Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Cowdenbeath 3 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City suffered their first league defeat of the season, going down by 3-1 against Cowdenbeath at Central Park.

The hosts opened the scoring through Mark Ramsay in the 13th minute but City equalised through Garry Brady eight minutes before the break.

However, two further second-half goals for the Blue Brazil from Marc McKenzie and substitute Jordan Morton wrapped up victory for Colin Cameron’s men.

City manager Jim Weir kept faith with the team that beat Stenhousemuir last Saturday.

The only change came on the bench where youth team striker Michael Potter replaced Jim Lister who was recovering from an operation, undergone earlier on in the week.

The Blue Brazil put the City defence under pressure straight from the kick-off.

In the 4th minute, Ramsay won the ball in midfield, ran forward and fired in a shot which was well wide of the target and a minute later, Craig Nelson did well to save a Lewis Coult shot after the striker had neatly turned Scott Buist.

Ramsay had another go seconds later when he shot from the edge of the box but his effort was again wide of the target.

City had a chance in the 11th minute when a superb pass from David McKenna sent Paul McLean away on the right. The full-back then played a one-two with Craig Molloy but sent his shot into the side net.

The hosts then grabbed the opener with a good goal from Ramsay.

The ball was played wide on the left to Scott Linton who delivered a great cross into the box for Ramsay who expertly got into space to steer the ball into the top corner of the net. Unfortunately, the striker injured himself in the process of scoring and was stretchered off the park to be replaced by former City midfielder Craig Winter.

The Blue Brazil came close to doubling their lead three minutes later when Kenneth Adamson sent a cross into the box for Coult who sent his header just over the bar.

City won a free-kick in the 30th minute but Janczyk shot straight to keeper Youseff Bejaoui who saved easily.

Adamson then tried a shot from 25 yards for Cowden which Nelson tipped over the bar.

The hosts were looking dangerous every time they moved forward but they were shocked to the core in the 37th minute when City scored a great equaliser.

Molloy won the ball in the penalty area and laid it back for Brady who then fired home a beauty which soared past Bejaoui into the top corner of the net.

This goal gave City confidence and they were desperately unlucky not to grab the lead a couple of minutes before the break when McKenna fired a Graham Weir cross against the post.

The first chance of the second-half fell for Cowdenbeath in the 52nd minute when Winter headed a free-kick from player-manager Colin Cameron just over the bar.

City responded immediately and McGlauchan was unlucky to see his header from a Janczyk go just past the post.

City were having slightly the better of proceedings but they fell behind for the second time in the 67th minute.

The ball was played wide to McKenzie at the edge of the Brechin box, and the diminutive winger moved quickly into the box before firing home a great goal into the bottom corner of the net.

Brechin tried to hit back and substitute Derek Carcary who had replaced Paul McManus in the 59th minute pushed forward into the box and crossed for King who just failed to connect properly and Bejaoui had little difficulty in saving.

Carcary had a half-chance three minutes later when he took advantage of a defensive slip and moved into the box, but his shot was well off target.

City were battling for the equaliser but they fell further behind in the 79th minute when Cowden scored a superb third goal.

Substitute Jordan Morton picked up the ball on the left around 30 yards from goal and unleashed a terrific left-foot shot which Nelson was helpless to do anything about, and the same player had another opportunity two minutes from time when another left-foot drive was saved by Nelson.

Other Results - Irn Bru 2nd Division

Albion Rovers 1 Forfar Athletic 0

Albion Overcome Loons

Dumbarton 1 Stirling Albion 5

Stirling Hammer Sons

East Fife 2 Airdrie United 0

Fifers Earn Home Win

Stenhousemuir 2 Arbroath 0

Warriors Beat Red Lichties


13 August 2011
Central Park
Attendance: 308
Mark Ramsay 13
Marc McKenzie 67
Jordan Morton 79
Garry Brady 37

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Paul McLean
3 Mick Dunlop
4 Gerry McLauchlan
5 Scot Buist
6 Neil Janczyk
7 Garry Brady
8 Craig Molloy
9 Paul McManus
10 Graham Weir
11 David McKenna
12 Charlie King
14 David McClune
15 Derek Carcary
16 Michael Potter
17 David Scott


  • On: Derek Carcary
    Off: Paul McManus ( 59 )
  • On: Charlie King
    Off: Graham Weir ( 70 )


1 Youseff Bejaoui
2 Dean Brett
3 Kenneth Adamson
4 Colin Cameron
5 Joe Mbu
6 John Armstrong
7 Marc McKenzie
8 Jon Robertson
9 Mark Ramsay
10 Lewis Coult
11 Scott Linton
12 Lee Makel
14 Greg Stewart
15 Craig Winter
16 Jordan Morton
17 Thomas Flynn


  • On: Craig Winter
    Off: Mark Ramsay ( 16 )
  • On: Jordan Morton
    Off: Joe Mbu ( 46 )
  • On: Lee Makel
    Off: Scott Linton ( 82 )