Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Buckie Thistle 0 Brechin City 4

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City's pre-season build-up continued with a comfortable and emphatic 4-0 win over Buckie Thistle at Victoria Park.

Neil Janczyk, Graham Weir, Paul McManus and trialist Brian Fairbairn were all on the mark for Jim Weir's men who dominated the ninety minutes.

The first chance fell for Buckie in the 4th minute when Paul Napier broke free on the right and delivered a good cross into the box for Craig MacMillan, whose volley went well over the bar.

However, City responded with a good goal three minutes later.

Garry Brady played a pass wide on the right to Gary Fusco whose cross into the box was dummied by Weir, allowing Janczyk a shot at goal, and although Janny's shot was inititially blocked, the rebound fell kindly for him and he wasted no time in firing home a low, right-foot drive.

City were dominating the early play and they went two goals up four minutes later.

The Thistle defence trying to clear their lines, sent the ball only as far as Weir at the edge of the box and he drove home the ball beyond keeper Kevin Main to double City's lead.

Buckie tried to hit back and Shawn Scott sent a header just over the bar in the 19th minute.

City, though, were well on top and they went three goals up in the 33rd minute.

Weir chased a long ball to the left bye-line and cut it back across the penalty area for McManus who fired home from only a couple of yards out.

City had another goal-scoring opportunity five minutes later when Weir again, chased and won a long pass out to the left and crossed into the box for Fusco whose first-time volley was blocked by the home defence.

City started the second-half with Craig Nelson, Charlie King and Fairbairn replacing David Scott, Weir and Brady respectively but it was the hosts who threatened first when MacMillan headed a Darren Wooid cross just past in the 55th minute.

City hit right back and Main had to look sharp to keep out a King header from a Fairbairn cross a couple of minutes later.

In the 63rd minute, a great move from City ended when King set up Fusco, but the midfielder's fierce right-foot drive was well wide of the target.

However, the fourth goal was only delayed, and it came a couple of minutes later when Fairbairn linked up well with King to fire a good drive past Main.

City were powering forward at every opportunity and a Craig Molloy right-foot drive from 20 yards in the 70th minute just skimmed the crossbar.

City had a let-off in the 77th minute when Buckie sub Robbie Brown was clean through on goal, but Nelson stuck out a leg to prevent what looked to be a certain goal.

City, though were well in control and Fairbairn came close to scoring his second goal and Brechin's fifth in the 82nd minute when his right-foot angular drive from just within the box went past the post.


9 July 2011
Victoria Park
Attendance: 0
Neil Janczyk 7
Graham Weir 11
Paul McManus 33
Brian Fairbairn 65

Brechin City

1 David Scott
2 David McClune
3 Mick Dunlop
4 Paul McLean
5 Scot Buist
6 Garry Brady
7 Gary Fusco
8 Craig Molloy
9 Paul McManus
10 Graham Weir
11 Neil Janczyk
12 Charlie King
14 Gerry McLauchlan
15 Brian Fairbairn
16 Michael Potter
17 Craig Nelson


  • On: Craig Nelson
    Off: David Scott ( 46 )
  • On: Brian Fairbairn
    Off: Garry Brady ( 46 )
  • On: Charlie King
    Off: Graham Weir ( 46 )

Buckie Thistle

1 Kevin Main
2 Bob Duncan
3 Jamie Shewan
4 David MacRae
5 Darren Wood
6 Michael Morrison
7 Paul Napier
8 Graeme Stewart
9 Craig MacMillan
10 Shawn Scott
11 Gary Clark
12 Andy Low
14 Robbie Brown
15 Lewis MacKinnon
16 Zander Sutherland
17 Andrew Gardiner


  • On: Robbie Brown
    Off: David MacRae ( 46 )
  • On: Lewis MacKinnon
    Off: Darren Wood ( 46 )
  • On: Zander Sutherland
    Off: Graeme Stewart ( 46 )