Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 1 Falkirk 2

Match Report - By John Hoey

City's Ramsden Cup ambitions came to an end after a first-round 2-1 defeat from First Division Falkirk at the Glebe.

Falkirk grabbed the opener in the 26th minute through Rhys Bennett and Daren Dods doubled their lead seven minutes later, but City reduced the deficit five minutes before the break when David McKenna fired home.

City tried hard to get back on level terms after the break, but defences were well on top with goal-scoring opportunities for both sides at a premium.

With Craig Nelson suspended, David Scott took over in goal for City.

Craig Molloy had failed to recover from injury while Neil Janczyk was attending a family wedding.

The Bairns drew first blood in the 26th minute when they scored the opener from Bolton loan defender Bennett.

Mark Millar floated an inch-perfect free-kick into the City box which was headed back across the penalty-area by Dods to Bennett whose close-range header gave City keeper David Scott no chance.

City hit back straight away and a 25 yard Garry Brady drive went inches past.

The visitors though doubled their lead seven minutes later in an almost carbon copy of their opener.

Millar again delivered a pin-point free-kick into the Brechin penalty-box where Dods rose head and shoulders above the City defenders to power a header beyond Scott.

At this stage, the Bairns were well on top and looking to increase their lead but City battled on and they got their reward five minutes before the break with a good goal.

A Paul McLean corner was headed back across the Falkirk penalty-area by centre-back Gerry McGlauchlan into the path of McKenna who fired home from around five yards out.

Both teams tried hard to get goals after the break with Falkirk looking to wrap up victory and City to level the match, but defences were well on top and the nearest goal-scoring opportunity fell for Falkirk in the 77th minute when a Gary Fusco short pass-back was intercepted by Farid El Algai but Scott was quick off his line to avert the danger.

The Postmatch interview is up at the link below. Jim Weir has good things to say and looks ahead to the season.

Postmatch Interview


23 July 2011
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 596
David McKenna 40
Rhys Bennett 26
Darren Dods 33

Brechin City

1 David Scott
2 Paul McLean
3 Mick Dunlop
4 Gerry McLauchlan
5 Scot Buist
6 Garry Brady
7 Paul McManus
8 Gary Fusco
9 David McKenna
10 Graham Weir
11 Derek Carcary
12 Charlie King
14 David McClune
15 Jim Lister
16 Michael Potter
17 None None


  • On: Jim Lister
    Off: Graham Weir ( 64 )
  • On: Charlie King
    Off: Paul McManus ( 64 )
  • On: David McClune
    Off: Garry Brady ( 76 )


1 Michael McGovern
2 Keiran Duffy
3 Thomas Scobie
4 Darren Dods
5 Rhys Bennett
6 Stuart Murdoch
7 Blair Alston
8 Mark Millar
9 Farid El Alagui
10 Kallum Higginbotham
11 Stephen Kingsley
12 Craig Sibbald
14 Dale Fulton
15 Murray Wallace
16 Alistair Graham
17 Graham Bowman


  • On: Murray Wallace
    Off: Blair Alston ( 85 )