Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Stranraer 2

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City 2 Stranraer 2

Brechin City booked their place in the First Division play-offs after a 2-2 draw against third bottom Stranraer in a highly entertaining match at Glebe Park .
The 2-2 score-line means that City's points total for the season so far, with three games remaining, stands at 55 points, six and seven points ahead respectively of Angus neighbours Arbroath and Forfar who will fight it out along with sixth placed Stenhousemuir for the remaining play-off position.

Second place is also still within the sight of City with Alloa just six points ahead having played one game more but whichever side finishes as runners-up, it won't alter the fact that City and Wasps will now face each other in the semi-finals.

Last night's hard-won point against a side battling for their Second Division survival means that the City players under Ray McKinnon have transformed their season from a side looking to be struggling to avoid the relegation play-offs to a team that responded to the challenges set by the new boss to start climbing the table and winning that coveted play-off position.

Looking back to last night's match though, Brechin started strongly, forcing two corners within the first five minutes, but the Blues weathered the early storm and carved out the first goal-scoring opportunity of the match after 17 minutes when Armand One turned deftly in the penalty-box and fired in a shot which was palmed away by Craig Nelson in the City goal.

The hosts responded immediately and a fierce Andy Jackson right-foot drive from the edge of the box was tipped over the bar by Blues goalie David Mitchell.

City surged forward and had another chance just four minutes later when Alan Trouten played a great pass through to Ryan Ferguson but Mitchell again came to his side's rescue moving quickly off his line to block the midfielder's effort.

City had yet another chance after 34 minutes when skipper Ewan Moyes headed a Ryan Stewart corner just over the bar but the visitors fought back and Nelson did well to palm away a close-range shot from former City defender Mick Dunlop a couple of minutes later and a pile-driver from One three minutes before the break was blocked by Nelson.

The Blues were causing the City defence some problems and they shocked their hosts by scoring the opener a couple of minutes later.

A cross from the left by Sean Winter was deflected into the path of One by Gerry McGlauchlan and the big striker swivelled round in the box before unleashing a great right-foot drive which sailed past Nelson.

The visitors started the second-half strongly and within the first minute Nelson had to look sharp to smother a Craig Malcolm shot and seconds later, Moyes headed a Lloyd Kinnaird drive off the line.

However, City forced themselves back into the game and grabbed the equaliser in the 57th minute.

Johnny Brown made ground on the left and cut the ball back for Jackson who blasted a right-foot screamer well beyond the reach of Mitchell.

City were now forcing the pace and Mitchell brought off a good save to deny Ferguson after 72 minutes.

However, the City pressure paid off with six minutes remaining when a Jackson shot cannoned off the post and Trouten was on hand to nod in the rebound.

The Blues though battled on and they dramatically levelled the match when Malcolm fired home the equaliser from the tightest of angles.

Speaking immediately after the game, City boss Ray McKinnon said,

" I'm absolutely delighted that we're in the play-offs."

"It's a fantastic achievement for the players who have worked so hard since I took over."

" I'm absolutely over the moon for them and we can now take the opportunity to give some of the lads a well-earned rest before we look forward to the play-off games."


23 April 2013
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 401
Andy Jackson 57
Alan Trouten 84
Armand One 44
Craig Malcolm 86

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Paul McLean
3 Jonny Brown
4 Gerry McLauchlan
5 Ewan Moyes
6 Gary Fusco
7 Alan Trouten
8 Johnny Stewart
9 Andy Jackson
10 Ryan Ferguson
11 Ryan Stewart
12 Aaron Murdoch
14 David McKenna
15 Garry Brady
16 Beau Longridge
17 Ben Tough


  • On: David McKenna
    Off: Gary Fusco ( 46 )
  • On: Garry Brady
    Off: Johnny Stewart ( 82 )


1 David Mitchell
2 Lloyd Kinnaird
3 Mark Staunton
4 Frank McKeown
5 Mick Dunlop
6 Chris Aitken
7 Sean Winter
8 Grant Gallagher
9 Armand One
10 Craig Malcolm
11 Robert Love
12 Michael Moore
14 Jamie Campbell
15 Kieran Wood
16 Darren Gribben
17 Russell Caldwell


  • On: Darren Gribben
    Off: Sean Winter ( 66 )
  • On: Michael Moore
    Off: Armand One ( 70 )
  • On: Jamie Campbell
    Off: Robert Love ( 88 )