Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Stenhousemuir 4 Brechin City 0

Match Report - By John Hoey


Brechin City went out at the first round stage of the Scottish Communities League Cup for the second season in succession after a heavy 4-0 defeat from Stenhousemuir at Ochilview.

City were down 1-0 at half-time after they lost the opening goal with just 40 seconds on the clock and three further goals from Stenny in the last quarter of an hour sealed City’s fate.

Manager Jim Weir kept faith with the side that did so well against the Rangers last Sunday.

Michael Andrews kept his place in goal with a back-four of Paul McLean, Ewan Moyes, Gerry McGlauchlan and Johnny Brown. Ryan Stewart and Derek Carcary were in the wide midfield positions with ex Warrior Craig Molloy and Garry Brady in central midfield with Andy Jackson and David McKenna leading the attack.

On the bench for City were Johnny Stewart, Scott Dalziel, Gary Fusco, Aaron Murdoch and Craig Nelson.

The home side included ex City player Bryan Hodge but there was no place for another former City player Scot Buist who was suspended after being ordered off in City’s opening League Cup encounter against Clyde at the beginning of last season.

City were caught cold within 30 seconds of the start of the game when Stenny grabbed the lead.

John Gemmell picked the ball up around 30 yards from goal and fired in a tremendous left-foot drive which flew past the despairing arms of Andrews into the top right-hand corner of the net.

The hosts should have made it two just a minute later when former Forfar defender Greg Ross crossed into the box for Gemmell who glanced a header just wide of the target.

Stenny were well on top at this early stage and a Kevin McKinlay left-foot drive from around 30 yards was gathered by Andrews.

City had an opportunity after eight minutes when they won a free-kick on the left. Derek Carcary sent a good cross into the box but unfortunately there were no takers.

The Warriors hit back and they were unlucky not to double their lead after ten minutes when Sean Dickson was clean through on goal but Andrews was quick off the mark to narrow the angle and Dickson’s shot was deflected for a corner.

In the 17th minute, McKenna picked up a pass from Ryan Stewart in the box and dribbled past a couple of defenders before firing in a drive which was well held by Callum Reidford.

Stenny went back on the offensive and Andy Rodgers was unlucky to see his shot from a Brown Ferguson cross from the right go just past Andrew’s right-hand post.

City hit back and a Johnny Brown cross from the left was flicked on by Jackson into the path of Craig Molloy but his shot was blocked by the Stenny defence.

However, the home side came very close again to doubling their lead a minute from half-time when a good cross from Ross was headed just wide by Rodgers.

City started the second-half on the offensive and a McKenna shot was cleared off the line in the 48th minute and at the other end, seven minutes later, a Brown Ferguson free-kick was palmed away for a corner by Andrews.

Ferguson was clean through on goal just a minute later but a superb last-gasp tackle from Brown averted what seemed to be a certain goal.

In the 58th minute a Molloy header from a McKenna cross was easily held by Reidford and on the hour mark, a Hodge 20 yard drive was gathered by Andrews.

In the 70th minute, a Brown free-kick was well held by Reidford and three minutes later, substitute Johnny Stewart picked up a pass from Jackson and headed straight for goal but he steered the ball well wide of the target.

At this stage of the game, the home side were still in the ascendency but City were still in contention. However this changed dramatically when the Warriors scored three further goals within the last fifteen minutes.

Their second goal came in the 75th minute when a Gemmell pass was volleyed home by substitute Darren Smith and seven minutes later Dickson was clean through but tumbled in the box after a challenge by Gerry McGlauchlan and the resultant penalty was converted by Stewart Kean with McGlauchlan being red carded for his challenge by referee David Somers.

3-0 didn’t really reflect how the game had gone but worse was to follow for City in the last minute when Smith ran clear of the City defence to pick his spot in the net.


4 August 2012
Ochilview Park
Attendance: 282
John Gemmell 1
Darren Smith 75
Stewart Kean 82 (Pen)
Darren Smith 90

Brechin City

1 Michael Andrews
2 Paul McLean
3 Jonny Brown
4 Gerry McLauchlan
5 Ewan Moyes
6 Garry Brady
7 Ryan Stewart
8 Craig Molloy
9 Andy Jackson
10 David McKenna
11 Derek Carcary
12 Johnny Stewart
14 Scott Dalziel
15 Gary Fusco
16 Aaron Murdoch
17 Craig Nelson


  • On: Scott Dalziel
    Off: Derek Carcary ( 51 )
  • On: Johnny Stewart
    Off: Ryan Stewart ( 58 )
  • On: Gary Fusco
    Off: Garry Brady ( 69 )


1 Callum Reidford
2 Greg Ross
3 Kevin McKinlay
4 Ross McMillan
5 Iain Thomson
6 Bryan Hodge
7 Brown Ferguson
8 Andy Rodgers
9 John Gemmell
10 Craig Anderson
11 Sean Dickson
12 Stewart Kean
14 Darren Smith
15 Charles Docherty
16 Ross Brash
17 Dean Shaw


  • On: Darren Smith
    Off: Brown Ferguson ( 58 )
  • On: Stewart Kean
    Off: John Gemmell ( 79 )
  • On: Ross Brash
    Off: Bryan Hodge ( 87 )