Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 4 Kilmarnock 4

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City 4 Kilmarnock 4

Brechin City and Kilmarnock shared eight goals in a thoroughly entertaining pre-season friendly at Glebe Park last night.

City started strongly against their Premier League visitors and grabbed the lead after four minutes.

Paul McLean made a strong run into the Killie penalty-area and passed to David McKenna who had his shot blocked by James Fowler but the ball fell kindly for Carcary who had an easy task in slotting a left-foot shot past Kyle Letheren in the Killie goal.

The visitors hit back five minutes later though to level the match.

Danny Buijs played a great pasd through the City defence to Danny Racchi whose left-foot lob from just within the box gave Craig Nelson no chance.

City had a chance to regain the lead a couple of minutes later when Carcary broke free on the left and crossed into the box for McKenna but his header was well held by Letheren.

Killie were moving the ball around well and a Gary Harkins shot was well saved by Nelson in the 19th minute.

City though grabbed the lead for the second time four minutes later.

Carcary was fouled in the box by Manuel Pascali and Molloy stepped up to blast the spot-kick home.

Killie made ten changes at the break with Fowler the only player remaining from the starting eleven while City replaced keeper Nelson with David Scott with Graham Weir coming on for Brian Fairbairn.

Killie exerted a lot of pressure on the early stages of the second-half without creating any clear-cut chances and they fell further behind in the 70th minute to a fine City goal.

Carcary picked up the ball in midfield and sent a long pass wide on the left to Weir who bore in on goal before firing home a beauty into the bottom corner of the net.

Killie though reduced the deficit three minutes later when James Dayton curled a superb free-kick beyond Scott into the right top corner of the net.

City were proving to be every bit as good as their more illustrious opponents and they increased their advantage in the 78th minute when McManus rounded keeper Cameron Bell for goal number four, but Killie again reduced the deficit a minute later through Ben Hutchison and with a minute remaining they drew level when a great right-foot strike from Gary Fisher gave Scott no chance.


12 July 2011
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 302
Derek Carcary 4
Craig Molloy 23 (Pen)
Graham Weir 70
Paul McManus 78
Danny Racchi 9
James Dayton 73
Ben Hutchison 79
Gary Fisher 88

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Gerry McLauchlan
3 Mick Dunlop
4 Paul McLean
5 Scot Buist
6 Neil Janczyk
7 Gary Fusco
8 Craig Molloy
9 Derek Carcary
10 David McKenna
11 Brian Fairbairn
12 Graham Weir
14 Charlie King
15 Paul McManus
16 Garry Brady
17 David Scott


  • On: Charlie King
    Off: Gary Fusco ( 27 )
  • On: David Scott
    Off: Craig Nelson ( 46 )
  • On: Graham Weir
    Off: Brian Fairbairn ( 46 )


1 Kyle Letheren
2 Tim Clancy
3 Garry Hay
4 James Fowler
5 Liam Kelly
6 Danny Buijis
7 Gary Harkins
8 Zdenek Kroca
9 Paul Heffernan
10 Danny Racchi
11 Manuel Pascali
12 Gary Fisher
14 Ryan O'Leary
15 James Dayton
16 Ben Hutchison
17 Cameron Bell


  • On: Gary Fisher
    Off: Tim Clancy ( 46 )
  • On: Ben Hutchison
    Off: Gary Harkins ( 46 )
  • On: Cameron Bell
    Off: Kyle Letheren ( 46 )