Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 2 Airdrie United 1

Match Report - By John Hoey

Brechin City will go into Saturday’s First Division Second-Leg play-off against Airdrie United defending a one goal advantage after a superb display at Glebe Park.

Jim Duffy’s men were in impressive form from start to finish and were desperately unlucky to be only taking a one goal lead into Saturday’s second-leg at Excelsior Stadium.

The manager was justifiably proud of his players after the final whistle and was fulsome in his praise of their efforts.

“ We played exceptionally well for the whole 90 minutes against a full-time side from a higher division and the only disappointing aspect from our point of view was that our margin of victory wasn’t greater,” said Jim.

“ It was a terrific team performance and we didn’t have a failure.”

“ We played a really positive formation which I think the players enjoyed and I also greatly enjoyed watching them tonight.”

“ I can’t praise the lads enough for the performance they produced and they fully deserved their win.”

City made three changes from the side that drew 1-1 with Stirling Albion on Saturday.

Krisjanis Vallers, Terry Masson and Jon Seeley dropped to the bench with Rory McAllister, Paul McLean and Kevin Byers coming into the starting line-up.

City had the first chance of the match after only three minutes when a 15 yard McAllister drive went just over and a minute later, Charlie King just failed to gather a great pass from Steven Canning.

Airdrie hit back straight away though and Nelson had to look sharp to block a shot from Scott McGlauchlin and a couple of minutes later, John Baird sent a right-foot drive just past the post.

However, City went back on the offensive, and they grabbed the lead with a wonderful goal from McALLISTER in the 10th minute.

The striker passed wide to King and was on hand to collect the return pass before deftly lobbing Diamonds keeper from just within the penalty area.

City’s joy was short-lived however as the visitors were on level terms within five minutes.

Baird picked up a long ball from defence right on the left bye-line and sent over a low cross into the box which was volleyed home by SCOTT GEMMILL.

City pushed forward in an effort to regain the lead and McAllister and King both came close and McAllister who was having an outstanding game was desperately unlucky not give his side the lead again in the 34th minute when his header from a King corner was blocked on the line by Diarmuid O’Carroll.

Airdrie though had a couple of chances themselves when Gemmill headed a Ricky Waddell cross over the bar and Baird had a 20 yard shot well saved by Nelson.

City powered forward and they took the lead for the second time from the penalty-spot a couple of minutes before the break.

McAllister weaved his way into the penalty-area before being brought down by Robert Donnelly. Referee Brian Winter immediately pointed to the penalty-spot and CHARLIE KING stepped up to blast the spot kick beyond Hollis.

City continued to push forward after the break and Hollis did well to parry a Kevin Byers effort in the 57th minute.

Byers came close for City again in the 70th minute when his volley from a King corner looked net-bound until a last-gasp Ryan McCann block prevented it from entering the net.

City were putting their First Division opponents under a lot of pressure and a Mark Docherty drive from just within the box went inches past the post in the 72nd minute.

Airdrie weren’t out of it but their goal threat was mainly coming from long-range efforts from their midfield players, particularly McGlauchlin who tried another 20 yard drive a couple of minutes later, but Nelson saved easily.

With five minutes remaining, a wonderful pass from Canning put McAllister in the clear but the striker took too wide an angle in rounding the keeper and he prodded the ball past the post.

City came close again in the 86th minute when a Byers cross across the face of the penalty-box went straight to Richard Walker whose low, right-foot drive went just inches past the far post and a great save from Hollis prevented Byers from adding to City’s lead with just a couple of minutes remaining.

Airdrie boss Kenny Black said,

“ We were lucky to come away with only a 2-1 defeat.
“ Brechin thoroughly deserved their victory.”

“ They had more appetite and more hunger and we got what we deserved.”

Other Results - Playoff 1st Leg

Cowdenbeath 1 Alloa Athletic 1

Even Stevens At Central Park


5 May 2010
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 583
Rory McAllister 10
Charlie King 44 (Pen)
Scott Gemmill 15

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Richard Walker
3 Mark Docherty
4 Barry Smith
5 Paul McLean
6 Steven Canning
7 Kevin Byers
8 Gary Fusco
9 Rory McAllister
10 Charlie King
11 Mark Archdeacon
12 Krisjanis Vallers
14 Terry Masson
15 Mark Cowan
16 Jonathon Seeley
17 David Scott


  • On: Krisjanis Vallers
    Off: Mark Archdeacon ( 82 )

Airdrie United

1 Lee Hollis
2 Simon Storey
3 Paul Lovering
4 Marc Smyth
5 Robert Donnelly
6 Scott McGlauchlin
7 Ryan McCann
8 Scott Gemmill
9 Diarmuid O'Carroll
10 John Baird
11 Richard Waddell
12 Darren Smith
14 Kevin McDonald
15 Alan Trouten
16 Paul Keegan
17 Stephen Robertson


  • On: Alan Trouten
    Off: Paul Lovering ( 62 )
  • On: Paul Keegan
    Off: Diarmuid O'Carroll ( 72 )