Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Cowdenbeath 1 Brechin City 1

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City and Cowdenbeath always seem to serve up an entertaining encounter, and yesterday’s Scottish Cup tie was no exception, despite both sides producing fewer goals than in recent matches.

Having already played each other 7 days earlier, both sets of supporters can be excused for being fed up of the sight of the opposition by the end of the match. Cowdenbeath fans in particular anyway, as they have yet to beat City in the 3 meetings this season.

Elimination was staring City in the face as the time started to tick away before Kevin Byers popped up with a priceless equaliser 3 minutes into stoppage time to force a replay.

City were once again without the injured John Ward, who wasn’t fit enough to take on his former employers while Scott Walker and long term absentee Grant Johnson were unavailable again.

The home side once again started three former City players in the shape of keeper David Hay, experienced midfielder David Hannah and Martyn Fotheringham.

Michael O’Neill stuck to the line-up which drew 2-2 with local rivals Forfar Athletic on Tuesday with Ross Archibald pairing up with former Cowden man David White in defence as they looked to snuff out the threat of Markus Paaterlainen and top scorer Liam Buchanan upfront.

An impressive number of City fans came down to Fife for the game to back the team as they looked to progress into the fourth round of the cup. Cowden were also hoping to advance to the fourth stage for the first time in 14 years.

Cowdenbeath were by far the better team in the first half with City struggling to create any clear cut chances, but in fact neither side had really carved any opportunities before the home side took the lead in the 22nd minute.

Former City man Martyn Fotheringham whipped a cross into the box and the ball was only half cleared by the Brechin defence and they paid the price when the ball fell for Pat Clarke, who slammed the ball high into the net from 10 yards.

The hosts kept up the pressure and David White had to be alert to clear another Clarke effort off the line. Minutes later the Blue Brazil came close again when Nelson did fantastically well to tip over a powerful goal-bound header from Markus Paaterlainen as Cowden attacked furiously to double their advantage.

As the first half drew to a close, Kevin Byers, who was relatively quiet throughout the match, snatched at an opportunity and slammed his effort high and wide from outside the box.

At the interval, no doubt Michael O’Neill and Gareth Evans had some choice words with the lads in the dressing room and whatever they said; it worked as City came out with all guns blazing in the second period.

Barely three minutes into the second half City were awarded a penalty when Iain Russell was barged off the ball by Laurie Ellis and the referee immediately pointed to the spot. Iain Russell stepped up to take the penalty himself but he couldn’t keep it down and the ball smashed off the crossbar, and the ball was cleared to safety by the Cowden defence.

Barely a few minutes later City had another glorious chance to equalise. Darren Smith made a surging run from midfield and as he entered the area he rounded keeper David Hay and with the ball running away from him, Iain Russell somehow hit the bar from 8 yards out with the goal at his mercy.

However, it was the Blue Brazil who pushed forward mid-way through the second half looking to put the game beyond doubt. It looked as if Liam Buchanan had found the net for the hosts but former Cowden favourite David White was once again on hand to head the ball clear.

Michael O’Neill put on two strikers in the shape of Chris Geddes and Paddy Connolly, replacing defenders Richard Walker and Stuart Ferguson as City pushed men forward in search of an equaliser.

But it was Cowden who looked the likelier to score in the closing stages when Markus Paaterlainen beat his man before crashing a left foot shot off the post, with Craig Nelson getting a vital fingertip on the shot.

Just as both sets of supporters edged towards the exits, a Steven Ferguson forward ball was only partially cleared and Kevin Byers slammed a low shot into the far corner in aid of a deflection to send the City support into raptures.

City suffered a scare in the closing stages when a cross wasn’t cleared properly and David Hannah attempted a cheeky back-heel just a few yards from goal and Nelson pounced to smother the ball on the line, although Cowden fans felt the ball had crossed the line.

Overall, it wasn’t a classic performance by Brechin but they must be given credit for sticking in right until the end and they got their reward with the equaliser.

City gaffer Michael O’Neill said: “It was an enthralling cup tie, with loads of incidents but we consider ourselves fortunate and we are given the chance to hopefully win the tie at our own ground.”

Both sides will battle it out again in the replay at Glebe Park a week on Tuesday (16th January) with a 7:45pm kick off. The winner of the tie will travel to face either Dundee or Queen of the South in the next round.

This means that ourselves and Cowden will have faced each other at least 6 times by the end of the season, which is ridiculous to say the least.

Other Results - Tennent's Scottish Cup Round 3

Airdrie United 0 Motherwell 1

Motherwell edge out Airdrie in the Lanarkshire derby.

Berwick Rangers 0 Falkirk 2

Berwick put up a good fight against their SPL opponents.

Celtic 4 Dumbarton 0

Celtic comfortably dispose of 3rd division outfit Dumbarton.

Clyde 0 Gretna 3

Gretna record a comfortable victory at Broadwood.

Deveronvale 5 Elgin City 4

Deveronvale come out on top in a 9 goal thriller.

Dundee 1 Queen of the South 1

A replay at Palmerston beckons...

Hamilton Academical 2 Livingston 4

Livingston hammer fellow 1st division side Hamilton.

Morton 3 Kilmarnock 1

Shock of the day as Morton put out SPL side Kilmarnock.

Ross County 0 Partick Thistle 1

A narrow win for Partick up north in Dingwall.


6 January 2007
Central Park
Attendance: 675
Pat Clarke 22
Kevin Byers 90

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Richard Walker
3 Stuart Ferguson
4 Ross Archibald
5 David White
6 Kevin Byers
7 Stuart Callaghan
8 Charlie King
9 Steve Hampshire
10 Iain Russell
11 Darren Smith
12 Paddy Connolly
14 Chris Geddes
15 Matt Flynn
16 Steven Ferguson
17 John Hillcoat


  • On: Steven Ferguson
    Off: Charlie King ( 66 )
  • On: Paddy Connolly
    Off: Stuart Ferguson ( 73 )
  • On: Chris Geddes
    Off: Richard Walker ( 80 )


1 David Hay
2 Mark Baxter
3 Laurie Ellis
4 David Hannah
5 Innes Ritchie
6 Dougie Hill
7 Patrick Scullion
8 Martyn Fotheringham
9 Liam Buchanan
10 Pat Clarke
11 Markus Paaterlainen
12 Scott Dalziel
14 Gary Fusco
15 Kevin McBride
16 Steven Weir
17 Kyle Allison


  • On: Steven Weir
    Off: Martyn Fotheringham ( 75 )
  • On: Gary Fusco
    Off: Patrick Scullion ( 84 )
  • On: Scott Dalziel
    Off: Pat Clarke ( 90 )