Grant Johnson, who given a second yellow and ordered off. The midfielder slid in hard on McGowne and stupidly argued with Stuart Dougal, who had no option but to send him off.

St Mirren then continued to dominate the proceedings. Kirk Broadfoot was denied by Craig Nelson after a clever one-two with Stewart Kean. Craig Nelson was once again called into action as High Murray’s header went straight into the arms of the goalkeeper, before John Potter headed over the bar.

Brechin had a rare chance just minutes later, Steven Hampshire raced onto a long ball before striking the ball straight at Chris Smith.

Ten minutes from time, Brechin somehow had a chance to equalise as Stuart Dougal pointed to the spot after Stuart Callaghan was brought down by Kevin McGowne. Craig McEwan stepped up to take the penalty, and despite having succeeded in the previous 17 he has taken from the spot, blazed the ball well over the bar and into the stand.

Overall, a very disappointing performance from Brechin and there was no doubt St Mirren deserved the three points. It would have been harsh on St Mirren if McEwan had tucked away the penalty but Brechin are surely due a rub of the green after conceding a couple of late goals so far this season.

A much improved performance is needed if we are to overcome Morton in the Bell’s Cup 2nd Round match at Glebe Park on Tuesday night, kick-off is 7:30.

Other Results - Bell's League Division 1

Airdrie United 3 St Johnstone 1

The Diamonds shock the Saintees at New Broomfield.

Clyde 1 Queen of the South 0

Victory for Clyde which leaves Queens languishing at the bottom of the table.

Hamilton Academical 1 Dundee 1

Hamilton gain a point at home to managerless Dundee.

Ross County 2 Stranraer 1

Narrow win for County which sees them go top of the pile.


27 August 2005
Paisley 2021 Stadium
Attendance: 2514
Stewart Kean 39 (Pen)

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Craig McEwan
3 Gary Bollan
4 Ally Mitchell
5 Paul Deas
6 Scott Walker
7 Kevin Byers
8 Grant Johnson
9 Steve Hampshire
10 Alex Burns
11 Darren Smith
12 David White
14 Paul Ritchie
15 Stuart Callaghan
16 Charlie King
17 John Hillcoat


  • On: David White
    Off: Gary Bollan ( 59 )
  • On: Stuart Callaghan
    Off: Kevin Byers ( 71 )
  • On: Paul Ritchie
    Off: Darren Smith ( 75 )

St Mirren

1 Chris Smith
2 David Van Zanten
3 Kirk Broadfoot
4 Andy Millen
5 Kevin McGowne
6 John Potter
7 Hugh Murray
8 Simon Lappin
9 Stewart Kean
10 Billy Mehmet
11 Alan Reid
12 Brian McGinty
14 John Baird
15 Mark Corcoran
16 Ian Maxwell
17 -


  • On: Brian McGinty
    Off: Billy Mehmet ( 64 )
  • On: Mark Corcoran
    Off: Alan Reid ( 76 )