Brechin City Football Club

Glebe Park, Brechin, Angus DD9 6BJ

Tel : 01356 623344
Email :

Brechin City 1 Peterhead 0

Match Report - By Steven Mew

City were looking to back on track today as three league matches without a victory saw the team slip to 6th in the table, behind today’s visitors on goal difference. However, City could take positives from the draw against a strong Ipswich side in the Centenary Match last Thursday, and a 3-2 win in a friendly against Livingston on Monday meant City were more than fired up for the visit of the Blue Toon.

The two sides played each other at Balmoor on the opening day of the season and settled for a share of the points in a 1-1 draw, although City could consider themselves unfortunate not to have taken all three after their battling performance in the second half.

Manager Michael O’Neill adopted a 4-4-2 formation which saw Craig Nelson start between the sticks, Ross Archibald, David White, John Ward and Stuart Ferguson in defence, Richard Walker, Stuart Callaghan, Charlie King and Darren Smith in midfield, and Steven Hampshire and Iain Russell upfront. Peterhead danger-man Bobby Linn, who recently won the SFL Player of the Month award, started upfront for the visitors and proved to be a handful for the City defence throughout the match before he was substituted late in the second half.

A win was a must for both teams as they look to finish in the play-off’s come the end of the season, and it was City who started off the better of the two sides when Iain Russell was played through on goal after just two minutes but Paul Mathers slid out to save at the feet of the pacey striker, who is still looking for his first goal in a red jersey.

City came close once again after ten minutes when a cross from the right hand side was headed out by the Peterhead defence, but only as far as Stuart Callaghan on the edge of the box, and his chip went narrowly over the bar.

City may have created the first couple of chances but Peterhead were always causing problems at the other end on the break, and should have opened the scoring on the quarter hour mark. Bobby Linn evaded the challenges of two City defenders and with only the keeper to beat; he struck the ball tamely at Craig Nelson in the City goal.

This was a real let off for City and they created a chance at the other end just a minute later. Darren Smith made a neat pass inside for Charlie King who jinked past a defender before slamming the ball just wide of the post.

However, poor defending at the other end once again nearly gifted Peterhead the opener. A cross from the left hand side somehow evaded several City defenders in the box and the ball fell for Stuart McKay at the back post, who lashed his effort over the bar when he really should have at least hit the target.

The end to end nature of the match turned into a midfield battle mid-way through the first half as both sides attempted to carve out some chances. Bobby Linn came close when he headed wide from a Graeme Sharp cross.

Iain Russell, who has worked his socks off in the past few games with no reward, came close once again for the home side when he beat keeper Paul Mathers to a loose ball outside the box but his touch took him out wide and his shot from distance ended up high and wide. To be fair it was really difficult to hit the target from where he was but his initial touch let him down badly and left himself with far too much work to do.

With three minutes to go before the break, City grabbed a deserved opener. The referee played advantage after Iain Russell had been fouled in midfield and Charlie King latched onto the loose ball and hammered the ball low past Paul Mathers at his near post to put City in front.

City went in at half time with a one goal advantage but Michael O’Neill made one change at the break, with Scott Walker replacing the disappointing Stuart Ferguson. Peterhead went close twice early in the second half as they search for an equaliser. Bryan Gilfillan had a drive from distance which flew over the crossbar while Craig Nelson saved well at the near post to deny Keith Gibson.

At the other end City came agonisingly close to doubling their advantage when a stramash in the box ended in David White prodding past Mathers and towards to the goal but Mark Perry was on hand to clear the ball off the line and away to safety.

Charlie King was instrumental in the midfield for Brechin and showing signs that he is back to his best after his injury which kept him out for much of the season. His passing and movement was fantastic and he also tracked back to help in defence. It was ‘Chucky’ who created the next chance for Brechin when he drilled low into the side netting from a difficult angle.

With 18 minutes from time, Kevin Byers made his comeback from a knee injury when he replaced David White who picked up a knock. City fans will be hoping Byers returns to full fitness soon as on his day, he is undoubtedly one of the most talented individuals in the league.

In the last quarter of an hour, Brechin defended in numbers as they looked to hold out for a narrow victory but the Blue Toon came close a few times in the closing stages. A goal-bound shot from Bryan Gilfillan was blocked by the home defence while Craig Nelson made a fantastic stop to deny former Forfar man Martin Bavidge.

With five minutes to go Martin Wood headed over the bar from a Bryan Gilfillan cross but Brechin held out for an important victory which saw them leapfrog Peterhead and into 5th place.

Results elsewhere also went in favour for City today as both Stirling and Ayr played out a goalless draw while Cowdenbeath were beaten by Alloa at Recreation Park. City are now equal on points with both Stranraer and Cowdenbeath and lie just three points adrift of second place. Another big match awaits City next week-end as they travel to Forthbank to take on high flying Stirling Albion. A win there may well propel City a couple of places up in the league and into a more respectable position.

Other Results - Bell's League Division 2

Alloa Athletic 2 Cowdenbeath 1

Alloa pick up a fine win at home to Cowdenbeath.

Ayr United 0 Stirling Albion 0

Share of the spoils between two high flying teams.

Raith Rovers 1 Morton 3

Morton come from behind to defeat Raith comfortably.

Stranraer 3 Forfar Athletic 2

A second half winner from Michael Moore was just enough for Stranraer.


14 October 2006
Carnegie Fuels Stadium at Glebe Park
Attendance: 487
Charlie King 42

Brechin City

1 Craig Nelson
2 Ross Archibald
3 Stuart Ferguson
4 John Ward
5 David White
6 Stuart Callaghan
7 Richard Walker
8 Charlie King
9 Iain Russell
10 Steve Hampshire
11 Darren Smith
12 John Hillcoat
14 Scott Walker
15 Paddy Connolly
16 Chris Geddes
17 Kevin Byers


  • On: Scott Walker
    Off: Stuart Ferguson ( 46 )
  • On: Chris Geddes
    Off: Iain Russell ( 61 )
  • On: Kevin Byers
    Off: David White ( 72 )


1 Paul Mathers
2 Stephen McNally
3 Dougie Cameron
4 Craig Tully
5 Mark Perry
6 Keith Gibson
7 Graeme Sharp
8 Jamie Buchan
9 Stuart McKay
10 Bobby Linn
11 Bryan Gilfillan
12 John McAfferty
14 Ashley McInnes
15 Allan Youngson
16 Martin Bavidge
17 Martin Wood


  • On: Martin Wood
    Off: Stuart McKay ( 76 )
  • On: Martin Bavidge
    Off: Bobby Linn ( 76 )
  • On: Allan Youngson
    Off: Keith Gibson ( 85 )